Do shops still sabotage cars for profit?

-
Right.And guess who made the decision to off shore your American jobs to China? Americans.

This is the sad truth of what America is now. It is a failure dedicated to profit, at the expense of the men and women that have fought and died for it.

Your family wage jobs have been exported..... When you look at your unemployed self, family member, or friend..... Just remember....... Someone over seas is is now doing that persons job.

And those jobs will not come back.

One of the guys at work had a set of new tires on his Lexus LX 470. It took 2 hours on the lift for in-stock tires.
3 days later the left rear went soft so he took it back. The tech (?) that put them on suddenly got sick and went home so another guy started to take it off. As soon as he put the wrench on 1 lug nut, the nut and 1/2 the stud fell off before he even hit it with air. And so did the next one. And when he put the key on the locking lug and tried to get it to lock in, he could not do it.

Appears that that guy that put the tires on overtightened 2 lugs and broke them as well as stripped the key off. He then Super Glued the broken studs and lug nuts back on and only finger tightened the locking lug.

Needless to say he no longer is employed there and the repairs and parts will be taken out of his paycheck.

Long time no post, but I'm bored so I'll share some stories.

When I was a kid, my mom called the local Mr. Parts to get a new water pump for my dad to put on when he got home. They quoted her a price and she thought it was high, so she had my grandfather call. They quoted him a price less than half what she was quoted. Same exact part, same store, same salesperson even, but totally jacked up price because she was a woman.

Techs and salespeople really need to stop playing games with people, trust is key to customers returning. I took my car to the local Goodyear a few years back for an inspection. They told me I needed to have my throttle body cleaned because there was carbon buildup and that my power steering fluid was dirty.

Well, I wasn't too pleased that they were disassembling my engine and peeking at the throttle body without my consent as this isn't part of the state inspection procedure and I told them that. The fluid was fine as I checked it before I took the car in. They wanted $80 for some stupid procedure to remove this nonexistant buildup to which I declined.

I checked the throttle body when I got home, it was as clean as when the car was new.

I've yet to find a local shop I can really trust with my car. They all want to poke around in places I don't want them and make stuff up.

Now my dad has a Hyundai Accent ugly thing. His kept throwing up cylinder misfire codes so he took it to the local dealer. He didn't buy the car there and wasn't even under warranty, but they looked at it and replaced the crankshaft sensor all for free. They didn't do anything he didn't ask for. That is what builds trust and he is going there for his next car.

I work in my backyard and at other peoples shops when I can. The shops I go work at don't just let anyone walk in the door and touch their dream vehicle's. First off if you work in your backyard you better treat people right and you better know what you are doing and if you make a mistake you better be able to admit it, and do what it takes to make it right. Workin on these old car's is an art and if you ain't an artist then you are in the wrong profession. I'm not a professional and nor do I want to be, there are plenty that want' me to work on their cars but few I want to work for.There are a few diffrent types of customers to deal with and as an artist or a mechanic or a body man you should know the diffrence.There are the car owners that tell you up front that they want perfection,they are the ones you want' to do your best for and when you work for them you give them your best,you don't cut corners you dont fudge stuff you make it better than the factory did.then their are the ones that want perfection for way less than what you have in time for less than what it is worth(do not work for these people unless it is your friend of many years and you can trust them with your life)they are great if they are your true friend(I have many like that and it is a blessing to be able to do something in return for their friendship and generosity)and then there is the guy that has heard of your work and want's it but only pretends to be a friend or to have the money to pay you for your work......BEWARE OF THAT ONE! Don't take on a job you can't do to perfection in the customers eyes(or in your eyes) if you do a job for free for an old ladie to help her out, do it for love of helping someone in need not for some other reason. There is nothing wrong with doing a job to help someone,But do the job right and be proud of it. BEWARE of the ones that take advantage.this will be a challenge for all of us to figure out which is which.DO GOOD WORK and it will be easy to figure out.......Wagg's

I've been in the dealership business for over 30 yrs. with my time split between Porsche-Audi and Infiniti-Nissan. With the exception of one shithole I worked at (Not naming names, but they are the biggest Nissan dealer in Queens, N.Y.) we all played fair. Whenever I sell, I can walk the customer out to their car and show them or explain what/why they need the work. Unfortunately, one of our top techs was recently let go because he wasn't re-surfacing rotors on pad replacement. That's our shops policy because the brakes WILL squeal on our cars without cutting them. He got caught and was shown the door. He was with them for over 15 yrs. And although no one says anything, they do get disappointed when I don't push all those un-necessary fluid flushes. Yes, they can be needed at times, but not every 7K miles.

