do I have the right x member here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went to put a new tranny mount in and I am having a ***** of a time. I was sick the day the tranny came home from the shop getting rebuilt back in March so my 2 boys said they would put it in for me. WOW, I liked that idea. Today I found the mount to have play in it so I got a new one and went to put it in and I cannot get the old one out. The horizontal long bolt that goes through the back will not come out because it is hitting the x member and the 2 bolts that go up into the tail shaft will not come out as they are hitting the x member and will not clear to unthread down. I cannot get a socket on the bolts or cannot get a wrench in there either. I have no idea how they got it in there but still, it shouldn't be that hard to put this in. Do I have the right crossmember. I think if they had put the long bolt in the other way that would have come out but I am more concerned with the 2 bolts going up in the tailshaft. There should be more access to them. I have read on here where all 67-76 a bodies use the same x member but I have also seen different ones. This is a 76 Duster. The mount in there now I don't think has slotted holes but the new one does. anybody shed some light on this. as it looks right now, I am going to have to drop the exhaust and a lot more to put this mount in and that should not be right.

Attachments

• DSC07103 (Copy).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC07104 (Copy).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC07105 (Copy).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC07106 (Copy).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC07107 (Copy).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 269
but is that normally what you should have to do in order to change a tranny mount in this car. I saw a mount on ebay that said it was for an a body and it looked different and it looked like this problem wouldn't be a problem with that mount. I just didn't want to get into a pitch problem.

can you fabricate on these crossmembers some if needed and still be ok. I will widen the front enough to allow a socket in there for the tailshaft bolts to go in.

I don't remember them having that dip in them for the bolt to hang up on. The ones I remember is straight across with the ears sticking out. Trouble is would that style of mount work with what you have. It looks like it wouldn't match to the holes on the tranny. Maybe someone with more knowledge will weigh in soon.

here is the ebay auction that has what I think would be better but don't know if it is the right one. 111397337191. That would allow the bolt to go through with no problem. I have jacked on the tranny and it didn't help. I called my boys and asked if they had any problem putting this in when they installed it. He told me no and it went right in. I told him when he gets home from work tonight that he can show me how it can come right out. This old man is going to learn something tonight.

here is the ebay auction that has what I think would be better but don't know if it is the right one. 111397337191. That would allow the bolt to go through with no problem. I have jacked on the tranny and it didn't help. I called my boys and asked if they had any problem putting this in when they installed it. He told me no and it went right in. I told him when he gets home from work tonight that he can show me how it can come right out. This old man is going to learn something tonight.

Be sure and share it with this old man so I will know the next time should this come up again.

That just doesn't look right at all.

I have always dropped the cross member and the mount leaving the trans on the jack and dealt with it outside the car

I know it doesn't help taking it apart, but in the first picture it looks like if the bolt head were forwards the drivers side there would be enough room for the bolt to come out.

Rusty, what doesn't look right. I don't know. I know if the bolt was turned around it would probably come out. I just don't know how they got it in that way to begin with. Bill, I will let you know if I learn something tonight. But when you put my 2 boys together, no telling what can happen. the only thing I can think of is if I take the 4 bolts out holding the x member up, let the tranny down on the floor jack maybe I can twist the x member enough to get a socket on the bolt heads and back them out. Excuse me , I meant maybe they can. But I can only come down a couple of inches before I hit the exhaust. I am not going to drop the exhaust. They can. If this works, I will turn the long bolt around and take care of that problem and I may fabricate the front of the x member out 1/2" and reweld it and allow for the bolts to be accessed with a socket. But that just seems like a lot to have to do in order to change a mount on the tranny. But I will let you know what happens here. LOL

Rusty, what doesn't look right. I don't know. I know if the bolt was turned around it would probably come out. I just don't know how they got it in that way to begin with. Bill, I will let you know if I learn something tonight. But when you put my 2 boys together, no telling what can happen. the only thing I can think of is if I take the 4 bolts out holding the x member up, let the tranny down on the floor jack maybe I can twist the x member enough to get a socket on the bolt heads and back them out. Excuse me , I meant maybe they can. But I can only come down a couple of inches before I hit the exhaust. I am not going to drop the exhaust. They can. If this works, I will turn the long bolt around and take care of that problem and I may fabricate the front of the x member out 1/2" and reweld it and allow for the bolts to be accessed with a socket. But that just seems like a lot to have to do in order to change a mount on the tranny. But I will let you know what happens here. LOL

If it won't come out cut the bolt in two, get a new one and install it the right direction. Once that bolt is out you should be able to get to the tranny bolts with a wrench by jacking the mount up.

It seems to me, that long bolt is supposed to go in from the drivers side.I would cut the head off and push it out the drivers side. The mount look right to me. Sometimes I use a flex-socket to get those two short bolts out of the tail. Snap-on makes a very compact one. A u-jointed socket has never worked for me. I cant see how they did it either.

