difference between 440 & 383

-

72demon440

Reaction score
I have a 440 but it needs to be rebuilt! I can get a running 383 to put in it for the time for $200, what is different between the two. Is a 440 wider and are the exhaust ports at a different angle,(do the heads interchange)? Motor mounts different? willl my 4 speed bell housing bolt up to it? I am sure many of you know the answers to these questions! Any help is greatly appreciated! Jared

440 is wider/taller than a 383, since it is a Raised block, or RB. The 383 is a B block.

It will bolt to everything the 44o does, except perhaps the motor mounts.

thanks for the info. hopefully it comes with distributor and intake since I wont be able to use mine then. I assume the heads are different.

67 and older 383's have different heads but the difference is minor. B/RB heads are very interchangable.

I think this motor is a 70's 383. At least that is what I am told. have not seen it yet though! was in a 70 cuda at some point

Deck height 383-400= 9.98" Deck height 413-440=10.72" one quick to tell is the water pump boss is flush with the block deck on a B engine and there is a step up from the WP boss on an RB.

Deck height 383-400= 9.98" Deck height 413-440=10.72" one quick to tell is the water pump boss is flush with the block deck on a B engine and there is a step up from the WP boss on an RB.

Seems to me there's a LOT easier way than that.

All RBs have the ID pad horizontal and immediately adjacent to the valley cover rail.

Photo below, yellow arrow

857473c4.jpg

30c99ad8.jpg

I picked up the 383tonight and it says G383 on the pad and it is a 71. Told is was out of a cida. needs to be cleaned up and it still has points in the distributor.

these headers would be for an E body, any one tried to fit them in an a body? I will have to post some pictures, tried to do it with my phone but it wouldn't let me! here are some pictures!

Attachments

• phone pictures 001 (Small).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3,135
  • phone pictures 003 (Small).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,069
  • phone pictures 004 (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 3,001
  • phone pictures 005 (Small).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,242
it has a motorcrap carburetor on it also. I will have to get that pos off quickly!

thanks for the info. hopefully it comes with distributor and intake since I wont be able to use mine then. I assume the heads are different.

There used to be a spacer kit for an RB distributor to work in a B block.

Very little, the juice is worth the squeeze.
@Princess Valiant tells me to go B block, but I've already got an RB ready to drop in, tti headers too. I figure it's gonna suck no matter what. Maybe it'll motivate me to front half the car, and we all know what that leads to. Ah crap, now my mind's running wild.

I have a 440 but it needs to be rebuilt! I can get a running 383 to put in it for the time for $200, what is different between the two. Is a 440 wider and are the exhaust ports at a different angle,(do the heads interchange)? Motor mounts different? willl my 4 speed bell housing bolt up to it? I am sure many of you know the answers to these questions! Any help is greatly appreciated! Jared

You mentioned 4 speed, make sure the 383 crank is drilled for manual transmission or get a conversion pilot bushing for it.

-
Back