Desert Car Kings

-
I bought parts from desert valley auto and their service is great.
I too bought a 1/4 panel from them,to be shipped Air-freight up to Toronto,Canada.This process was taking up to 2months,til I threatened to cancel.Then a nice lady stepped in and it was shipped over the wekend.WTF?I think if they,re gonna sell parts worldwid,they need to learn ALL shipping options.What took over 2 months,could,ve been done in 1 week.I was just glad to get a complete 1/4 panel(rustfree)with wheelwell and trunk extension.:hello1:
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 132.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 134.jpg

We can all debate the meaning of "restored"

Merriam webster says its this:

re·store

verb \ri-ˈstȯr\
re·storedre·stor·ing
Definition of RESTORE

transitive verb
: give back, return

: to put or bring back into existence or use

: to bring back to or put back into a former or original state : renew

: to put again in possession of something

— re·stor·er noun
.learners-link div.learners-link-content { font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0pt 5px 0pt 22px; }.learners-link div.learners-link-content a .word { text-decoration: none; }.learners-link div.learners-link-content a:hover .word { color: rgb(83, 88, 169); text-decoration: underline; }#content .definition div.d .learners-link a, #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:hover, #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:link, #content .definition div.d .learners-link a:visited { color: black; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none; } See restore defined for English-language learners »

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden { display: none; }li.more-sent-link { background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% transparent; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link, #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link { color: rgb(113, 114, 116); font-family: verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text, #content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text { text-decoration: underline; }.example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link, .example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link { display: none; }#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon { padding-right: 2px; }Examples of RESTORE

1. The police restored law and order.
  2. The government needs to restore confidence in the economy.
  3. an antique car that is being carefully restored

Origin of RESTORE

Middle English, from Anglo-French restorer, from Latin restaurare to renew, rebuild, alteration of instaurare to renewFirst Known Use: 14th century

Related to RESTORE

Synonyms: freshen, recharge, recreate, refresh, refreshen, regenerate, rejuvenate, repair, renew, resuscitate, revitalize, revive, revivify

I would say that DVAP is doing definition #2 not #3.

Putting the cars back into use.

Its a legitimate use of the word restore.

You may noty agree, but its there in black and white.

In my opinion, part of the problem here is that the high end "car restorers" have bastardized the word to mean "make better than new"...they have raised the bar so high that now they have redefined a word in the industry.

It's semantics guys.

But what is being missed here is that some folks here are assuming that the folks buying these cars from DVAP are complete idiots.

Bear with me a second.

The accusations from folks here saying that the cars DVAP "restores" are hack jobs and so half assed that all you have to do is look briefly at the car to see the problems, on TV no less. I suggested in an earlier post that it might be hard to see paint problems in a 2 second shot of the paint or body on TV. I also said that you don't see much of what is going on behind the scenes and many steps are left out of the show.

I was countered with "its easy to see the problems if you know what to look for"...basically I was told I don't know what I am seeing.

Ok, lets go with that.

The folks going to these auctions to buy old cars are looking at and examining the cars closely, in person, for a while prior to the auction.

Aside from HIDDEN flaws, everything that folks here are saying is half-assed is obvious to see in person, right?

Tremendous orange peel, ripples, poor paint work is all stuff that is pretty obvious to see in person up close on a car.

Someone esle commented about how "the undercarriages are left as-is" (Do we really know that? Or is it that that stiff is never shown in the show??)

Someone looking at the car in person would see the orange peel and ripples and (hopefully0 see if the undercarriage was a rust bucket.

If they were that bad, the cars wouldnt sell at ALL. People going to look at classic cars are different than folks looking to buy a 10 year old daily driver for cheap at an auction.

The buyers obviously think the cars are in OK enough condition to buy them at the prices they paid. They may or may not agree with the word "restored" but they may feel the car is redone well enough to be a great driver for them...or a great starting point...

Not to mention, that a car that would be actually fully "restored" by the definition some here are using (as in put into perfect, like-new shape) would sell for WAAAAAAAY more money......if ALL classic cars were "restored" by the purist's vision of the word, it would be a hobby reserved for the few.

The other possibility is that maybe these cars dont actually ever sell and the "buyers" are plants for the TV show to make the TV episode end well.

Either way, its amazing how nasty the posts have gotten.

Its JUST a tv show guys. NO ONE here knows the full details of what was or wasn't done to a car based on watching the show. For every minute of footage that makes it to air on this show there is probably an hour of unseen footage. That is normal for a show of this type, with multiple cameras running all day.