Usually when people get screwed, they go value shopping and end up at the rip & run shops: Goodyear, Pep Boys, ETC. When dealerships do it, they are the exception. My shop charges $120 per hour (yes....$120) and we stand behind our work. Bullshit is NOT tolerated. And yes.... I make a VERY nice living. 8)

As for shops sabotaging cars, look at the economy. People are looking to save money and look for a bargain. When they find that inexpensive shop, they roll the dice. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not as widespread as it used to be. As for the Hyundai story, you have to realize the dealership is not going to put one of their top diag guys on an engine swap. That's usually saved for a new tech or a trainee to see how they work. Sounds like there was a rookie on the job. And to further fan the flames, the only time we've had issues with hack mechanics, it's usually the guys whom came from a Ford or GM shop, where hacking seems to be normal. Don't get me started on guys we get from independent shops, such a Midas or Pep Boys....:angry7:

Granted, I'm fortunate that I work in a VERY affluent neighborhood on the North Shore of Long Island (Manhasset for those familiar with the area) and in this bad ecomony, our customers are not buying as many new cars, but boy-oh-boy are they throwing money at their old cars. That's where we shine..... we save them money (in the long run) and give them good service.

FWIW: I can't believe Buy American worked it's way into this topic. That's a whole `nuther issue. Ask me about the new Nissan's being screwed together (and up....) here in America. I've seen FIRST HAND what comes out of that factory, and it's not good. A/C lines not even CONNECTED, never mind being charged and tested! Loose trim, and local-sourced pieces manufactured from the crappiest materials imaginable because they gotta keep those profits up to pay for Joe-sixpacks new union raise. In the winter we couldn't do ANY interior work unless the car was thoroughly warmed up otherwise the interior panels would shatter like glass. This is a BIG reason why I went back to Infiniti, where the cars are assembled "Off Shore". I have way less headaches everyday I punch in....

My wife drives a 2003 Subaru Outback. Made in Indiana, probably more American than a Chebbie. Still, their dealer service network sucks. Overpriced parts, limited knowledge and/or training, and completely unwilling to share any service info. Ours developed an idle problem. Check engine light went on and codes indicated misfire. Local non-Subaru shop changed plugs and wires. Cleared codes, but the problem came back 1/2 block from the shop. Cleaned the throttle body and IAC motor myself. Seemed to help a little, but still codes and poor idle. Decided to try the nearest Subaru dealer. 100 miles away and only 1 to choose from. First thing they notice is the cat converter gets red hot. They want $2500 for the part. Also time to change the timing belt. $6000 estimate and they can't guarantee that the problem will be fixed. Of course, they are willing to trade me up to a new one. I decline. I buy a timing belt kit and a cat converter from the aftermarket. $650 total, but I still have not installed parts and I likely did not need them because I went back to the local shop. Took them another 6 weeks, but they found the EGR valve was stuck. Expensive part, Subaru was the best price on this one at $200, but it solved the problem. I'll change the belt anyways as it is time and the Subaru is famous for expensive repairs when that belt breaks. That cat converter diagnosis kills me! Subaru shop says it was plugged and that causes it to get red hot and idle poorly. BS! The cat gets red hot because it is working, burning up excess fuel which is being dumped out the exhaust because the idle mixture is too rich. Don't know why the EGR valve is not flagged in OBDII, but I guess that's the way it is. Subaru shop also told me the aftermarket cat was not compatible with the O2 sensors, i.e. no bungs. More BS. Still, the original cat is still on the car and works perfectly.

Another rant about parts pricing. Subaru is bad enough, but the local NAPA store will give you different pricing if you are off the street, (highest price), a member of an auto club like AAA, (medium price), or a representative of a large business, (lowest price). The spread from highest to lowest price is significant, say 50%. It's the same part off the same shelf in the same store by the same employee! All this special pricing must be extremely difficult and expensive to manage. Other than a blatant ripoff of the consumer, I don't understand why any business would not offer the best pricing possible under all circumstances?

