Difference between 67-68 barracuda doors?

-
Turquoise/teal door is a 67 or 8, and passenger side. You can see in one of the pics it has a bottom rear hole where the plastic vent used to be. Also you can see in the front jamb 2 rectangular holes that used to have a rubber flap over it. Also notice the "matching"(i think) glass in another pic. It doesnt have a rear support/ post, making it 67 or 8.

Also the rear 68 fastback glass is pictured...99% sure its 68. I got skirtwork to do(cook supper) I will post the 69 pics in a bit....

Attachments

• DSCF0002 (Medium).jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF9972 (Medium).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCF9964 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCF9979 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCF9999 (Medium).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 273
I took a few more pics to let you see the whole door. There is a little rubber plug on both doors.

That plastic plug screams 68. Like I stated before 67 has a long screw through that hole that shows its chrome phillips head.. 68 has the screw hidden inside.
In 67 they used a fancy steel clip on a rectangular opening where the arm rest bolts on.
In 68 that hardware disappeared and a simple lag thread screw went into the door metal.
That means the door(s) are definatley 67 model but they have 68 model wing window parts.

That plastic plug screams 68. Like I stated before 67 has a long screw through that hole that shows its chrome phillips head.. 68 has the screw hidden inside.
In 67 they used a fancy steel clip on a rectangular opening where the arm rest bolts on.
In 68 that hardware disappeared and a simple lag thread screw went into the door metal.
That means the door(s) are definatley 67 model but they have 68 model wing window parts.

My arm rest also use lag screws...... So your saying I have 67 doors and 68 wing window frams/hardware? Just trying to understand fully lol

My arm rest also use lag screws...... So your saying I have 67 doors and 68 wing window frams/hardware? Just trying to understand fully lol

Yes sir, They all used lag screws. They difference is in the door stamping and female hardware or lack of it.
As best I can tell someone has put some 68 parts in your 67 doors.
It has been done by others and will work as the body lines at the doors didn't change from year to year. Only change there is fast back and notch back.
Now if your car is a fast back and they used notch back glass and/or parts... that wont work. Anyway... the mounting bracket for the vent window has to be altered a little and someone probably already did that.
Here is what I would do. Use a service manual if needed to locate all the wing window hardware. If my guess is correct you will be poking a allen wrench through the hole in the upper door after the plastic plug is removed.

Turquoise/teal door is a 67 or 8, and passenger side. You can see in one of the pics it has a bottom rear hole where the plastic vent used to be. Also you can see in the front jamb 2 rectangular holes that used to have a rubber flap over it. Also notice the "matching"(i think) glass in another pic. It doesnt have a rear support/ post, making it 67 or 8.

Also the rear 68 fastback glass is pictured...99% sure its 68. I got skirtwork to do(cook supper) I will post the 69 pics in a bit....

Those appear to be the same doors I have. Both of mine have the vents, as well as the rubber flappers.

Yes sir, They all used lag screws. They difference is in the door stamping and female hardware or lack of it.
As best I can tell someone has put some 68 parts in your 67 doors.
It has been done by others and will work as the body lines at the doors didn't change from year to year. Only change there is fast back and notch back.
Now if your car is a fast back and they used notch back glass and/or parts... that wont work. Anyway... the mounting bracket for the vent window has to be altered a little and someone probably already did that.
Here is what I would do. Use a service manual if needed to locate all the wing window hardware. If my guess is correct you will be poking a allen wrench through the hole in the upper door after the plastic plug is removed.

Alright I will definatley be trying that when the weather warms up. It has been negative here all day!!! Thanks alot for all of your help, I really appreciate it :)

Geez Im getting confused...no surprise though...I thought his doors were 68 cuz of the plastic plug?? Or do you think someone just mashed the plug in where the screw would go(for 67)??

Olka, what happened to your pics?? They were good reference!!

Ok here are 69 pics...see the pic of the glass thats in the door?? Thats a 69 vert glass..see how flat it is on top?? I also took pics of 69 drivers side front(tinted)...not sure if the glass is from notch or fastback, but it definitely has more of an arch to it. Take a look at the pics, the pics with the level in it shows the difference in the shape of the glass. Its quite noticable side by side (1st pic is of the loose glass).

I wont bother showing pics of the other 69 drivers side door, so to avoid confusion...I think I have done enough of that.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCF9978 (Medium).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCF9965 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF0008 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF0011 (Medium).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 272
Geez Im getting confused...no surprise though...I thought his doors were 68 cuz of the plastic plug?? Or do you think someone just mashed the plug in where the screw would go(for 67)??

Olka, what happened to your pics?? They were good reference!!

Ok here are 69 pics...see the pic of the glass thats in the door?? Thats a 69 vert glass..see how flat it is on top?? I also took pics of 69 drivers side front(tinted)...not sure if the glass is from notch or fastback, but it definitely has more of an arch to it. Take a look at the pics, the pics with the level in it shows the difference in the shape of the glass. Its quite noticable side by side (1st pic is of the loose glass).

I wont bother showing pics of the other 69 drivers side door, so to avoid confusion...I think I have done enough of that.

Steve
Exactly. The air vents and rectangle holes for the armrest fasteners dictate 67 model doors.
I haven't been into a 68 door in a very long time so I cant say exactly what the difference is in the brackets. I like the color keyed plastic plug and hidden hardware though. The chrome screw head showing on the 67 door looks out of place to me, just like the one on the right end of the inst' bezel.
Anyway... I learned today that the weatherstrip moved from one glass to the other at some point.
Just like the quarter windows winder handles being in different locations, they were constantly changing stuff.

from the picture the quarter window is way out of adjustment.

Manual states
1) with door closed, position glass to half open position
2) adjust upper attachment of rear guide, outboard until glass is in design position at belt line and the outer belt weatherstrip is lightly contacted by the glass.
3) raise window until glass contacts roof rail weatherstrip.
4) adjust front track lower attachment so front of quarter window is aligned with rear of front door glass at roof rail and parallel to roof rail weatherstrip.
5) move regulator forward and upward until an effective seal is made with the roof rail weatherstrip and rear of front door assembly.
6) position front and rear up-stops down against stops on lower frame.
7) lower window until top of glass is even with quarter outside panel
8) adjust lower end of rear guide sleeve nut so rear end of glass lightly touches outer belt weatherstrip.
9) position stop on regulator plate against stop on center.

that should do it for adjusting quarter windows in a fastback.

Exactly. The air vents and rectangle holes for the armrest fasteners dictate 67 model doors.
I haven't been into a 68 door in a very long time so I cant say exactly what the difference is in the brackets. I like the color keyed plastic plug and hidden hardware though. The chrome screw head showing on the 67 door looks out of place to me, just like the one on the right end of the inst' bezel.
Anyway... I learned today that the weatherstrip moved from one glass to the other at some point.
Just like the quarter windows winder handles being in different locations, they were constantly changing stuff.

Hey Ben, I had a 68 vert and it had the same rectangular vent that you are stating is for 67.....:banghead:

Darn it ! That mirror is in the 68 model location. The golf tee shaped control wand says 67 mirror though. what a puzzle...
I like the steering wheel :)

Darn it ! That mirror is in the 68 model location. The golf tee shaped control wand says 67 mirror though. what a puzzle...
I like the steering wheel :)

Yeah I put a different mirror on cuz the first one was trashed lol. Thanks,The steering wheel is a grant classic series. Sounds like I have a big mess! I'm prolly just gonna have to tear it all down and start making sure everything is right and working properly to start I guess.

-
Back