Desert Car Kings

-
Not to beat a dead horse, because clearly some here have strong negative opinions on this show,,,,but.....my curiosity got the better of me....so bear with me as I soap-box a little....and blow some hot air.

I re-watched parts of the charger show last night (its on my DVR) and for the life of me I still cannot figure out how some folks here can say they "hacked" the body work....

First off, the shots of the car that they use are not long in duration enough to really examine...freezing on the DVR doesnt help much as digital noise makes it look funny...the paint and body doesnt look (to me) as ferocious as some are saying....maybe you know better what to look for, but I dont see "waves and ripples galore" like someone said.....

Are you guys really that good that you can judge a car on tv in about 15 seconds of dutch angled, quickly cut shots spread out over an hour of show?

If you are then I bow to your presence. LOL

They didnt put the new vinyl over the old vinyl as someone suggested, they put it on the black primered roof.

Someone said that they were amazed that they decided to take the headliner down after the body was painted. Well, i bought my car after it just had a fresh repaint and the "original" dirty, light blue headliner was in it....I cleaned and dyed it while it was still in the car and it looks like new. Its not necessary to take down a headliner inside the car to do a repaint outside the car....and I would bet that a few folks here have done the same exact thing. The fact that it turned out to be filled with rat ****, well, who could have predicted that?

Someone question if Legendary could have gotten them the parts that quickly....well, when a company is promised free air time to show their product, they jump to it. Plus, overnight shipping has saved my *** more than a few times.

Lots of pieces are left out of the build process.....like the engine rebuilds.....assuming they are just slapping a coat of paint on an old engine and calling it new is unfair....you cant say that because the editer/producer never shows the engine being rebuilt or not.....it is left out. I am sure there are some guys here who can do a top end rebuild here in their sleep on a day, right?

The frame fix they did on the charger had me wondering too...so i asked an old timer I know with decades of frame experience....and he said 'Well, how the hell do you think they repair frames??? They un-bend 'em!".

to the person who made that comment, what would have been the "right" way to repair that frame section in your opinion...replace it I guess?

Is the car REALLY built in 3 weeks? Who knows. But people picking on things like "the legs of the rack holding up the a body barracuda's rear glass were different in one shot versus the other"....you do realize that this is all shot over a period of weeks, right? And things do move around a shop sometimes in that time....and when they were editing the show, they likely mixed shots from different parts of a day or maybe even parts of a week to form a story line......that said, I am a video producer/ editor by trade for over 20 years and I have an eye for continuity and things that dont feel right when cutting a show together. I can tell you that as far as editing, the show does have a lot of continuity issues.....but thats common in todays TV entertainment....like everything else, speed to completion and cost savings is key...and sometimes continuity is sacrificed to meet deadlines or simply because that is how the shoot went down. But that is a problem in editing/production, not with the people being taped.

I really do think that "the right way" has a lot of definitions to a lot of people.

If they were using spray foam and newspapers to fill in rust holes and masking tape to hold panels on, I would say they are hacks too....clearly the wrong way.

But when the goal is to make a driver-quality car out of a rust heap and then sell it for $15k versus $75k? Lines get blurred.

The "they use used parts" comment is the one that got me the most. No one here uses 100% new parts. Many of us mix and match and use stuff that may not be 100% correct but it will work for now or simply because we like it that way.

If there were more video evidence of things being done "the wrong way" at Desert maybe i would jump on the bandwagon too...but as its stands? The show doesnt show enough of the vehicles to really highlight poor quality etc....what you are seeing could be do to poor lighting, reflections, weird camera angles, etc.

As a reality show overall, it sort of sucks eggs.....clearly some things are staged. And the editing is at times ferocious. BUT THAT IS HOW TV IS MADE! LOL

Cripes...people are falling all over themselves saying how great Graveyard Carz: is and you get MAYBE 10 minutes of car content in an hour of show.....its one big soap opera, and its all staged too! That show I think is actually shot well and edited well, but its a soap opera and that doesnt interest me.....I found myself sitting there watching the BS just because of the promise of Mopar content.

