DING DING DING SOUND THE ALARM!...

-
That's what the site says, but I CCd the chambers on my CNC heads and they're 65cc just like the cast ones.
Their valves installed?

Im going to cc the int ports and chambers.
Nothing changed since the threads on these , valve job is the biggest thing holding them back.

Their valves installed?

Im going to cc the int ports and chambers.
Nothing changed since the threads on these , valve job is the biggest thing holding them back.

Yes, their valves. I decided to check them because the assembled cnc Heads don't show any chamber work, at there's no reason they would be bigger unless they were cast that way.

@Bobzilla reminded me that he got a set with cnc chambers, they were odd because according to the SM sure you can get that feature on only on PN, a bare head. I'm guessing that's where the 68cc came from, but it doesn't apply to any of the cast chamber parts.

I did multiple chambers and two intake ports. They averaged out to 65/190 respectively.

When Dwayne Porter had mine, we discussed going up a size or two on they intake valves, the throat diameter was a bit big for the 2.02 valves. But after discussing the extra cost in parts and chamber work I decided to pass. My"budget" heads were getting up into the 1700 range.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from last year’s sale, we were getting reports of the CNC version come two different ways. Some had untouched cast chambers. Others were CNC profiled chambers, which likely accounts for the difference in size.
Mine were ordered assembled and they do have CNC chambers, but I forget what they measured.

That's right, I forgot about that. Good call. There's so many posts from last year, I wish I could go back and find that set of posts, because as I recall I wasn't able to find a part number for an assembled head with cnc chambers, but you had a set.

That's right, I forgot about that. Good call. There's so many posts from last year, I wish I could go back and find that set of posts, because as I recall I wasn't able to find a part number for an assembled head with cnc chambers, but you had a set.

I saw the post where Porter did a some more seat angles on the cnc version and the numbers jumped closer to advertised.

People should be careful, like you said about the throat diameter ... big...too big. I do recall folks building with 190cc heads from various sources, hughes, bloomer and the outcomes were less than expected. My 1st instinct was to buy cnc versions bare...fix the valve job , flow test and run them. ..but my memory stepped in and reminded me.
I also expected more meat in the intake short turn, taller, there isnt much there.

Thanks to pittsburghracer and PRH, as well as all others for the work they shared on these. It laid down the approach/plan of attack for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Yes, their valves. I decided to check them because the assembled cnc Heads don't show any chamber work, at there's no reason they would be bigger unless they were cast that way.

@Bobzilla reminded me that he got a set with cnc chambers, they were odd because according to the SM sure you can get that feature on only on PN, a bare head. I'm guessing that's where the 68cc came from, but it doesn't apply to any of the cast chamber parts.

I did multiple chambers and two intake ports. They averaged out to 65/190 respectively.

When Dwayne Porter had mine, we discussed going up a size or two on they intake valves, the throat diameter was a bit big for the 2.02 valves. But after discussing the extra cost in parts and chamber work I decided to pass. My"budget" heads were getting up into the 1700 range.

The chamber does need some work.

I’m curious to see what reworking the spark plug hole does for me. That was a good catch last year by one of our members and now every head I touch will pay more attention to that detail. That was fun last winter with everyone adding to the discussion and some good info that will help guys for years. Thanks also to the Mod that made a sticky post as I’ve shared it to many guys on Facebook looking for info on these heads. I would tell them to start reading and most of your questions would be answered.

Stupid question again....why do the specify "hydraulic" on all the heads?
I didnt realize there was a difference in heads between solid and hydraulic??

Stupid question again....why do the specify "hydraulic" on all the heads?
I didnt realize there was a difference in heads between solid and hydraulic??
I think one is actually for roller lifters with stronger Springs and one is not. But the other products are decent quality these days and cheap there right up still lack quite a bit. Do they still say they have a 2.202 intake valve?..

Just a general question J, even the bare heads specify hyd??
I think one is actually for roller lifters with stronger Springs and one is not. But the other products are decent quality these days and cheap there right up still lack quite a bit. Do they still say they have a 2.202 intake valve?..