I just cannot put my finger on it. Something about it doesn't look right. I know that doesn't help, but that's all I got.

well Rusty, that's all I have too. anxious to see how he does it. my money is on me having to do it tomorrow myself.

well Bill, I didn't learn anything tonight. Tyler came home and talked like it was not a big deal. He said they just put it right up in there. I told him to go out and just take it right out of there for me. I told him that if he went out and just took it right out like it was nothing I was going to hang my tools up. He said " well better get ready to hang them up then" as he proceeded to go in the garage. I told him to just "get er done ". He looked at it for a little while and he told me to jack up the tranny a little and then he just looked up at it. He called his brother, who helped him put it in and asked him if he could come over tomorrow night and figure out what they done to get it in and fix the problem. I told them they had until Friday night to get my car back the way I had originally put it together because I had a car show to go to Saturday. So, I guess tomorrow night will tell the tale. I am going to pop some popcorn and sit and watch them two. Maybe I will learn something then. will keep you posted. This ought to be good.

it shouldn't take more than a half hour to bust loose 3 bolts, jack up the tranny, swap out the mount and replace the 3 bolts.

Bill, I cannot actually say that I learned anything tonight on this tranny mount problem because I actually don't know what happened. Here is the story. My oldest son came over and helped Tyler with this. He happens to be an ASE master tech mechanic. These two guys are the ones who put the tranny in for me. He looked at it and said that he didn't even know what they did but it was a mess. They wound up dropping the exhaust on the pass. side., pulled the 4 bolts out of the x member, lowered the tranny a little, then they managed to remove the 2 tailshaft bolts and then the long bolt came out. Nothing lined up at that point. I went out to the garage at that point and brought the new tranny mount out and tried to put it in and it would not come close to fitting. holes would not align or anything. Put them both side by side on the workbench and realized they are not the same mount. researched the mounts and figured that someone switched the mounts when they returned them to the parts house before I bought it. By this time I am about going nuts. so I looked at this for awhile and put the x member back in, set the old mount back up and for some reason, now everything aligned up perfect. I called a different parts house and they have another mount waiting for me in the morning. I just have to ake sure it is the right one this time. What these guys did that was the problem is that when they put the tranny in, they put the x member, mount on the tranny and then set the tranny up in place and everything was in a bind. that is how they managed to put the long bolt in the wrong side and why the bolts would not come out of the tailshaft because the x member was twisted. I dropped the driveshaft off at the shop yesterday because I didn't want to mess with it. He called me today and let me know that the yoke is junk. Because they had all this stuff in a bind, it took out the yoke, tranny mount and the front u-joint therefore causing the small vibration and probably the quiver when I take off. So, I will be picking up the new tranny mount, driveshaft with new yoke and u-joint tomorrow. hopefully I will be on the road tomorrow evening. And my boys got a lesson on how not to be in a hurry when they work on the old mans car. so the only thing I did learn tonight is not to let anyone work on my car unless I am there. I just happened to be very sick when the tranny was installed. Bill

If it took out the yoke, you better check the output shaft bushing in the tail shaft. I bet a dollar it's wallowed out.

Bill, I cannot actually say that I learned anything tonight on this tranny mount problem because I actually don't know what happened. Here is the story. My oldest son came over and helped Tyler with this. He happens to be an ASE master tech mechanic. These two guys are the ones who put the tranny in for me. He looked at it and said that he didn't even know what they did but it was a mess. They wound up dropping the exhaust on the pass. side., pulled the 4 bolts out of the x member, lowered the tranny a little, then they managed to remove the 2 tailshaft bolts and then the long bolt came out. Nothing lined up at that point. I went out to the garage at that point and brought the new tranny mount out and tried to put it in and it would not come close to fitting. holes would not align or anything. Put them both side by side on the workbench and realized they are not the same mount. researched the mounts and figured that someone switched the mounts when they returned them to the parts house before I bought it. By this time I am about going nuts. so I looked at this for awhile and put the x member back in, set the old mount back up and for some reason, now everything aligned up perfect. I called a different parts house and they have another mount waiting for me in the morning. I just have to ake sure it is the right one this time. What these guys did that was the problem is that when they put the tranny in, they put the x member, mount on the tranny and then set the tranny up in place and everything was in a bind. that is how they managed to put the long bolt in the wrong side and why the bolts would not come out of the tailshaft because the x member was twisted. I dropped the driveshaft off at the shop yesterday because I didn't want to mess with it. He called me today and let me know that the yoke is junk. Because they had all this stuff in a bind, it took out the yoke, tranny mount and the front u-joint therefore causing the small vibration and probably the quiver when I take off. So, I will be picking up the new tranny mount, driveshaft with new yoke and u-joint tomorrow. hopefully I will be on the road tomorrow evening. And my boys got a lesson on how not to be in a hurry when they work on the old mans car. so the only thing I did learn tonight is not to let anyone work on my car unless I am there. I just happened to be very sick when the tranny was installed. Bill

Wow, that sucks. Hopefully this will cure the quiver but I would be concerned about the tail housing bushing being damaged.

If it took out the yoke, you better check the output shaft bushing in the tail shaft. I bet a dollar it's wallowed out.

I agree 100% that it is very likely.

X2

This may sound stupid but also check the phasing of the drive shaft.
My wife's toy which was purchased 90% done, the ends of the drive shaft were not aligned correctly. Discovered this while changing a rear end pinon seal.
It always had a slight vibration since we bought it.
Got lucky, only had to change the rear end seal and both u-joints, I think if it was run about 500 miles further there would have been alot more damage.

not sure if we are talking about the same thing , but....
if the yoke is screwed up, the output shaft bearing and race inside the tailshaft could have sustained a little damage. If it were me, depending on what the yoke looks like, I might pull the tailshaft and check out the bearings.

-
Back