Musclecars is one show I really enjoy because its just about fixing up the car...no BS drama or grab *** antics....just car content that i can use.

Ok...I'll shut my pie hole now......LOL

You're on point, but you missed the most crucial angle on ANY of these shows. The reality of it all is that NONE of these show's first priority is the cars. Sure these folks are into cars, restorations, modifications, whatever. The driving force behind them is money. You have a producer who wants to put together a entertainment package that a broadcasting company will buy. You have a broadcasting company that wants to purchase a product that will entice viewers so sponsers will buy blocks of advertising time. It's the same for any show on the brain sucker. Wether it's Desert Car Hacks or the ABC World News. (You didn't think they really cared about keeping you informed, did you?)

You're on point, but you missed the most crucial angle on ANY of these shows. The reality of it all is that NONE of these show's first priority is the cars. Sure these folks are into cars, restorations, modifications, whatever. The driving force behind them is money. You have a producer who wants to put together a entertainment package that a broadcasting company will buy. You have a broadcasting company that wants to purchase a product that will entice viewers so sponsers will buy blocks of advertising time. It's the same for any show on the brain sucker. Wether it's Desert Car Hacks or the ABC World News. (You didn't think they really cared about keeping you informed, did you?)

Thing is I wouldn't care if a TV show restored that car or an average Joe. No matter who did it, it was a butcher job... No matter who did it, I would point out that they shot paint over cratered steel without doing anything to eliminate the craters, and dents. A butcher, is a butcher...

attachment.php

So is this the new car for Mel Gipson and Tine turner's road warror remake?

---[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Not just the producers, but the DVAP people themselves are there to make money.......not make sure that their creations are 100-point concourse vehicles. As a shop they cant tie up a whole crew on a restoration like that, at least not now. Most of us here spend lots of time on our babies because they are our babies.

DVAP is in this venture to make money. They are flipping cars. Just like people flip houses.....the owrk doesnt get done necessarily the "best " way, but (at least to someone who may buy it) its done to an acceptable level. They have sold every car so far (if you believe the stories).

BECAUSE its about the draw and not necessarily the content, they cant spend 10 episodes showing the intricate ins and outs of a proper restoration.....notice how they are doing a variety of makes/models....that is to attract different car people.

Some of us here may not like the show from the standpoint of doing things the way they "should" be done, but tell me what show on tv that is auto related really does? There will always be someone who can find fault in what the shows do.....

Its just TV folks,

With that in mind, Desert at least has car content that car people "might" be interested in.

Otherwise you are stuck with Cake Boss or Dancing with the Stars.

Thing is I wouldn't care if a TV show restored that car or an average Joe. No matter who did it, it was a butcher job... No matter who did it, I would point out that they shot paint over cratered steel without doing anything to eliminate the craters, and dents. A butcher, is a butcher...

Craters and dents? Can you explain in what segment of the show you see craters and dents? I have it on DVR and would like to go back and see if I can see myself, as a learning experience.

I keep hearing "butcher job" ....still trying to figure out how that assessment can be made given the way the show is cut together.

The finished car is shown in several 2 second (tops) cuts and from various angles......you see craters and dents in those shots?

Point out exactly what makes it a butcher job as its final product.....cause I have been an editor for over 20 years and feel like I am a pretty good judge of detail when it comes to tv production and I can't see it. I am not as experienced as many of you here when it comes to restoring cars, so I would like to know what to look for.....but my common-sense seems to say that for a driver-quality car, what they do is not far from where it needs to be.

Craters and dents? Can you explain in what segment of the show you see craters and dents? I have it on DVR and would like to go back and see if I can see myself, as a learning experience.

I keep hearing "butcher job" ....still trying to figure out how that assessment can be made given the way the show is cut together.

The finished car is shown in several 2 second (tops) cuts and from various angles......you see craters and dents in those shots?