Oh, wow, John and 73Dust and a few others bring the chain stores into it. I'm not gonna bad mouth the guys at the stores, since I've worked with a few 'em that are good at what they do: brakes, exhaust, suspension. Don't ask 'em to do too much more, but they are good at those three things. Anyway, the chain stores have taken the McDonald's approach to auto repair. As we used to call it: "want fries with that?"
Those wonderful courtesy checks looking for maintainance items on jobs like grinding brakes. Sorry, the customer is thinking of the intial problem, not looking to get his or her power steering flushed today, thank you. I refused to do a courtesy check on state inspection. If a state guy walked in the door and saw me pulling an air filter on NYSI, it was my license. Oil changes? Sure. If the boss did his job right and explained the courtesy check at the counter, fine, I'd do one on a brake job. (Sometimes it was a sales tool in Ithaca, NY, where folks want to haggle. "This is what it's going to cost for your brakes, ma'am. No, I don't have any coupons. No, I'm sorry, I can't discount the job, but I do see that you're overdue for an oil change and could use an air filter. Tell you what, you want to do the brakes today, I'll throw an LOF and air filter in for free.") If I heard the boss talking to the customer, not mention the courtesy check and throw one on the clip board anyway, I wouldn't do it. But if a customer came in needing four tires and an alignment or had a weird noise in the rear suspension? Bye bye courtesy check, since I didn't have any real reason to be under the hood. The company had a policy that they wanted to see a courtesy check on every job. Okay, then. I'd take the courtesy check and write "NYSI" across it, or "declined" on it, if I felt that it was warranted. Or if the boss didn't talk to the customer about it, I would, and see if the customer actually wanted it done.
To me, the "want fries with that" mentality is trying to shake the customer of every dime possible, today, not tomorrow, but today. Maybe not sabotage, like 'spaz is talking about, but trying to rip the customer, nonetheless. One of the chain stores here in the northeast even went so far as to advertise "free brake inspection with every oil change!" Now talk about looking for the upsale! It didn't last long, when they realized that people weren't going to wait around for 45 minutes just to get an oil change. And when it dawned on them that the customers really didn't appreciate having some jamb a brake job down their throats on an LOF.
Which is why it was so nice to change environments and go back to the dealerships, where the courtesy check was only done on oil changes and the service writer talked about maintainence items up front.
I like John talking about the dealership where he's at. It makes for contrasting environments. John, the dealership were Brian was my boss, Brian would have had one of his top one of two guys on that engine swap. And it more than likely would have been his top guy. Hyundai only pays warranty claims if the certified guys work on it. The other guy was bronze certified, capable, but insecure. The top guy would have gotten it done quick and right. And no muddying up the claim. Ford? It would have been one of four of his top guys. Myself and three others. And we were the diag guys, too. Someone he could trust to do it right and do it quick. The bottom guys? One was a guy in his 50s just waiting it out until retirement who didn't like to do anything big. One was bitcher who complained that he didn't get paid enough to do those big jobs, then would complain that he knew too much to be constantly stuck with the little jobs. The other guy was an oil change guy who bounced between the line and the wash wrack. The fourth guy was a new guy just in from the local community college.
The Ford dealership I left last year would have had one of two guys on it. somewhat structured more like you're talking about. It would have been two of the older guys, one hourly who the shop didn't care if he took his time, but knew his s***, the other was flat-rate and had been there for 20+ years. Thankfully, I was the diag guy, so they would left me alone.

Don't know why the EGR valve is not flagged in OBDII, but I guess that's the way it is.

Technically, it is. If not an actual hard code, if you know how to read a scan tool, it should have been caught. You can monitor EGR performance by watching the EGR temp. voltage signal. It *should* be about 4.5v and decrease to below 1v at high engine speed. You can also watch the voltage readings to see the performance of the rear oxygen sensor compared to the front sensor. I'd suspect a system lean code (P0171 or 172 depending on which bank it is) would have been generated too. But this also brings us back to competent diagnosis. If you work on cars, in this case Subaru's, they should know to check the EGR valve if they have one. EGR's are becoming a thing of the past as Nissan/Infiniti has stopped using one for a few years now. We get the same results with variable cam timing and software programming.

Shopping is shopping. Doesn't matter if it's a good butcher, accountant, or mechanic. Ya gotta look around. If your trapped with only one dealership for your brand of car, maybe you should have bought something more mainstream? Why buy a brand XYZ if there is no one, or only one place, for repairs?

Not all the time, or in Gryzynx's case, but the consumer can be the problem too....