What you WONT see are potential buyers finding and pointing out flaws or asking about problems they find...stuff that any car buyer would ask about if they see it. Or hours of sanding (or not)......Of course, thats left out...that wouldnt make good TV.

DVAP isnt pretending these are concourse ready cars. They are not, and the prices they get reflect that.

So basically, people here are getting pissed off and nasty about the use of the word "restore" abd accuse DVAP of being swindlers and hacks based on that?

I wish folks got this hot and bothered about the political hacks running our country as people here on this site and other sites are getting about orange peel and the use of the word "restore". :banghead:

Just my .02. I work in the restoration industry. We work extremely hard to restore a car back to original condition. Not only does it involve preserving original parts, it involves a huge amount of research, fact checking and verification, parts hunting and tedious amounts of time consuming detailed work. Yep, there are cars that are overrestored, things being too perfect, paint way over the top and whatnot. For these guys to say that they restore a car simply diminishes the craftmanship involved in a true restoration. Perhaps they should use the term revive or maybe rebuild.

Just my .02. I work in the restoration industry. We work extremely hard to restore a car back to original condition. Not only does it involve preserving original parts, it involves a huge amount of research, fact checking and verification, parts hunting and tedious amounts of time consuming detailed work. Yep, there are cars that are overrestored, things being too perfect, paint way over the top and whatnot. For these guys to say that they restore a car simply diminishes the craftmanship involved in a true restoration. Perhaps they should use the term revive or maybe rebuild.

+1. It's difficult enough to teach the craft to people who want instant gratification. Doubly so when entertainment passes as fact.

Ken

People still missing the point. :director:They are RESTORING the cars. True they may not RESTORE the cars to like new or better, BUT they are RESTORING the car to a USABLE condition. I, like many here are either planning or currently RESTORING our cars to the condition that our funds will allow. I'm just glad the word RESTORE don't carry weight like the word/gay slur that Kobe Bryant used or everyone would be out of money and they cars taken!!!! :sign5:

People still missing the point. :director:They are REBUILDING the cars. True they may not REBUILD the cars to like new or better, BUT they are REBUILDING the car to a USABLE condition. I, like many here are either planning or currently REBUILDING our cars to the condition that our funds will allow. I'm just glad the word REBUILD don't carry weight like the word/gay slur that Kobe Bryant used or everyone would be out of money and they cars taken!!!! :sign5:

Fixed it for ya'. Understand now?

Obviously you don't understand what the meaning of the word RESTORE is :banghead:. It's been listed before so I'm not goin thru that again. I see you need to be treated like a 2nd grader...Go back to ya desk and study the word again. If you have a prob with the DEFINITION of the word RESTORE then take that up wit Webster's dictionary......It's six in one hand half a dozen in the next.....I guess since you don't understand the word RESTORE than you won't get the meaning of that saying either.....:eek:ops:

Obviously you don't understand what the meaning of the word RESTORE is :banghead:. It's been listed before so I'm not goin thru that again. I see you need to be treated like a 2nd grader...Go back to ya desk and study the word again. If you have a prob with the DEFINITION of the word RESTORE then take that up wit Webster's dictionary......It's six in one hand half a dozen in the next.....I guess since you don't understand the word RESTORE than you won't get the meaning of that saying either.....:eek:ops:

Oh no son, I get what you are trying to say. Do you understand what you are saying? If we are to hold your belief that Webster is the definitive word, that would mean what I do has no value. It's merely a word. I could just skip the hundreds or thousands of hours spent on every detail of a car to bring it back to the condition it was in on the showroom floor. Thanks man, I can now go and just slap a one hour paint job on a car and call it restored. Do you realize how much time you just saved me? Not to mention the increase in my profits. Heck, I don't even have to build that number matching motor for the T/A, I can just paint up a 318 and throw it in there. It's all the same, right?

Treated like a second grader? Seriously? Let me know when I can devalue what you do for a living with semantics. Keep in mind that I don't do my job because it's just a job. I rebuild a lot of cars. I do a bunch of upgrades to cars. There are a select few cars that I (are you ready?) RESTORE.

Oh no son, I get what you are trying to say. Do you understand what you are saying? If we are to hold your belief that Webster is the definitive word, that would mean what I do has no value. It's merely a word. I could just skip the hundreds or thousands of hours spent on every detail of a car to bring it back to the condition it was in on the showroom floor. Thanks man, I can now go and just slap a one hour paint job on a car and call it restored. Do you realize how much time you just saved me? Not to mention the increase in my profits. Heck, I don't even have to build that number matching motor for the T/A, I can just paint up a 318 and throw it in there. It's all the same, right?