Point out exactly what makes it a butcher job as its final product.....cause I have been an editor for over 20 years and feel like I am a pretty good judge of detail when it comes to tv production and I can't see it. I am not as experienced as many of you here when it comes to restoring cars, so I would like to know what to look for.....but my common-sense seems to say that for a driver-quality car, what they do is not far from where it needs to be.

I think the main complaints are coming from the ridiculous staging and drama. That and the fact that they are using the term restored. I know that from my own personal view, from being in the restoration industry for twenty years, what they do is not restoring a car. At best it's rebuilding. The closest anology I could give would be to take a 318 out of a truck, painting it chevy orange and calling it a numbers correct hemi.

The show can be painful to watch - that's for sure. But it's like driving past a car accident. You can't help but watch.

Now, why they painted that Charger John Deere green and saying they thought it was similar to Sub Lime is beyond me. Why didn't they just paint it a factory color? Must have had some old paint sitting on the shelf somewhere - or better yet, they found it in the yard.

You don't have to pause the DVR to see the bad bodywork. Any time the camera passes over a panel where there is light reflecting you can spot it. The hood and rear valance below the bumper were the most obvious to me and I only had to see it once.

What gets me in all the episodes is how excited they get over the finished product or how they oohh and ahhhh over a rusty, pitted old part that's "just perfect".

One thing to take note of though: they've been lucky to "break even" or make a few bucks on almost every project except that Charger. I'll bet after auction fees they didn't net a lot on that Chevelle.

Not to beat a dead horse, because clearly some here have strong negative opinions on this show,,,,but.....my curiosity got the better of me....so bear with me as I soap-box a little....and blow some hot air.

I re-watched parts of the charger show last night (its on my DVR) and for the life of me I still cannot figure out how some folks here can say they "hacked" the body work....

First off, the shots of the car that they use are not long in duration enough to really examine...freezing on the DVR doesnt help much as digital noise makes it look funny...the paint and body doesnt look (to me) as ferocious as some are saying....maybe you know better what to look for, but I dont see "waves and ripples galore" like someone said.....

Are you guys really that good that you can judge a car on tv in about 15 seconds of dutch angled, quickly cut shots spread out over an hour of show?

If you are then I bow to your presence. LOL

They didnt put the new vinyl over the old vinyl as someone suggested, they put it on the black primered roof.

Someone said that they were amazed that they decided to take the headliner down after the body was painted. Well, i bought my car after it just had a fresh repaint and the "original" dirty, light blue headliner was in it....I cleaned and dyed it while it was still in the car and it looks like new. Its not necessary to take down a headliner inside the car to do a repaint outside the car....and I would bet that a few folks here have done the same exact thing. The fact that it turned out to be filled with rat ****, well, who could have predicted that?

Someone question if Legendary could have gotten them the parts that quickly....well, when a company is promised free air time to show their product, they jump to it. Plus, overnight shipping has saved my *** more than a few times.

Lots of pieces are left out of the build process.....like the engine rebuilds.....assuming they are just slapping a coat of paint on an old engine and calling it new is unfair....you cant say that because the editer/producer never shows the engine being rebuilt or not.....it is left out. I am sure there are some guys here who can do a top end rebuild here in their sleep on a day, right?

The frame fix they did on the charger had me wondering too...so i asked an old timer I know with decades of frame experience....and he said 'Well, how the hell do you think they repair frames??? They un-bend 'em!".

to the person who made that comment, what would have been the "right" way to repair that frame section in your opinion...replace it I guess?

Is the car REALLY built in 3 weeks? Who knows. But people picking on things like "the legs of the rack holding up the a body barracuda's rear glass were different in one shot versus the other"....you do realize that this is all shot over a period of weeks, right? And things do move around a shop sometimes in that time....and when they were editing the show, they likely mixed shots from different parts of a day or maybe even parts of a week to form a story line......that said, I am a video producer/ editor by trade for over 20 years and I have an eye for continuity and things that dont feel right when cutting a show together. I can tell you that as far as editing, the show does have a lot of continuity issues.....but thats common in todays TV entertainment....like everything else, speed to completion and cost savings is key...and sometimes continuity is sacrificed to meet deadlines or simply because that is how the shoot went down. But that is a problem in editing/production, not with the people being taped.