To me, the "want fries with that" mentality is trying to shake the customer of every dime possible, today, not tomorrow, but today. Maybe not sabotage, like 'spaz is talking about, but trying to rip the customer, nonetheless. One of the chain stores here in the northeast even went so far as to advertise "free brake inspection with every oil change!" Now talk about looking for the upsale! It didn't last long, when they realized that people weren't going to wait around for 45 minutes just to get an oil change. And when it dawned on them that the customers really didn't appreciate having some jamb a brake job down their throats on an LOF.

Wow..... Talk about a different approach! So what your saying is if a customer came into your shop for an oil change and two days later his brake sensor started touching the rotor, I'm sure he's going to return and ask: What did you do to my car?

He got the oil changed and now it's making a noise. Remember, the average consumer doesn't know much about cars and will suspect the shop did something wrong, and in the example you gave, you did. We go over EVERY CAR that comes into our shop. If I see drive belts starting to crack, I report it. If I see brake pads worn to within touching the sensor, I report on it. Even if the customer declines the repair, when that brake pad sensor starts squawking the next day, we can pull the file and remind the customer they were advised of the condition. Would you want a contractor coming to your house to hang sheet rock on rotting beams? Or would that be considered ripping off the customer too because your new sheet rock fell off of rotting beams that your weren't made aware of?

There's a difference between fixing cars and performing maintenance. Maintenance is being made aware you will need brakes within the next month as opposed to just bringing the car in for an oil change and having the "technican" miss the bad brakes. That's the QUICKEST way to loose a customer! That's when you have to "fix" the car with an angry and un-trusting consumer at your shop. IF they come back to your shop.

And as for a seasoned diag. tech swinging engines, well.... shop policy varies from place to place, as you pointed out.

been down the new mopar road 3 times and 3 times had major issues with each car / truck before or around 55,000 miles. i love what mopar was but until i see a change in overall quality i cant do it. besides most foreign cars are built here and most american cars are really mexican.

been down the new mopar road 3 times and 3 times had major issues with each car / truck before or around 55,000 miles. i love what mopar was but until i see a change in overall quality i cant do it. besides most foreign cars are built here and most american cars are really mexican.

Oh and i forgot to add one thing. Remember i said i had 100,000 trouble free miles with it. i still have the original b.f. tires up front. the issue is not with the car or the car company that gladly replaced the trans, engine and other parts for free. the problem is with the bad mechanics that exist in the world and the shop managers who also do not follow up and do their job. i am confident that now i have made a big stink the car will properly be fixed.

Remember this car has over 100,000 miles and was never at the dealer for anything but recalls i did all service on it.

Wow..... Talk about a different approach! So what your saying is if a customer came into your shop for an oil change and two days later his brake sensor started touching the rotor, I'm sure he's going to return and ask: What did you do to my car?

He got the oil changed and now it's making a noise. Remember, the average consumer doesn't know much about cars and will suspect the shop did something wrong, and in the example you gave, you did. We go over EVERY CAR that comes into our shop. If I see drive belts starting to crack, I report it. If I see brake pads worn to within touching the sensor, I report on it. Even if the customer declines the repair, when that brake pad sensor starts squawking the next day, we can pull the file and remind the customer they were advised of the condition. Would you want a contractor coming to your house to hang sheet rock on rotting beams? Or would that be considered ripping off the customer too?

There's a difference between fixing cars and performing maintenance. Maintenance is being made aware you will need brakes within the next month as opposed to just bringing the car in for an oil change and having the "technican" miss the bad brakes. That's the QUICKEST way to loose a customer! That's when you have to "fix" the car with an angry and un-trusting consumer at your shop. IF they come back to your shop.

And as for a seasoned diag. tech swinging engines, well.... shop policy varies from place to place, as you pointed out.

Actually, John, what I was pointing out was the idea that the store was doing a complete brake inspection with every oil change. Not a visual, through the wheels, through the backing plate inspection, but a pull the wheels off, measure the rotors, take the calipers off, check the pins, push the pistons back, beat the drums off, look at the shoes and wheel cylinders brake inspection done on an oil change. I've been able to take a look through the dust shields on most cars and seen how close the squealer is and then talk to the customer about checking the brakes. Or seen that the rotor is rusting because the inside pad is stuck. Haven't you? That's one of the reasons the little "windows" exist in the dust shields. Tire rotations are even better. These guys were pullling brakes apart on every oil change. Customers were getting frustrated that it was taking 45 minutes to do an oil change while the mechanic was looking for bad brakes and started going to the ten minute oil change places. So guess who started loosing business on even oil changes? It didn't increase business for them, it actually hurt them.

