Demon Carb

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
Bought a 850 mighty demon on E-bay a week ago. Seemed like a good deal at the time. Carb looks really nice, but the 3 of the bolts that hold the bowls on are stripped out on the main body. My question, Is there a fix for this or will I need a new main body, There are alot of replacement body's on E-Bay but nobody seems to know if they will work on a Demon carb. Shouldn't the Demon and Holley be the same body? THanks Rick

Demons use their own body. I do not see why you couldn't put a Helicoil insert in the stripped out holes. If I owned the carb that is what I would do.

Chuck

Demon puts helicoils in them from the factory the problem is the helicoils are fine, but where the helicoils go in are stripped.

I would just buy a Demon replacement body, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them. Should have bought a holley.

I would just buy a Demon replacement body, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them. Should have bought a holley.

That seems a more common problem than it should be and after all Ive heard I wont buy bg products-over on a pontiac website their is nothing but discontent for barry grant.The threads got so bad that a bg tech actaully signed on to help out but soon found out he was in way over his head,as an example this is just one of the many,many posts on their lousy customer service/products.http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482459&highlight=barry+grant+problems

At this point about all I can think of is contact Barry Grant maybe they have a fix.

Chuck

The Holley & Demon main bodies are not interchangeable. Even those bolts holding the bowls on are a larger diameter than Holley.

If you call BG their response will be send in and we will fix it and it will cost almost as much as a new one. They will not sell parts other than tuning parts. I tried to buy a main body to turn a 725 into a 650 and they refused to sell it to me. That's when I decided I won't be purchasing any more Barry Grant stuff.

They also make solid threaded inserts that you could use. Check out McMaster Carr.

Should have bought a holley.

Yup, I sold my Road Demon for 75 bucks at a swapmeet. 2 rebuild kits and the damn thing still wouldn't stay tuned. When I first bolted it on I was happy with it and the power it made but that only lasted about a week.
I just bolted the Eddy carb back on and never had a problem with it.

How about trying to epoxy the helicoils in.
Got nothing to loose, they are already stripped out.
That or send it back to the seller for a refund.
Did he state in the ad that there were no stripped threads?

Bought a 850 mighty demon on E-bay a week ago. Seemed like a good deal at the time. Carb looks really nice, but the 3 of the bolts that hold the bowls on are stripped out on the main body. My question, Is there a fix for this or will I need a new main body, There are alot of replacement body's on E-Bay but nobody seems to know if they will work on a Demon carb. Shouldn't the Demon and Holley be the same body? THanks Rick
i canned my demon for a quick fuel ss 830. i couldnt be happier.

Rick, You can fix the Demon body. Just get the Heli-coil kit the right size for the bowl screws. The problem with the Demon is the bowl screws are too short. Install the heli-coils and take care not to over tighten the bowl screws when you put it together. I had the same problem with a 750 Demon I bought.
Hope this helps you. Gary

Sorry to hear of your problem,but just a heads-up.. Demon carbs can be a handfull to adjust ,they're very tempermental carbs,i had one years back took awhile to get it adjusted,when i finally got it right i sold the car..lol..

I agree with the comment about the Quickfuel carb,i'm running their 850 on my stroker hands down "best" carb. i ever bought...

I got my first Demon this week. Its alot like a Holley but with some good metal polish it really shines up.

I have Holley quick change bowls and try to put them on, fits just fine but I needed to use the Demon longer bowl screws.

I also used Holley screw in air bleeds because Demons had no big head and would be a ***** to change bending over the hood. So I have a Demon-Holley hi-bird you could say, ha ha.

The racing models-which this is-has removable boosters, unlike any Holley. Seems really nice, I had to drill the idle feeds out a few thousands and use smaller idle air bleeds--will find out this week if it works as good as it looks.

The make thread inserts too. Many believe they are better than Heli-coils. They thread in like a bolt but are threaded inside too, you tap the hole and thread the inserts in.

Holley and Demon takes the same threads but demons use longer screws.

Heres a link to a post that I asked about repairing the threads....the 2nd page has about the inserts..

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8995&highlight=threads

Demon 001 (Small).jpg

Demon 002 (Small).jpg

Demon 003 (Small).jpg

The Holley & Demon main bodies are not interchangeable. Even those bolts holding the bowls on are a larger diameter than Holley.

If you call BG their response will be send in and we will fix it and it will cost almost as much as a new one. They will not sell parts other than tuning parts. I tried to buy a main body to turn a 725 into a 650 and they refused to sell it to me. That's when I decided I won't be purchasing any more Barry Grant stuff.

They also make solid threaded inserts that you could use. Check out McMaster Carr.

They do interchange.

0803071659[1].jpg

Barry Grant will not sell you a knew body. They will wont you to send them the carb.

They do interchange.

Are you sure about that? When I had my Road Demon apart it appeared that the ports and passages on the bottom where the base plates mounted were not the same and for sure the bowl bolts were larger in diameter than the Holley bolts. Plus the choke mechanism was different. Once I gave up on the Road Demon I had visions of using the electric choke on a Holley 3310 750 and it would not mount.

Are you sure about that? When I had my Road Demon apart it appeared that the ports and passages on the bottom where the base plates mounted were not the same and for sure the bowl bolts were larger in diameter than the Holley bolts. Plus the choke mechanism was different. Once I gave up on the Road Demon I had visions of using the electric choke on a Holley 3310 750 and it would not mount.

The pic is my carb. I have no choke or anything like that. I simple put in a proform main body and that's it. Only thing that needed messed with was acouple holes for the rolled pins were alittle too shallow and some holes on the base plate were in a different location but demon gaskets have that hole oval to solve the problem. This is just my experience with doing the swap.

The road Demons are not the same. They have that tube that connects both fuel bowls.

The speed, mighty and race Demons are based on Holleys 4150's. The road Demons might be based on those other Holleys that use a tube to feed the fuel bowls.

As for just taping the next size up, you can. Use a 1/4 tap, no need for a coil or insert but the fuel bowls holes and metering bolck need to be opened up a bit.

PS never got to try my new carb yet, First the streets were all wet, then the snow came, now its zero degress outside.

Yeah, my base plate has the idle feed holes like the 1 3/4 base plates but all thats needed is to take like a .100 drill bit and open the idle feed holes or buy a Demon base plate gasket. Or use a 1 3/4 base plate gasket, still should seal .

In fact, I may end up putting a 1 3/4 base plate on my carb...if it ever warms up again :-D

The road Demons are not the same. They have that tube that connects both fuel bowls.

Nope, that is the Road Demon Jr. The Road Demon is a 4150 style carb with seperate inlets for each bowl.

When I was having trouble getting mine sorted out the only differnce I could see (other than main jet sizes) between a 725 Road Demon and a 750 Speed Demon was the electric choke assembly. The difference between the 725 and 650 Speed Demon was the size of the venturi in the main body.

I was quite disappointed in BG when they refused to sell the 650 main body.

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me out. I waited almost 4 months for Holley to send me a Demon main body. So I got tired of waiting and cancelled it and found out it was a Quick Fuel part anyway.

But, anyways I went with a ProFlow and it worked just fine.

IMG_2541.JPG

-
Back