Dartin for Divorce

-
Carb rebuild complete. New gaskets, New power valve, new float needles and new jets.

The carb stock has 72/83 jets. The ones I took out were 74/83. I put in 2 jet sizes down from stock so now it has 70/81. I also made sure my idle flaps show just the top of the hole like holley says.

So ill try starting it up soon and she how she does...

20210210_115304.jpg

Well we tried and failed...

Flooded the **** out of the engine... again... Fuel pouring out of the rear venturies and float bowl all the way filled with gas... Also maybe ill pull the rear bowl off and check the vent baffle. I checked it before I put the bowl on, it confuses me though.

It wasn't my fault though... the rear needle got stuck open... there was a big piece of rubber in it, have no clue where it came from... maybe a piece of the oring on the needle... New (old) needle in the carbs rear bowl now.

I'll take the plugs out, clear the cylinders of any gas then ill try again tomorrow...

My wife yelled at me... said "get a tow truck, take that ******* thing to Tony's since you can't fix it and don't bring it back until its fixed..." ouch :elmer:.. I love you to my wife... :rolleyes:

Oh.. also saw some awesome exhaust tips.

20210210_173118.jpg

20210210_174943.jpg

20210210_182652.jpg

20210210_182742.jpg

Screenshot_20210210-160635_Samsung Internet.jpg

The rubber chunk could be fuel line disintegrating somewhere or gunk from the carbs previous owner still in the entry or other passages. Compressed air, carb cleaner, etc to blow everything out is rarely a bad idea.

One of the nice things about an electric pump is that you get to find out if the floats are sticking before turning the engine over... Also easier starting after it sits a few days (at least with an eddy carb in my experience).

Check your oil for a gas smell or over filling before cranking it though. If it flooded that bad, the oil can get diluted and that can cost extra.

I agree with the guys on the Taylor wires they’ve been great to me over the years. Sorry about your carb issues. I like the edelbrock cause I don’t mess with carbs much

The rubber chunk could be fuel line disintegrating somewhere or gunk from the carbs previous owner still in the entry or other passages. Compressed air, carb cleaner, etc to blow everything out is rarely a bad idea.

One of the nice things about an electric pump is that you get to find out if the floats are sticking before turning the engine over... Also easier starting after it sits a few days (at least with an eddy carb in my experience).

Check your oil for a gas smell or over filling before cranking it though. If it flooded that bad, the oil can get diluted and that can cost extra.

I dont have an electric pump.

Ill check oil, I bought new oil to do an oil change.

Ill pull the carb again to clean it all out again.

I agree with the guys on the Taylor wires they’ve been great to me over the years. Sorry about your carb issues. I like the edelbrock cause I don’t mess with carbs much

The Edelbrock was set it and forget it... this one not so much yet.

But the cool thing is how much I've learned about carbs (mainly holley, brawler, quickfuel).. it sucks its not running great yet, but now I know how to take this whole thing apart, know where everything is, know about the different pieces and learning how to diagnose problems with it.

I am the man...if i can get it to run cleanly,,,lol....

I will bring a **** load of parts...including another carb.....

Pulled plugs, they was wet and gas smelly. Drained oil, had a little bit of a gas smell to it and was dark... needed changed anyways.

Didn't feel or see any metal at the bottom of the oil bin which is a good thing.

Done thinking about it for tonight... trying to find a spa day for the wife this weekend to make her be happy that I'll be working on the car all weekend lol...

With all the bolt cleaning Tony had me doing today I'll be a bolt cleaning pro. Thats all he lets me do when putting his engines together... clean the bolts lol.

Today we knocked in some pistons, timing chain, degree camshaft, oil pump and oil pan. After this one is finished he has 1 last engine to finish putting together... he says he has no more engine stands to do another... I told him I'd bring over some old tires to start stacking them on...

No more leaking...

Ok ok...there's isn't any oil in it to know if its really not leaking... lol but I didnt have the zinc additive, I thought I did but I only had additive for my 3rd member...

I'm going with 10W-30 this time, not 20W-50... I need the extra HP lol.

20210211_184820.jpg

20210211_184810.jpg

I may not be the brightest crayon in the box but... its running... old spark plugs still.

Its rich, but I dont hear any bad valve train noise or clanking... the oil didn't have any metal in it. My fuel pressure guage shows 7psi of fuel pressure... hopefully thats not to much for the holley.

Tomorrow should be fun.

Last edited:
Did you replace the power valve that'll dump fuel in there like a ****

No oil leak again...

Why so much oil you ask? Because I put the wrong oil in my car... I put 5w-40 that was meant for my jeep... so I drained it and refilled the dart with the right 10w-30. Will get some more zinc in the am before Tony comes over.

I blame my helper...

20210212_204439.jpg

20210212_205522.jpg

-
Back