Now, to the flip side, yeah, you've got the hood open on a brake job to check the brake fluid level. Bad brakes. Did the customer fill the master? Are you going to have to suction some of the access fluid out or just let it puke all over the floor when you push the pistons back and have an over full master when you're done or is the level where it should be and you're comfortable going on with the job? You notice a belt that's worn. I'll give you that. You just made your customer aware of a potential problem. On the other hand a customer comes in for four tires. That's it. No other services. What are you doing under his hood? Five miles down the road his engine pops. Guess who was the last person under his hood? Did you touch anything that would blow up his engine? Can you prove it?

I'll give you that. You just made your customer aware of a potential problem. On the other hand a customer comes in for four tires. That's it. No other services. What are you doing under his hood? Five miles down the road his engine pops. Guess who was the last person under his hood? Did you touch anything that would blow up his engine? Can you prove it?

Well, technically, yes, we DO go under the hood. We top off the washer fluid, check coolant & oil, check brake fluid level, and look over belts & hoses. As I mentioned, we charge a ton of cash and we try and keep our customers happy no matter how mundane or un-related the visit is for. Plus it's nice to advise a customer who's interested in maintaining their cars and making more money. THAT'S the reason I go to work. If a customer needs, let's say brakes, and he's in our shop for a windshield wiper issue, and we sell THE REQUIRED NECESSARY WORK everyone is happy.It's called Good Service. How do you think I restored my car, pay my bills, and go on vacations? By robbing people or making a good living doing the right thing? I know how I do it. :-D

Again, knowledge is better than ignorance. Our customers want to know how their cars are and how safe it is. And I can prove everything I do and justify every action I take. I'm a professional.

I have been in the auto repair field since 1975 and two things have happened.I have a cutomer base of the best customers in the world and i have made a very good living at it.scum like this guy will not last and he will get his in the long run

by the way it sounds, I'm glad I don't work for the public

I have to agree with you. Every person is different and they all have their opinions and perspectives. That's why I work on the straight & narrow. Hard enough making money, no sense pissing off your bread & butter. But EVERY job has it's right & WRONG way of doing business. Ever watch that $7 an hour guy make sandwhichs in a fast-food place? They put on gloves, handle your food, then they take that wad of money that came from Gawd knows where, and handle it with that gloved hand that just made your sandwhich with! I've walked out of places after asking for my money back after watching that happen and I've never had a store manager argue with me yet on that point.....

Yeah, dealing with the public can be challenging.
:-D

I have been in the auto repair field since 1975 and two things have happened.I have a cutomer base of the best customers in the world and i have made a very good living at it.scum like this guy will not last and he will get his in the long run

What you posted is the truth. Reminds me of a moral-story I learned YEARS ago when I first started in this business.

A young Bull and an elder Bull approach a clearing and look down the hill and see a field full of Cows. The young Bull exclaims to the elder that they should run down the hill and plow one of the Cows. The elder Bull looked at the young Bull and said let's WALK down the hill and make love to all of them.

Think about it.
8)

it is truly sad that there are way too many mechanics doing that. My parents had a '96 windstar and the engine went, so under warrenty they took it to the dealership and got a new one. 2 months later BOOM Piston 2 goes whee thru the block. upon inspection the dealership forgot to put oil in the new engine. Then they try to play it off that it was my parents fault for not checking and putting it in. lemme say noone in my family has bought a Ford from that dealership since

Well, technically, yes, we DO go under the hood. We top off the washer fluid, check coolant & oil, check brake fluid level, and look over belts & hoses. As I mentioned, we charge a ton of cash and we try and keep our customers happy no matter how mundane or un-related the visit is for. Plus it's nice to advise a customer who's interested in maintaining their cars and making more money. THAT'S the reason I go to work. If a customer needs, let's say brakes, and he's in our shop for a windshield wiper issue, and we sell THE REQUIRED NECESSARY WORK everyone is happy.It's called Good Service. How do you think I restored my car, pay my bills, and go on vacations? By robbing people or making a good living doing the right thing? I know how I do it. :-D

Again, knowledge is better than ignorance. Our customers want to know how their cars are and how safe it is. And I can prove everything I do and justify every action I take. I'm a professional.