Treated like a second grader? Seriously? Let me know when I can devalue what you do for a living with semantics. Keep in mind that I don't do my job because it's just a job. I rebuild a lot of cars. I do a bunch of upgrades to cars. There are a select few cars that I (are you ready?) RESTORE.

Whateva dude. I know what you saying . Like I say before if you don't agree with what the dictionary say a word means, take that up with Webster's and I sure they'll change it for lil ol you...:book: We both know what the word restore means. Now what the word MEANS to YOU is a different thing. I didn't mean to devalue your work, neva did I say anything about ya work....but it is what it is.....You can use the word in different ways depending on the sentence. Would you not agree that there are different levels to restore or a restoration? Would you not agree that they are (no matter the level or accuaracy) restoring (or bringing back to use) a car that's sittin round rustin out???.....If you don't agree then I know you don't get it....Part of the reason the price of parts be so friggin high is cause of the same word "RESTORE"!!!! So you mean to tell me that I can't "RESTORE" my OWN car cause I'm not putting correct dated parts and painting it the same way they did at the factory???? Now you can RESTORE your thongs to there proper position.....:thumblef:

Just to add my two cents here --

How does that the fact that you found a steal from a fellow FABO member in any way mean that a business should match those prices?

Not sure if you remember this or not, but months ago I posted a fender for an early dart for sale here for my aunt and uncle....it was an original mopar stamped part, brand new. I think we priced it at $350???

Well, I got PMs from people telling me we were nuts and out of our minds for asking that kind of money.

Well, My aunt sold it not long after for $350....the guy drove two hours to get it and was ecstatic!

I have gotten some great deals from forum members on this and the cuda-challenger forum.....but could I expect a business to give me as low a price as someone who has an extra spritzer valve laying in his garage and is willing to let it go cheap? Of course not.

I have been helped by a lot of forum members with parts for my car.....but none of us are in the business of selling or buying parts....its our HOBBY.

What would have been a "realistic price" for the fender DVAP is selling?

$350 for an NOS fender is a great price. not for a used part. Since you asked i think they price their parts about twice as high as what is reasonable.

You do not need to define restore to me. I was an english major, My point is in the classic car world a "resotored" car is not a daily driver condition car. And for them to say "restored" is misleading.

in addition their level of customer service is pathetic and they have screwed over many people I know or have spoken to.

So bottom line. these guys are assclowns that mislead and mistreat their customers.

One of my favorite jobs was restoring cars. Here are the giudelines I had to follow:

(Page 18 - ISCA 2009 Rulebook)​

The ISCA Category Championships will be a competition
held after the ISCA show season. The six categories will
be as follows: Custom, Truck, Rod, Street Machine Comp,​
Bike, and Restored.

(Page 42 - ISCA 2009 Rulebook)

In Restored Category, for purposes of differentiating between
pure antique or fully restored vehicles and those with slight
alterations (changes), the following criteria has been established.
Vehicles which are original or restored as close to original as
possible (0 to 1 change) will be split by year-break (classes
7010.0 thru 7095.0). Vehicles which have two changes (such as
upholstery material, vinyl top, steering wheel, gauges) will move
to “altered”. Vehicles with more than two minor changes will
move into Custom Category, Truck Category or Rod Category,
depending on body style.
Any of the following (but not limited to) changes will move
an entry out of the Restored Category and into its respective

category and class:

1. Special paint (i.e. major color change, custom pinstriping
unless original appearing).
2. Metal working of frame for removal of holes, stress marks,
spot welds, etc.
3. Cherried door jams, no matter how extensive. Final
determination will be made by Competition Committee

4. Custom wheels

What I do as a hobbyist now has nothing to do with what I did professionally. I didn't restore my Duster, even tho the dictionary definition suits it. I rebuilt my car to the way I wanted it from the ground up. It's far from correct but it's the way I want it.

Define the word as you wish but there is a clear cut meaning to restore in the automotive world, particularly for those of us who do (or have done) this for a living.