I really do think that "the right way" has a lot of definitions to a lot of people.

If they were using spray foam and newspapers to fill in rust holes and masking tape to hold panels on, I would say they are hacks too....clearly the wrong way.

But when the goal is to make a driver-quality car out of a rust heap and then sell it for $15k versus $75k? Lines get blurred.

The "they use used parts" comment is the one that got me the most. No one here uses 100% new parts. Many of us mix and match and use stuff that may not be 100% correct but it will work for now or simply because we like it that way.

If there were more video evidence of things being done "the wrong way" at Desert maybe i would jump on the bandwagon too...but as its stands? The show doesnt show enough of the vehicles to really highlight poor quality etc....what you are seeing could be do to poor lighting, reflections, weird camera angles, etc.

As a reality show overall, it sort of sucks eggs.....clearly some things are staged. And the editing is at times ferocious. BUT THAT IS HOW TV IS MADE! LOL

Cripes...people are falling all over themselves saying how great Graveyard Carz: is and you get MAYBE 10 minutes of car content in an hour of show.....its one big soap opera, and its all staged too! That show I think is actually shot well and edited well, but its a soap opera and that doesnt interest me.....I found myself sitting there watching the BS just because of the promise of Mopar content.

Musclecars is one show I really enjoy because its just about fixing up the car...no BS drama or grab *** antics....just car content that i can use.

Ok...I'll shut my pie hole now......LOL
Credit to ya for speaking up. I don't think it's the best car show ever, but it's a car show. Beats some of the other shows on TV right now, unless you like Dancing with the Stars or the like . . . lol. I'm glad it's on, something to watch that I'm interested in . . CARS! I don't agree with everything, there is some BS, but it is entertaining. My 2 cents.:-D

When they show the finished car before the auction, they have a shot showing the left quarter, valance and left side of the bumper. Pause it there. You will see craters in the valance... really bad, and a dent just above the bumper in the "pocket" where the bumper sits. I didn't save the show on DVR, so I'm going from memory, but I believe this was the segment where they had the red Charger pulled up near the Green car.

We have a DVR also. When they scanned across it quick I noticed it. Stepped back a bit and paused on the shot that I described above.

Check out the wavy main body line on the front left fender while you're at it.

Point out exactly what makes it a butcher job as its final product.....cause I have been an editor for over 20 years and feel like I am a pretty good judge of detail when it comes to tv production and I can't see it.

I'm a professional photographer and have an eye for detail, even when it's rolling by on video.

"Someone said that they were amazed that they decided to take the headliner down after the body was painted. Well, i bought my car after it just had a fresh repaint and the "original" dirty, light blue headliner was in it....I cleaned and dyed it while it was still in the car and it looks like new. Its not necessary to take down a headliner inside the car to do a repaint outside the car"

Well, they replaced the headliner ! And they gutted the interior before they painted it. Why didn't they take the headliner out while they were at it??
And the dutchman panel had a huge low spot in the middle that even I saw.

As I recall, the car was already pretty much gutted inside when they bought it, wasnt it? I think the seats were wrong so had to be removed.....no door panels, etc. The headliner was an afterthought. They probably figured they would get to it when they went to install the interior....I know thats what I did....which is exactly what they did on the show.

I am sure they did a LOT of things out of the "normal" sequence that many here would do it in. They were trying to squeeze a lot of work into 3 weeks and were working around each other.

I looked one last time and I do see the low spot in the duchman panel....and I did see that dent above the bumper the first time around....I still think lighting could have played a lot into the rest of the issues. Still dont see anything in the left side that would make me think "hack" aside from some less-than-perfectly-shiny paint...maybe y'alls TVs are much better clarity than mine...completely possible I guess.

But again, so what? DVAP never said they were trying to make concourse -level cars. And the results at auction they are getting obviously shows that.

And someone thought it was OK enough to spend $15k on it.