I agree John. I am the same way. I perform an oil change but note all the little things to folks and put them on the work order. SOme people just like it when they see how much of an eye you have for their car and its preventable maintainence items. I do alot of upselling because the cars I deal with(75 and older) usually aren't cared for much and just driven til the wheels fall off, literally. My shop charges $100/hour, and I want people to feel good about what they are paying for. I pride myself on being a professional. SOme folks think I am "way too expensive", yet their car doesn't run well, stop well, al because they went to "the other place" that does classics and muscle cars. Those shops care about profit. I personally don't make a whole lot, but I do this for the PASSION of it. My employee has worked in dealerships and has told me horror stories...

I have to agree with you. Every person is different and they all have their opinions and perspectives. That's why I work on the straight & narrow. Hard enough making money, no sense pissing off your bread & butter. But EVERY job has it's right & WRONG way of doing business. Ever watch that $7 an hour guy make sandwhichs in a fast-food place? They put on gloves, handle your food, then they take that wad of money that came from Gawd knows where, and handle it with that gloved hand that just made your sandwhich with! I've walked out of places after asking for my money back after watching that happen and I've never had a store manager argue with me yet on that point.....

Yeah, dealing with the public can be challenging. :-D

I agree with everything in this statement.

I have walked out of sandwhich shops b/c of that.

I wish everyone would work on the straight and narrow. Just show up on time, do what you are supposed to do, and don't lie to me. Why can't people just say what they mean, and do what they say? And that should apply to everything. I have friends that are single, and they won't ask a girl out because they don't know if she feels the same way. How could you know if you don't ask?

And as for working with the public, my wife works at the public library and tells some wild storys about her day. Its a free service and people complain, old men hit on her, they won't bring books back. Its unreal, I'm just glad I don't have to do it.

I think one of the things we're dealing with here as a concept of area and an idea of customers we're dealing with. Now, let's say, if I'm bringing that car into the shop for the wiper issue and notice the brake pedal is spongy as all get out, I'm going to advise the service writer to talk to the customer about it. We'll go from there. Now your example of popping the hood and checking and topping off fluids no matter what the service is, fine, if it's advertised and talked about up front. And the customer is aware of the idea that the tech is going under the hood for a reason: to perform a courtesy service because it's something the shop provides. Some shops don't do that, don't offer that service, don't advertise that service, and therefore, as the technician responsible for that car, if I personally do it, without the authorization of the customer, I'm now liable for anything that may happen and the shop isn't going to back me up. "Why were you under the guy's hood, checking his oil, when he came in for four tires? It's not something we do." I've had customers who didn't have the courtesy check explained to them go ballastic in this situation. "I'm here for four tires, what are you doing under my hood?" Even though I may have the courtesy check in front of me, handed to me by the boss. If your dealership offers that service on every visit, fine. The dealerships that I've worked for offer that service only on oil changes. Why, because the customers in this area call that fishing. I can guarantee you that if you were at the last dealership I was at and a customer came in for four tires and you had the hood open for no reason other than you felt like topping off the winshield wash and checking the oil you'd be rolling your toolbox out the door. Why? Because the dealership didn't offer the free top off services on anything but oil changes and the boss would accuse you of fishing, too.
As I've pointed out, one of my former bosses is a member here, he'll attest that I've never let a customer go out the door without the customer being apprised of necessary repairs. Done today or not. The customer is still aware of what I've found. When I have found it. The brake pedal feels good? Then I have no real reason to put a car in the air and take a tire off to look at the brakes if the car is in for a check engine light and a misfire code. But while I'm under the hood taking a look for the misfire, and I notice the master is low, then I'll talk to the writer to talk to the customer as to the reason the master is low. I've actually heard a service writer mumble to himself that I look over a car too well. And I've done it without having to pull a tire to check the brakes while I'm looking at a #3 misfire code. Either way, it's been noted that the customer is now aware that there may be issues with the brakes in the near future. But if the master is full, why do I have the tire off?
Now, on the other hand, a car came in for four tires and you noticed the brakes were thin, then you talked to the service writer about taking a look at the brakes, then it was up to the service writer to call the customer for an approval on a brake inspection and that gave you a reason to pop the hood to check the master and if you noticed a belt was bad... then when you head to the parts department to get prices on everything you can add in those things you also saw. It's now up to the writer to make the customer aware of those things, but it's now noted on the original repair order. You see, in your neck of the woods, the customer may expect you to go over things with a fine tooth comb from start to finish no matter what they come in for. Here the customer wants to be informed of every step taken in the process and how you arrived at the findings.
As for my professionality: PM bpwordman. Ask him what kind of professional I am. So don't even go there.

