do you tip at resturants?

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
Went to dinner the other night for my b-day, had a good authentic German meal.
When we left the waiter came out to the parking lot and cussed us out for not leaving enough of a tip. What a jerk.The guy didn't deserve any tip at all from the service he gave Since when are the customers responsible for paying an employees wages? Just another way for the owner to make more money.
I say let the employer pay his employees. I haven't seen any restaurant owners living in the gettos lately.
Bruce.

Yes, waiters and waitresses make a little over $2.00 an hour and rely on tips to pay their bills. I tip according to the total bill and (of course) the service anywhere from 15-25 percent. Happy belated birthday.

I agree with John... If the service TOTALLY sucks, I leave the minimum: 15%. If the service was great, and the food sucked, I'll leave 20-25% too. If the food & service was exceptional, I'll tip heavy, and ask to see the person whom prepared our meal and will compliment them face to face and let the Manager know so.

I hate to say this, but if the waiter followed you out into the parking lot you should have handled it better before it got that far. I usually start by getting the manager to come to our table and I let it be known WHY I'm unhappy. Usually they'll compensate you for drinks, or remove an item from the bill. If you get bad service and no sympathy from the manager, I just get up and walk out....

Out of curiosity... how expensive was the meal? Are we talking a $30 chew & choke like Sizzler or Outback with high school kids serving you... or was it a "nice" restaurant?

When I go to a sit down restraunt, I tip for sure.

I expect my soda/water to stay better than 1/3 full, my meat cooked thoroughly, and no Hair to be found anywhere.

If I ask for a side order and it takes longer to get than a refill on a drink, I start getting perturbed.

What is wrong with wanting to be taken care of?

When I want to eat at a sit down restraunt I want to be treated respectfully and like a paying customer.

I never tip more than 20% though.....the service isn't up to most peoples standards around here....and everysince I watched that movie "Waiting" I gauge the service with more scrutiny.

Washington and his buddies aren't falling off trees these days.

:king:

Yes I do but the service sucks then they don't get as much out of me. If they do a very good job they might get more than 15% of the bill. Years ago a girl I met moved in with me and she was a waitress. Her income helped with the bills of course so I know how it is on the other side also.

waiters usually get paid low low hourly wages since they are tipped employees. even after working in a restaurant for awhile, i have no problem leaving no, or little tip...based on service.

I tip 15 to 20 % usually unless I have to wait for tea and my bill when i,m done then I may go as cheap as 10. but if service and food is xclnt i may go 25 0r 30. I have a little mexican restaraunt I frequent and every few times i go I slip the hostess a five or ten and its funny when the lines out the door I never seem to wait long and always get a booth. The waiters know me and keep my margaritas full and my wife gets loopy off her crown and cokes. I suspect theyre loading them up. Every one likes to get greased. If I cant afford to eat and tip I eat at home.

20-25% depending on the service, if it sucks 10% and tell the server why even though they may not like the answer.

Terry

Tips should be earned and not considered a given thing. Lets say we're dealing with a $70 meal. If the service is excellent i will most likely leave $20 maybe $30. It won't be the waitresses fault the food maybe bad. If the waitress acts like they could care less that's the attitude my tip will reflect. Sometimes when some of my help does a good job during the week and goes beyond the call of duty, in front of the other guys, i'll give him an extra $20 bill to maybe inspire more effort from the other crew members. I've given out as much as $100 to crew member. I'm not tight but don't like to be screwed. I will reward a job well done.

Well, only good place to eat around here and watch some tv and have some fun is, Hooters! So I base it on cig tray, refill on drinks, show on, and the waitress attitude and "friendlyness"

I have to agree with Longgone and Fastback340.
Waiters and waitresses don't make much and depend on tips.
If they do a good job I give them a little extra. If not they may get less.
If they're rude or don't show up to see if everything is ok I'll probably
have a talk with the manager.
Yours did sound like a jerk though. He's one the manager should have heard about.

