Dartin for Divorce

-
I had the same problem on the Valiant. The rear springs were just plain soggy. They were adequate - just barely - driving with just me and/or my sweetie, but anything else and they'd bottom out on a big dip or driveway. The Dart had a set of helpers springs I took off when I put the new ones on, so I added those to the Valiant. Problem solved, it's like a whole new car to drive. I will replace the rear springs later when I get into the Valiant, but it's a very workable fix for as long as I need it. They are similar to these I found on Amazon (the photo in the listing is awful, but I think you'll get the idea). And they are cheap. When I installed mine I just pulled the U-bolts and slid the helpers under the shock plate, flattened it with a bottle jack, and tightened it back up. Easy-peasy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029K1X0/?tag=fabo03-20

Here is what the helpers looked like on the Dart, with the one from the right side already removed and sitting on the ramp.

View attachment 1715631150

There is a set for 25 bucks! But says its "missing" some hardware... I wonder what its missing.

For my personal taste the SS springs sit to height. A lot of guys on here like the Espo leaf springs.

ESPO 1 inch + springs usually give a good ride height without giving a car the stinkbug stance. Laura at ESPO has forgotten more about springs than most of us know!

eaton springs for 68' 383 a-body with dr diff hangers in the upper bolt hole. front ends a little lower now. may take a leaf out of the back later

View attachment 1715631163

Yea I've seen a lot about the espo springs, thats probably what I will end up with next year.

@kursplat those springs sit nice. I like a little bit of rake but definitely nothing crazy like I see on some old cars. It would definitely help with my rubbing problem though lol.

@halfafish do you have a picture of how the car sits with the helpers and did they raise it at all?

@Dartsun yes I've seen some cars with ss springs and they are high, but this gts has a perfect stance with them on :eek:

@67 gt you caught me... I love pink. I had to take the nail polish off though because of school. You should have seen the people at the counter while I was at the gun store yesterday though. Lol. I leave the rainbow toe nail polish on any time she paints my toes.

New SS stance B1a.jpg

@halfafish do you have a picture of how the car sits with the helpers and did they raise it at all?

@Dartsun yes I've seen some cars with ss springs and they are high, but this gts has a perfect stance with them on :eek:

@67 gt you caught me... I love pink. I had to take the nail polish off though because of school. You should have seen the people at the counter while I was at the gun store yesterday though. Lol. I leave the rainbow toe nail polish on any time she paints my toes.

View attachment 1715631792
Yeah that GTS looks pretty awesome. I’m the guy who gets 2” drop springs I like low.

Yeah that GTS looks pretty awesome. I’m the guy who gets 2” drop springs I like low.

I liked low in my vw's but I also didn't rub my tires in my fender well. To get everything "right" I'd probably need new springs, spring relocation and 275s in the rear lol.

For now let's see what the helpers look like on half's car, sometimes a bandaid works just right for a while...

So I looked on Amazon late last night again and the helpers dropped to 20 bucks so I had to get them.

Yeah, the helpers made a HUGE difference. It raised the back end about 2", and firmed it up nicely. I also cranked up the t-bars so I could get off the bump stops. I can actually hit a bump or pothole without concern now.

Here's a before pic, in low-rider mode. I had to slither around town to keep from bottoming out.

p7140794-jpg.jpg

Here's the after pic. It's a little hard to tell with black tires and wheels, but it's a whole lot better now. I'll be replacing the springs when the time comes but for now, it's a very good fix.

dscn0654-jpg.jpg

Hell I'd be happy just to be able to come up with two inches...

I used Mancini XHD springs on my Duster, they raised the car up too much, I put a 1" lowering block on them.
Nice ride height now, I will take the block out, if they ever sag down.
From what I remember they were like $200 shipped, but that was about 5 years ago.

I have a set of springs i pulled off a 69 convertible, will likely break the stacks down and add a leaf to my dart. And maybe one to barracuda as well. The suspension has been out of both cars so it will be an easy job.

Mail was on point today... I also got a special holder for the p365xl...

This is also a great picture stolen from Facebook. This is me and Ruby when I allow her to get married. Except she will probably be driving my crying ***...

20201118_183359.jpg

Screenshot_20201118-183208_Facebook.jpg

I have a set of springs i pulled off a 69 convertible, will likely break the stacks down and add a leaf to my dart. And maybe one to barracuda as well. The suspension has been out of both cars so it will be an easy job.

I've seen a lot of reviews and people posting about the 35 dollar add a leaf kit from summit. Most people seem to like them, but I also was reading adding a leaf is quite a bit more work.

I've seen a lot of reviews and people posting about the 35 dollar add a leaf kit from summit. Most people seem to like them, but I also was reading adding a leaf is quite a bit more work.
All work and no money. Seems like thats how my life goes too. Actually,it hasnt been too bad lately. I have a couple nickles left i can rub together.

All work and no money. Seems like thats how my life goes too. Actually,it hasnt been too bad lately. I have a couple nickles left i can rub together.

I can't wait until I can work, and the feeling of getting some money in my pockets.

I cant wait until covid is over. I feel the need for another vegas trip. Gotta go visit Steve Darnell again.

I cant wait until covid is over. I feel the need for another vegas trip. Gotta go visit Steve Darnell again.

I’m still kicking myself for not taking advantage of this teleworking thing and loading up my grandfather and driving Route 66 out west this past summer. Could have worked via laptop in the evenings and driven during the day.

-
Back