By the way, wanna know why Brian hired me at that particular dealership? He wanted someone to set the stage to show the guys who had worked hourly all there lives that if they were willing to bust a hump then there was money to be made on a the incentive program he put in place. I was flat-rate and commission all my career. He also wanted someone there to show them that if they were willing to look a car over, and do it honestly, then more hours could be had for the incentive program. He also wanted someone who could deal with the customers honestly, who wouldn't sabotage or fish for problems to pad those hours, and to win back some customers who had left, which I did.
Wanna know why I got hired at my last job? For the exact same reasons.

I'm a Chrysler and Hyundai certified tech, have been doing it since '75 mostly with Chrysler but recently with Hyundai as well. We tell the customer they will be getting a free inspection when their car goes in the shop. I don't top off any fluids in that inspection but I will check them and anything else that is common wear and tear as well as scheduled maintenance items.

I won't sell you stuff that's not needed but there is a difference between needed and scheduled. Hyundai says to replace the timing belt on most vehicles at 48 months or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. Some people get mad when I suggest this, will their timing belt last more than 60K? Probably but if it doeasn't Hyundai won't pay for the engine under it's powertrain warranty if you haven't had it replaced with a Hyundai belt. Same goes for fluid changes, if you don't do them as scheduled you are SOL.

it is truly sad that there are way too many mechanics doing that. My parents had a '96 windstar and the engine went, so under warrenty they took it to the dealership and got a new one. 2 months later BOOM Piston 2 goes whee thru the block. upon inspection the dealership forgot to put oil in the new engine. Then they try to play it off that it was my parents fault for not checking and putting it in. lemme say noone in my family has bought a Ford from that dealership since

I find this very hard to believe. An engine with NO oil will not go 2 months before trouble appears from running dry.

In a word yes. I have spent about $2500 on the AC in my 00 Grand Caravan and it still doesnt work. Mechanics look at you like a meal ticket. Im so pissed that Im doing the rest of the AC work myself,environment be damned.

Shifty mechanics are what started me on my own repairs when I was 16.

I just started working at a dealership. I do a lot of 'multi point inspections' for people since the dealer offers it as a courtesy. My job, therefore, is 'to find the problem'. 90% of the time, I find nothing since most of the cars I work on are only a year or two old. Sometimes I find a leak of some sort, a ripped boot, low brakes etc. I tell the service writer about it and almost invariably nothing gets done. I did my job though by looking for things, jotting them down and notifying the customer about it.

Older cars do come in though and the service manager says let's sell some work on this car. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I always take my little flexible stream light and take a look see at the brakes while it's on the lift. Every car that goes up in the air gets the tire pressure checked and set. Sometimes even that can be way off in either direction which can directly effect drivability. If I do an oil change, I top off fluids if necessary and always fill the washer fluid. I check for leaks, check the belts and generally look over things - I'd be remiss if I didn't. To me, that's service.

A car came in yesterday, the R.O. said Cust. states: check coolant, hoses, brakes, exhaust. All good but then I popped the box on the air filter and it was really dirty. I took it to the writer to sell since the lady seemed like she wanted to know if anything was wrong. She declined at first but then as I was bringing the car around she re-thought and we sold it to her.

To me, it's all about informing the customer of their options and doing the crap they don't want to be bothered with - LOF, tire pressure, washer fluid, air filter. No one holds a gun to their head and says you must do brakes now, but there are writers and owners out there who are slimy enough to make it seem like it's a life-and-death chioce. That's silly, that's why people feel they get ripped off.

There's also many customers who are completely oblivious and drive their cars for 30,000 miles without being serviced. They destroy them and wind up paying out of pocket because the warranty does not cover negligence. I did a brake replacement on an '08 Wrangler becuae the dumb *** didn't know why they had no brakes but didn't happen to notice all the orange rust around their rear wheels because they were almost THROUGH backing plates and popped the piston out of the caliper. They had wheel locks too but the key wasn't in the car so I had to chisel them off. While looking through the car for the key, I found a Target bag with three bottles of brake fluid. I laughed at that one! These are the types of customers that writers and owners dream of. They get a few on the hook and think EVERYONE is like that but it's just not the case.

-
Back