Doc's 76 Four Door Valiant

-
I really like that fuel door, I never thought of the modern challenger door. I'm tired of my original cap "weeping" fuel on the quarter!

Thanks for the comments guys, it's good to have a modern fuel door. Finding a donor car was difficult, all the bone yards want to sell the whole quarter panel that has the fuel door. Finally found one that was off a base model Challenger with a standard flip up fuel door that they didn't care so much about. Under the standard fuel door is the same recessed metal on Hemi cars that you need to do the job. I also got them to throw in the fuel filler neck, you just need the first few inches of the filler neck down to where it tapers off to a much smaller tube. I cut mine off at the small taper and after a bit of clean up it fit perfectly inside the Valiant's original fuel filler tube. You need to do this so that the Challenger gas cap will thread into the fuel filler tube.

Attachments

• IMAG3124.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 548
  • IMAG3125.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 526
  • IMAG3123_BURST002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 529
Starting on a protective box with a removable top/lid around the fuel pump and lines, making this up as I go.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Cover 3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 489
  • Fuel Pump Cover 2.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 481
More shots of the fuel pump housing taking shape

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Housing 4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 480
  • Fuel Pump Housing 5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 461
Looks awesome. I had something like that pictured in my mind when I asked about it earlier in the thread. Does the fuel pump have some wiggle room when you unbolt it? If it absolutely has to pull straight up, it looks like it might hit the box. It may just be the angle the pic was taken. You're clicking right along on your project! :prayer:

Thanks JD, it's a tight fit, but it just does clear without touching the pump. Just got done with priming the housing, now I need to attach it. Plan was to weld the housing in place but I changed my mind and decided to latch or bolt it down so that servicing the pump or any of the hoses/fittings is not a nightmare.

Attachments

• IMAG3127_BURST002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 438
  • IMAG3129_BURST002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 420
Ended up welding the fuel pump housing in place.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Housing Welded In Place 1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Fuel Pump Housing Welded In Place 3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Fuel Pump Housing Welded In Place 2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 417
Photos of the pump being installed, housing with pump, lines and a (dusty) plexiglass cover installed.

Attachments

• Installing Pump.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 397
  • Pump With Plexiglass Cover 1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 401
  • Pump With Plexiglass Cover 2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 375
Congrats on the start up! Coming along well! Few questions: so what's the auxiliary oil pump from. Intended aftermarket piece or something from another vehicle? Also noticed the Edelbrock something or other on the dash? Digital gauges from? Details man! We need details!
Again, congrats on the progress!

:prayer: Congrats on the startup, and thanks for the cool video! I bought the same fuel pump you used, and have a dude building me a gas tank. When you turned the switch on, and your oiler thingy started making noise, I thought "Holy ****! The fuel pump is loud!" Then you explained it was the oiling system....lol.

Thanks for all the congrats, it was really awesome to have it run after all the effort. I learned that if the G3 Hemi sits for an extended time, you need to prime the oil pump or the PCM will sense that there is no oil pressure and will not start the engine. This was the main reason I added the pre-luber, plus I already had it so why not use it? Another problem from the Hemi sitting for an extended time was clogged/kaput fuel injectors. I found three bad ones during a bench test of the fuel injectors and order replacements on eBay. The date was 5/2/2015 at 6:30 am when the Hemi ran for the first time since I bought it two years ago, I'm putting that date on my calendar.

I picked up the external oil pump years ago; it was called a “Pre-Luber” by the company marketing it at the time. It’s still out there, here’s one for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-AUTO...12V-/161714815344?hash=item25a6f44170&vxp=mtr
I decided to use the pre-luber after reading about difficulties priming the oil pump in the G3 Hemi. I forgot how noisy the thing is though, right now it’s mounted without any rubber isolators, once those are installed, that should tone it down a bit. I do like changing oil without crawling under the car too, the pre-luber has a quick disconnect hose that you can stick into a container, and then push a momentary contact switch till all the oil is sucked out. The pre-luber has an electronic module with an adjustment for run time after the engine is shut off, it’s pre-programed to run for 1 minute before startup which is not adjustable.
The remote start is a plug and play system that uses the factory key fob, found that on eBay too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlashLogic-...5344&clkid=6626748573885987047&_qi=RTM2067268
The dash was done years ago too with Dakota Digital Fluorescent Gauges, because my digital gauges are older and not designed to work with computer controlled engines I had to buy an adaptor from Dakota Digital that would talk to the CAN-BUS and send that data to the gauges. I’m going to rework the appearance of the dash face while keeping the gauges, I have two tone grey leather seats from a Charger so I’m leaning towards a grey interior with carbon fiber accents in the dash /door panels/console.
The Edelbrock air/fuel ratio monitor was also done years ago when the Valiant had a carbed 383 that I was fine tuning. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-6593 I’ll probably still use it as I am thinking about adding a Pro Charger to the Hemi.

Man that is a great video. It's cool you got the remote start to work with everything.
Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more...

I love this car, can't wait to see it finished! I'm glad I'm not the only one putting time and effort into four doors, my a body is actually my first drivable 2 door mopar, lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 277
I love this car, can't wait to see it finished! I'm glad I'm not the only one putting time and effort into four doors, my a body is actually my first drivable 2 door mopar, lol!

Welcome to the world of "more doors". I refer to mine as "Mordor" (from the Lord Of The Rings).

Glad to see more "More Doors".
Love to see faces when I cruise around and how they change when they hear it...
It is like light bulbs going off in their heads.:shock: As they realize it ain't the granny grocery getter they thought it was.

Attachments

• 0514152047a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 274
Been a long time since I've had any progress, but here's some photos of the instrument panel going together. I wanted it to look similar to the factory instrument panel, but different than anything else out there. I'm using an old set of Dakota Digital gauges since I already had them.

All Metal Instrument Panel.jpg

Holes For Gauges And Switches.jpg

LED Light Bar And Flair Trim.jpg

Rails To Position Gauges And Lenses.jpg

-
Back