Ken

Whateva dude. I know what you saying . Like I say before if you don't agree with what the dictionary say a word means, take that up with Webster's and I sure they'll change it for lil ol you...:book: We both know what the word restore means. Now what the word MEANS to YOU is a different thing. I didn't mean to devalue your work, neva did I say anything about ya work....but it is what it is.....You can use the word in different ways depending on the sentence. Would you not agree that there are different levels to restore or a restoration? Would you not agree that they are (no matter the level or accuaracy) restoring (or bringing back to use) a car that's sittin round rustin out???.....If you don't agree then I know you don't get it....Part of the reason the price of parts be so friggin high is cause of the same word "RESTORE"!!!! So you mean to tell me that I can't "RESTORE" my OWN car cause I'm not putting correct dated parts and painting it the same way they did at the factory???? Now you can RESTORE your thongs to there proper position.....:thumblef:

See, here's the deal. It's a matter of context. Something you aren't absorbing in your condescending little skull. I have been clear and consice in my reply as to why the term applies or doesn't. You wish to be insulting and stuck on the absolute definition as described by the dictionary, not how it applies to our hobby. So, in terms you will understand....

An all beef hot dog and a New York steak are both meat. You are welcome to enjoy your $12.00 Coney.

Masturbation and Intercourse are both acts of sex. By your standards, it's true, you are no longer a virgin.

People still missing the point. :director:They are RESTORING the cars. True they may not RESTORE the cars to like new or better, BUT they are RESTORING the car to a USABLE condition. I, like many here are either planning or currently RESTORING our cars to the condition that our funds will allow. I'm just glad the word RESTORE don't carry weight like the word/gay slur that Kobe Bryant used or everyone would be out of money and they cars taken!!!! :sign5:

Originally Posted by This Bad Demon View Post
People still missing the point. They are REBUILDING the cars. True they may not REBUILD the cars to like new or better, BUT they are REBUILDING the car to a USABLE condition. I, like many here are either planning or currently REBUILDING our cars to the condition that our funds will allow. I'm just glad the word REBUILD don't carry weight like the word/gay slur that Kobe Bryant used or everyone would be out of money and they cars taken!!!!

i have to agree with ya rev.... in the car hobby to "restore" meants to bring back to original condition. to do what this show is doing is rebuilding, reftifying or whatever they call it these days but it sure as hell isn't restoring.

Rev, you're kind of assuming that his hand finds him attractive.
I was being nice. I'm sure that we would need to check with Marland for a ruling on that one.

i have to agree with ya rev.... in the car hobby to "restore" meants to bring back to original condition. to do what this show is doing is rebuilding, reftifying or whatever they call it these days but it sure as hell isn't restoring.

Thanks Joe, it's all I was trying to say.

this thread has turned to a pissing match, hardly about desert car kings anymore:boxing:

i thought we already established that the show is just a bunch of hacks that should never touch a car let alone have a tv show about rebuilding them and selling them to the innocent public.

This show is a true joke, sub,sub,sub-par workmanship tired of the drama crap we all know they go out back after the show and have a good laugh that they have "fooled us" Idiots, and that Charger!? God don't start with that turd my wife was sitting in the living room when the guy stated he would take $200 for everything he had I busted out laughing because it was so fake a complete 68' Console plus door panels for $200.00? Idiot son that clearly is not a car guy ( I am not sure the old man is either!) Discovery for all that is holy in the car world please PLEASE take this train wreck of a show off the air!!!!!

This show is a true joke, Discovery for all that is holy in the car world please PLEASE take this train wreck of a show off the air!!!!!

A good start,is quit talking about it,and for sure quit watching it. I've not turned it on,since the Barracuda farce.

'73red-duster for your info, I just watched this show last week and they had that 68 Charger on it that was the first one I watched! Then I decided to watch the next one they had was a Olds Cutlass, Whatever I have not watched it since and don't plan on it!

My wife recorded a couple of shows for me as I rarely watch TV. She thought I'd be interested in the Barracuda and the Charger. After the staged back glass incident with the Barracuda, all the drama, and them thinking they had "restored" a car, I wasn't much interested in seeing the Charger episode. But, since my wife went to the trouble of recording it I decided to watch. All I can say is I won't be wasting another minute on that lame program and anyone who does watch it is as lame as the show itself.

Pretty sure this thread has more viewers than the show.

Hopefully they check here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=131336, next time they need a rear window. They could save $2400! If they have to pay $2500 for one for the sake of television drama, I have one in the garage. This show is a result of there being 350 channels; they have to put something on. How long before "The Running Man" or "Idiocracy" are true stories? Reality TV is killing our society! Change the channel, watch a sitcom & enjoy laughing!

-
Back