A perfect restoration of that car would have meant how much for a price tag? Whats that year Charger worth if done to a pristine level?

You may hate or love the show....you may think they are hacks ...you may not buy the 3 week turnarounds or the "contrived" made-for-tv drama (even the the "news" shows are contrived to some degree and put together for ratings and crowd appeal)

In the end, those guys are getting paid big time for the show, and we are just sitting here debating the quality of their work and if the drama is real or not. They are laughing all the way to the bank. The customers who buy the cars seem to be pretty happy at least at the time of the purchase , and a few more old cars are being revived at least enough to be driven again.

Although....it DID raise my ire when that dude called that color "Sublime".....I almost snorted iced tea thru my nose. Sassy grass maybe?? But no way was it sublime....

I said i like CAR WARRIORS as a SHOW, NOT Rich "the dick" Evans. I like Ian Roussel's work and ryno's paint rich evans i dont like, havn't even heard of the other people, oh except the guy who does stereo work hes cool too. but i really like the show concept and the way the show works, especially as it seems it was made just to give some unknown people a little exposure and recognition.

My favorite "drama" car show is Chip Foose overhaulin. Always good story lines, they seem to have very professional people, from their repected feilds, working on the vehicles.
They even have there share of problems as well. It still amazes me that some people don't know how to time an engine.
I always like the delivery of the vehicle.

Anything less then 20 seconds is respectable! Yeah right at 19.6 seconds you just don't know what your doin.

I have been meaning to reply to the mid 19 sec. 1/4 mile pass.

Finally found the ultimate picture..

1980 Dodge MaxiVan 360 4bbl 170 hp 3.21 gears 6400 lbs 18.8@73mph

VAN.jpg

I guess they were still tuning their engine.

Hey ALL,

I am Jason (From DCK's tv show on Discovery),

I was told never to reply to or even read most internet threads about the show or our company ect.

I happen to love A-body mopars and have too many of them, so it is worth it to me to take the time (and the cyber-bashing I may get in return for my little defensive post....).

First, you guys are worth this post mainly because you are REAL CUSTOMERS!!!! Customers that post actual pics of our yard, they themselves took as a result of being a visitor. Thank you for that. (I can not say the same for a Falcon/Corvair sites.)

Second, for all those that think we are too high priced. Well, my only response to that would be... you obviously were just pricing parts that day and were in no position, or had any intention in buying that part and taking it home. This is not Walmart, we don't have a suggested retail price. We have a starting price, that is ALWAYS negotiable. Remember; it's called Supply and Demand. These cars don't just find there way to my wrecking yard on there own, it cost thousands of dollars to buy/bird-dog fee/spiff/finders fee/ship????? anything it takes to get these old cars purchased, picked up, and placed within our inventory. Last time I checked you can't ever go up on a price quote. So if you price something too low, well your screwed. FYI, we are not talking about a Mustang or Chevelle here, this is A-body mopars. We built the 64 Barracuda in episode 4 (after market parts are non existant as compared to the pony cars of the 2 other American big 3 auto makers). So when pricing Dart, Duster, ect parts....the prices are forever changing.

In the future, WHEN YOU ARE READY TO PURCHASE THAT PART, THAT DAY... WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED SHOPPING FOR A BARGAIN BAESMENT/ BLUELIGHT SPECIAL/ E-BAY PRICE.... WHEN YOU ARE READY TO FINALLY FINISH YOUR CAR WITH ORIGINAL FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS.....
Lastly, can these rebuilds happen in 2-3 weeks.... well they did x10. We were not happy doing it, we put up a fight, we complained that we weren't happy about stamping our names on cars that would obviously need more TLC to end up with a better finished product. But Discovery doesn't like fake, incorrect, or made up stories. They just plain would not have it, so we had to build these cars in that small crunch time and BINGO it created the drama, brought in the deadlines, and it produced our show!