Just a general question J, even the bare heads specify hyd??
LOL.. I don't think the bare head really cares if it's going to have hydraulic or solid lifters under it LOL.. again I think this company is so eager to get their product out there that they're not even concerned about giving a proper description... And by now they must have been asked so many times I can't understand why they don't change and incorrect things..:realcrazy:..

I’m curious to see what reworking the spark plug hole does for me. That was a good catch last year by one of our members and now every head I touch will pay more attention to that detail. That was fun last winter with everyone adding to the discussion and some good info that will help guys for years. Thanks also to the Mod that made a sticky post as I’ve shared it to many guys on Facebook looking for info on these heads. I would tell them to start reading and most of your questions would be answered.

Are you pocketing just below the plug tang for the flame kernal? Or just blending the threads down on the one side?

If anyone orders the CNC versions, be sure to post the mfg date from the heads. Should be etched on them along with the PN. Last years sale had heads that were dated back 2+ years. I'm curious if they're still digging from the same stock, or if they've had to make more. If they're making more heads, I'm inclined to contact them with the feedback from everyone here who's bought them, it wouldn't take much to improve the out of the box experience.

My youngest son has an intake on the way. Sometime soon he will be building a 360 for his 88 short bed.

I got one of these

Screenshot_20201129-113332_Samsung Internet.jpg

If anyone orders the CNC versions, be sure to post the mfg date from the heads. Should be etched on them along with the PN. Last years sale had heads that were dated back 2+ years. I'm curious if they're still digging from the same stock, or if they've had to make more. If they're making more heads, I'm inclined to contact them with the feedback from everyone here who's bought them, it wouldn't take much to improve the out of the box experience.
2017 stock is what i got.

Long before I bought my Speedmaster heads I checked into all this doubt casting on these heads... Everybody who ran them out of the box seem to have good results.. when I got mine I took them down to a machine shop and they took them apart put them back together.
All aspects were inspected.. spring run rate valve run out everything.. all they did was re lubricate the valve guides as they had sat on a shelf for a long time.. they've worked fine so far this year on my Stroker motor with an expensive bottom end..
I've given them a good thrashing and so far no problems...
I see absolutely no need to cast doubt and that's from someone who has them on their expensive bottom end practically out of the box... My-2..
Long before I bought my Speedmaster heads I checked into all this doubt casting on these heads... Everybody who ran them out of the box seem to have good results.. when I got mine I took them down to a machine shop and they took them apart put them back together.
All aspects were inspected.. spring run rate valve run out everything.. all they did was re lubricate the valve guides as they had sat on a shelf for a long time.. they've worked fine so far this year on my Stroker motor with an expensive bottom end..
I've given them a good thrashing and so far no problems...
I see absolutely no need to cast doubt and that's from someone who has them on their expensive bottom end practically out of the box... My-2..
My son and I are doing a complete engine rebuild on his 78 Magnum w/360 and he decided to go with a set of these same standard assembled heads I had bought and sold last year not long after purchase! Just as long as he doesn’t pull a “like father like son” and sell them for TF’s like I did I think they’ll actually be installed and up and running soon after vs. pricey heads sitting in a loft collecting dust for almost a year! He’s much better with his money than I was at his age, and even now as a graying old man, good grief :rolleyes:

I swore to God last year after the clusterfuck I had trying to do a return to SM, that I would NEVER have anything to do with them again. And here I am this year, ordering a pair of SB bare heads for the Dart. There's something wrong with me. :eek:

I swore to God last year after the clusterfuck I had trying to do a return to SM, that I would NEVER have anything to do with them again. And here I am this year, ordering a pair of SB bare heads for the Dart. There's something wrong with me. :eek:

You are just an animal!!!! Or, you hate yourself and love to self punish lol.

Sorry, late to the party. I have been at the Mother-in-laws with slow internet. Is the sale still on?

-
Back