Tom

As far as the waiter following you out to your car, that is a out of hand and pretty disrespectful to to you and the company as well. I for one as my first job worked at Texas Roadhouse getting paid a whooping $2.15 an hour, if you don't know what that is it's a pretty hyped up joint for BBQ and that sorta stuff, and seeing first hand how badly the customers actually are to waiters/waitress for no reason is pretty sad. Things such as yelling at us for being in an aisle seat ? an obese person getting agry at us because he/she couldn't fit in to the booth or table, and of course getting really angry because there is an empty seat in a section that is shut down for the night only thinking that they could of be seated there the whole time they were waiting for 15 min. Sorry but the Old people are the worse oohhhhh I can't tell you enough lol. But yes as the saying goes, customers are always right ! Ever since working at a restaurant, I start tipping better because I know everything they have to go through to get everything prepared and the harassment thrown at them. I'm not saying all restaurants have a staff such as this, but if it's typical like I believe it is then tipping if any at all is still somewhat necessary unless they savotaged your food or something lol.

At least 20-25%,i even tip the people at Dunkin Donuts every morning,then again i'm not cheap like so many others...

At least 20-25%,i even tip the people at Dunkin Donuts every morning,then again i'm not cheap like so many others...

Sorry to disagree, but Dinky Dunknuts doesn't count as "waiter" service to me. I mean... I don't tip the guy at the deli for handing me a coffee either. Grabbing a muffin off the shelf? You must make good coin to toss it around like that! :-D

What makes me laugh is the guy with the tip cup in restrooms! What, he should get a buck to make sure the light is on if I gotta pee? :bootysha:

Being the "po boy" I don't eat out very often, but being the husband of a former waitress, when I do, I tip generously IF the service is adequate (20 to 25 percent) The quality of the food shouldn't be a consideration except to let management know of your opinion. The tip is for service and I would only consider the quality of service in calculating the tip. If the food sucks then let the manager know that you won't be back. The cook should be paid to prepare great food and should not be considered in the tip equation.

If you can't or won't leave a decent tip eat at home or fast food.Those people gotta live too.:bootysha:

The wife and I frequent the local Texas Road House. We always set at the
bar rail. If the bar tenders see us come in the front door they have my tea
and the wife's margarita ready for us when we sit down. They call us by
name and give us great service. One of the gals became pregnant..we gave her a gift card to buy new baby stuff. Another was going to Florida
for a week with her kids...we gave her cash to help out with the trip. Another
couple was getting married and we gave them a nice money gift. We are not
rich by any means, but these folks have become a part of our "family" and we
like to help out any way we can. We always tip at least 30% if not more.

I agree with Dart-swinger......

If people do a good job they need to make a decent living.

If you can't or won't leave a decent tip eat at home or fast food.Those people gotta live too.:bootysha:

Yes they do have to live too but if they're providing lousy service like Bruce said he got they don't get much.

Now if I see one poor little gal (seen this many times) running like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to take care of 8 tables at one time she gets a real good tip even if she is a little slow to me. I also tell the manager how they need more help.

I tip according to the service I get. And if there is a problem I talk to the manager if the waiter/waitress is no help.

My tips range anywhere from 10% (lousy service) to 30% (super service).

I am a poor student, but I know the importance of tipping, I have given no tip before for lousy service but I usually do the 15-20% range. If I frequent the resterant they get to know me and that fact that I am a student and I get great service.

T I P = To Insure Promptness

Especially tip well at places you frequent often. They will remember.

I usually start out with a 30% tip in mind, and let it drop from there. It all depends on the amount of time I have to wait in between being seated and when my actual waiter makes contact, and how. If my waiter hasn't stopped by yet and avoids eye contact and just plain blows by I drop the tip by a %. If I have been seated and they haven't shown up in 10 minutes I stop by and talk to the manager on the way out. Making a quick flyby and contact goes a long way with me, ignore me and you aren't getting chit! Keep my glass filled, or ask and it's all good, don't and it drops a % or so. I've has servers that just plain sucked, wrong order, cold food, rude etc= crappy tip like the service and I've had ones that have perfect timing, hot food, and genuinely nice=good tip. My mom was a waitress for years and told me that two pennies was always considered an insult as a waitress versus no tip. Iv'e only had one time where I did that, and I was not the only table to do so. And I've left a $50 tip on a $20 bill. Just like I have to earn my money they do to.