The fact that the acting is crappy is because we are not actors. This is REALITY show.... One thing I would like to get straight and if anyone hasn't figured it out by now. We are not a DIY, How-to, or process show. If you want to learn how to bleed breaks, pull moldings properly, or change your oil, we suggest you simply Google it on your PC or asking your uncle Mike the mechanic. Only watch DCK for the entertainment and the excitment of seeing all the old cars.

We are just a group of guys with a killer classic and antique junkyard and a passion for the hobby. That want to breathe that last breath of life into a few old relics that are at deaths door. Instead of the scrap yard being considered a graveyard... Desert Car Kings is turning Desert Valley Auto Parts into an ER for old cars!!

We are not calling ourselves experts or are calling our shop a pro shop or trying to get anyone to follow us by lead what so ever. We are just attempting (and succeding) in putting these old cars back were they belong on America's highways. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

By making these cars so affordable (not Barrett-Jackson crazy prices), we are turning what would have been just a image on a TV set into a real life test drive for the new owners of our auction specials. We are turning the keys over to the next generation of car enthusiasts, which is the only way to TRULY keep this great hobby alive!!!

For all the haters out there....NEXT TIME I'LL TRY TO DO BETTER!!!

J. MCCLURE DCK 2011

Welcome aboard, and have a thick skin about matters such as this. It's meaningless to you as a person. Just do what you can the best you can and enjoy.

Please do not put in E-mail address to places/people selling parts. DO place an ad in the classified section to contact you via the PM feature and no e-mail address' in that section.

Thanks Rob

By making these cars so affordable (not Barrett-Jackson crazy prices), we are turning what would have been just a image on a TV set into a real life test drive for the new owners of our auction specials. We are turning the keys over to the next generation of car enthusiasts, which is the only way to TRULY keep this great hobby alive!!!

Actually what you are doing is taking good parts away from the public and throwing them on the trash that you are supposedly "restoring". Any one of those "restored" vehicles could have went to help a dozen or more people who were looking for original full quarter panels, solid floors, solid roofs, trim, etc...

What you are creating are beaters with junkyard motors and drive lines, which any real enthusiast would pull apart and start on fresh. Obviously the crowd your auction caters to doesn't give a damn about the car. They are the same kind of people who are happy to pay too high a price at a used car lot on Van Buren because they threw a shiny paint job on an old turd.

If those cars are being sold with good, original titles and not salvage titles, then I'm wrong. If you're auctioning the cars with salvage titles, well...:wack:

I've been watching several of these shows this weekend.

Generally I don't have a problem with what they do to the cars, I agree, they're getting them back out on the road.

I just hate all the b.s. the producers pull with editing, or the little scripted storylines, or whatever. It insinuates that the audience is a bunch of idiots.

$2500 for a barracuda back glass? That's insulting to try to push that on the audience. After I saw that, I searched on ebay and found one for 99 bucks.

So the car being rebuilt is fun to watch, and yeah they don't do all that great of a job on some of it, but they probably do a better job than I could personally.

The fact that the acting is crappy is because we are not actors. This is REALITY show.... One thing I would like to get straight and if anyone hasn't figured it out by now. We are not a DIY, How-to, or process show. If you want to learn how to bleed breaks, pull moldings properly, or change your oil, we suggest you simply Google it on your PC or asking your uncle Mike the mechanic. Only watch DCK for the entertainment and the excitment of seeing all the old cars.

For all the haters out there....NEXT TIME I"LL TRY TO DO BETTER!!!

J. MCCLURE DCK 2011

Really? Carry on.....

i wathced the green charger today and i am by far not restoration expert but i am pretty sure u can buy parts for chargers at many aftermarket vendors. and exactly what paint shop sprays a car with out taking out the headliner that will eventually come out. i love seeing car shows just didnt seem like they really "know" these cars that well but hey i only study a few types not a large group

They should be cancelled for even calling any of these cars restored. A restoration, you actually restore every part on the car. I would'nt even consider these cars as having a half *** face lift. Do it right, or don't do it at all. These poor guys should just leave **** alone, and let someone who actually takes a little pride in there work actually restore these classics instead of embarrasing themselves by just horrid craftsmanship if you can even call it that.

-
Back