Distributir wiring

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Anybody have a decent wiring diag for the distributor on a 90 dodge d250? Tried google, but didn't find what I need. I'm upgrading to classicHEI ignition and need to find out which wires I need to hook in to for the control module. I have an option, but I want to do this correctly

Attachments

• image-428665148.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 266
  • image-965505384.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 279
What engine? I thought all Mopars by 1990 had a Hall-effect distributor pickup, which has 3 wires, which I see in your photo. It is a better type of sensor since it has a "DC signal", i.e. you can turn the distributor as slow as you want and the signal will be the same level which you can read at your leisure on a DC multimeter.

The problem is that the HEI module is designed to work with a 2-wire "variable reluctance" sensor. You can read all about VR sensors on the megasquirt site since many there use the Ford EDIS crank tooth sensor (I put one on my 65 Dart). A VR sensor has an "AC signal", which you need an oscilloscope to see. It oscillates positive and negative about ground. Also, the signal is stronger at higher engine rpm. There might be a way to rig a Hall-effect sensor to work with an HEI module, but would require an engineer like me or a smart electronics technician. The first Mopar electronic distributors (1972 - 1982?) had a VR pickup, as did GM V-8 distributors thru 1995 (trucks) or 1993 (cars).

360 the setup I have is identical to my wife's 98 Chevy tahoe. Good friend of mine has all data access and got me this :prayer:

Attachments

• image-3915779977.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 254
Isn't your engine a 5.9L Magnum V-8 (360 cu in)? The pickup in the distributor is a "cam position sensor". It is Hall-effect type. It does not give a signal for each spark plug firing, so it cannot be used with the GM HEI ignition module. You would have to install an electronic distributor w/ 2 wires (VR sensor) from an earlier LA engine. I think they will fit the hole and slotted drive. They are taller, so you might need to move something on the firewall.

Isn't your engine a 5.9L Magnum V-8 (360 cu in)? The pickup in the distributor is a "cam position sensor". It is Hall-effect type. It does not give a signal for each spark plug firing, so it cannot be used with the GM HEI ignition module. You would have to install an electronic distributor w/ 2 wires (VR sensor) from an earlier LA engine. I think they will fit the hole and slotted drive. They are taller, so you might need to move something on the firewall.

Not magnum, but it looks like your right about it not working

Exactly Bill, right down to the distributor change.
I recommended he run the ecoil only, and leave the ignition and fuel system untouched.

Hey Chuck,
If you wish you can send that kit back to me and I will issue a refund for you since there are compatibility issue's with it (cannot refund return shipping)
Or you can return the module and heatsink only and keep the coil if you wish, and I can give a partial refund.
(You can cut the wires and keep the connectors with the coil at no charge if you wish to use the coil only)

Also, just so you know.
MSD makes an ignition system that would run really nice with the ecoil and your electronic system.
It is the Digital 6AL part number 6425 and it shows triggered off your original coil wiring.
It's a little pricey though at $220+

Thanks for posting the schematic. This is intriguing, since the engine controller controls both fuel injection and spark, but doesn't require the crankshaft trigger wheel on the flexplate. That would make it much easier to retrofit to our LA engines. Apparently, your engine has a Hall-effect distributor, like Mopars of the mid-80's, but not their crappy "spark control" box and kludgy electronic carburetors. The injector drive could operate either TBI injectors (like yours) or mulit-port injectors like on a Magnum "beer keg" manifold (batch mode fire). I wonder if anyone has ever hacked the computer to allow tuning. The distributor should fit in early LA engines.

Exactly Bill, right down to the distributor change.
I recommended he run the ecoil only, and leave the ignition and fuel system untouched.

Hey Chuck,
If you wish you can send that kit back to me and I will issue a refund for you since there are compatibility issue's with it (cannot refund return shipping)
Or you can return the module and heatsink only and keep the coil if you wish, and I can give a partial refund.
(You can cut the wires and keep the connectors with the coil at no charge if you wish to use the coil only)

Also, just so you know.
MSD makes an ignition system that would run really nice with the ecoil and your electronic system.
It is the Digital 6AL part number 6425 and it shows triggered off your original coil wiring.
It's a little pricey though at $220+

Much appreciated! I'm gonna see if my buddy wants to run it on his 81 /6 stepside first.

Thanks for posting the schematic. This is intriguing, since the engine controller controls both fuel injection and spark, but doesn't require the crankshaft trigger wheel on the flexplate. That would make it much easier to retrofit to our LA engines. Apparently, your engine has a Hall-effect distributor, like Mopars of the mid-80's, but not their crappy "spark control" box and kludgy electronic carburetors. The injector drive could operate either TBI injectors (like yours) or mulit-port injectors like on a Magnum "beer keg" manifold (batch mode fire). I wonder if anyone has ever hacked the computer to allow tuning. The distributor should fit in early LA engines.

That would be interesting

I already do a kit to retrofit 1988-1990 dodge TBI onto any small block mopar, the computer is not hackable to tune, but you can do modifications to the throttle body unit and regulator to fool it to thinking that its running the stock tune but actually allowing it to add more fuel when needed

the problem with MPFI beer keg intakes is that the bolt pattern is different and it does require a crank sensor (hall effect 3 wire) as well as a cam sensor (in distributor, also 3 wire hall effect)

I already do a kit to retrofit 1988-1990 dodge TBI onto any small block mopar, the computer is not hackable to tune, but you can do modifications to the throttle body unit and regulator to fool it to thinking that its running the stock tune but actually allowing it to add more fuel when needed

the problem with MPFI beer keg intakes is that the bolt pattern is different and it does require a crank sensor (hall effect 3 wire) as well as a cam sensor (in distributor, also 3 wire hall effect)

How do you mean "modify the tbi"?

Nice. I guess the downside is that they only made it for 3 years so not many out there. I did run across a Dodge truck at the junkyard with a TBI intake. I recall the TB was unique, with 4 bolts, unlike the 3 bolt Holley type that GM used and in my Pro-jection setup.

I have a plan to mount a beer keg on my 65 273. My bolt holes are much closer to vertical (~16 deg). I managed to mount a later Edelbrock manifold on there currently, with its 45 deg bolt holes. I won't use Magnum controls, just need the multi-port fuel injectors. I may use the cam sensor (have one) for a later spark control idea.

-
Back