I tip 15 to 20 % usually unless I have to wait for tea and my bill when i,m done then I may go as cheap as 10. but if service and food is xclnt i may go 25 0r 30. I have a little mexican restaraunt I frequent and every few times i go I slip the hostess a five or ten and its funny when the lines out the door I never seem to wait long and always get a booth. The waiters know me and keep my margaritas full and my wife gets loopy off her crown and cokes. I suspect theyre loading them up. Every one likes to get greased. If I cant afford to eat and tip I eat at home.

I am totally there also! :thumbrig:
My wf & I also do a mex. rstrnt. We have been there 25 times or so.

After, the floor working manager manager (who is taking orders if needed, great greeter, hostice, casher, and waiters figured out (about the 3rd or 4the time we where there) that we could be a long term customer and did tip respectfully. (20-25%) out of respect and was delightful service and great food.

Now......... We get a booth also quickly, Sangrea WINE & Coke for wife /, Beer for me ASAP with menu, chips, dip ( BOTH STYLES!)
They know we make up our mind fast, there timing is almost perfect for taking the order.

All they now to do is just walk by my table and they know my look / yes I need...., or nothing now and I continue my communication with my wife with out any interuption.

I have increased the the bill w/tip: Example: 3-4 vists average $35.00

4 up to date $48.00. ( Same priced meals, very large two plate with salad).

I am like you when I cannot afford to eat and tip to I eat at home.

I AM TREATED LIKE A KING, VERY NICE TOUCH IN MY LIVE. :king:

Also I have to share with you that when the manager brings me my bill he will say "beers on me". They know my wife only has up to 2 classses wine.

I really love the place!

By the way, I have been going there 9 months.( lot of great menu items ).

:rock:

When are you going to take me and mine
to this fine delightfull place.:bootysha:
Sounds good.:cheers:

is it in town?

Are they closed now:-D memike hungry:drinkers:

I do more than my part when I go out to eat and get served.8)

Know if I don't get served8) That could get funny :blob:

I'm a Server in a Mexican food restaurant in Downtown Disney, Disneyland. Theres a couple of things that jumped out at me when i read this. First, being a server and knowing how things can get at a restaurant, i always tip 15% or higher. If the service is good, mind you my standards are pretty high our waiter will get a pretty nice tip. If they do an ok job then 20%, if things are taking a while be it soda or sides then 15%. Second thing that caught my attention
Since when are the customers responsible for paying an employees wages? Just another way for the owner to make more money. I say let the employer pay his employees.

i know that in California, the state taxes your tips and takes it out of your pay checks. So you pretty much work and live off of your tip money. In other states the minimum wage for waiters is a lot lower then normal and the tips they make compensates for the low wages to bring them back up to around or a little over the minimum.

Being that i work at Disneyland the tips usually pretty decent. And not to brag that i am a great server or anything but getting "stiffed" sucks and it happens. Now running out and causing a scene over it is a little drastic, sometimes you just bight the bullet and move on the the next table....

** A HINT FOR ALL OF YOU OUT THERE THAT ARE DECENT TIPPERS****
when at a restaurant, if you happen to pay your bill on a credit card, try and leave a tip in cash. That way your state cant tax all of your tip. If you pay and tip in cash your state has no way of knowing how much you left so your waiter can declare the minimum thats required and will benefit more from it.

Sorry to disagree, but Dinky Dunknuts doesn't count as "waiter" service to me. I mean... I don't tip the guy at the deli for handing me a coffee either. Grabbing a muffin off the shelf? You must make good coin to toss it around like that! :-D

What makes me laugh is the guy with the tip cup in restrooms! What, he should get a buck to make sure the light is on if I gotta pee? :bootysha:

Make good coin..not me i've just been very generous my entire life,well depends on what restroom you go in,i know down at e-town those guys hand you the soap,towels,and a mint on the way out..that deserves a tip in my book..

-
Back