Don’t Convert to R134a

-
If I remember correctly, carbon tetrachloride was used for fire extinguishers decades ago. My neighbor bought one at an antique shop about 5 years ago. A sealed glass ball mostly full on liquid. The idea was to toss it at the base of the fire to break the glass and then get out real fast as the gas given off is highly toxic.
I worked for a mom and pop machine shop while I was still in school and a few years after. Old guy that owned it opened it up in 1957 when ha came back from the Navy. He had a 55 gallon drum about half full of it. Used it for carburetor and small parts cleaner. Best cleaner I've ever seen to this day. He said it never went bad. When it would seem to "get weak", we'd pour it into another container, clean the drum out and strain it going back into the drum and it was as strong as new. IT was some badass stuff.

I agree. Although R12 can out cool 134, if you can't get 134 to cool, you're doin it wrong.
Vacuum down system, replace expansion valve and dryer and replace oil and R134. Mine been working for years. True, I think the R12 was colder. R12 is what they used in freezers and water coolers.

I priced r1234yf when I bought my $7 r134a cans.

$68 for 12oz!

Currently, I am gathering parts to make a relay system for the 3 fan speeds... as the original fan switches are poorly designed and this will alleviate most of the current going thru the switch.
When you do this, please share your installation details. Thanks.

"Factless conspiracy theories that refuse to die for a thousand, Alex!"

US patents last 20 years. The patent on R12 would have expired in 1948.

So yeah, your memory was serving you there, but what it was serving you was less like new oats and more like used ones.
Dan, with the people skills you've demonstrated, I would not expect you to understand "business ethics". Should I submit any memory I wish to share to you for concurrence before posting or is more whining to be expected?

In my view, Propane and Butane are as environmentally safe as a Tesla. One thing goes wrong and you have a BBQ you weren't expecting.

Just to clarify a point, Propane and Butane are not Greenhouse Gases (GHG's) as they do not absorb infrared radiation and reflect it back to earth (at least in any meaningful way). But even CO2 is only a minor GHG in the grand scheme of things. Water vapor is by far the most important GHG and drives 70% of the warming of the planet, which is why we have a habitable planet to begin with. Clouds are the next biggest impact in climate change, but the climate models cannot account for clouds as they don't know the magnitude or even the sign of the impact of clouds. The reason that #1 and #2 impacts are ignored is that no one can control them like Environmental Nuts think they can control CO2 and therefore climate change. Wrong on all accounts. I don't deny that climate changes, it has been doing that for 4.5 Billion years and will never stop. What I do know for a fact is that mans puny efforts to change energy sources will not work, and due to India and China, and others too, CO2 emissions will continue to rise no matter what the Western World does.

In my view, Propane and Butane are as environmentally safe as a Tesla. One thing goes wrong and you have a BBQ you weren't expecting.

Just to clarify a point, Propane and Butane are not Greenhouse Gases (GHG's) as they do not absorb infrared radiation and reflect it back to earth (at least in any meaningful way). But even CO2 is only a minor GHG in the grand scheme of things. Water vapor is by far the most important GHG and drives 70% of the warming of the planet, which is why we have a habitable planet to begin with. Clouds are the next biggest impact in climate change, but the climate models cannot account for clouds as they don't know the magnitude or even the sign of the impact of clouds. The reason that #1 and #2 impacts are ignored is that no one can control them like Environmental Nuts think they can control CO2 and therefore climate change. Wrong on all accounts. I don't deny that climate changes, it has been doing that for 4.5 Billion years and will never stop. What I do know for a fact is that mans puny efforts to change energy sources will not work, and due to India and China, and others too, CO2 emissions will continue to rise no matter what the Western World does

Just to clarify a point, Propane and Butane are not Greenhouse Gases (GHG's) as they do not absorb infrared radiation and reflect it back to earth (at least in any meaningful way). But even CO2 is only a minor GHG in the grand scheme of things. Water vapor is by far the most important GHG and drives 70% of the warming of the planet, which is why we have a habitable planet to begin with. Clouds are the next biggest impact in climate change, but the climate models cannot account for clouds as they don't know the magnitude or even the sign of the impact of clouds. The reason that #1 and #2 impacts are ignored is that no one can control them like Environmental Nuts think they can control CO2 and therefore climate change. Wrong on all accounts. I don't deny that climate changes, it has been doing that for 4.5 Billion years and will never stop. What I do know for a fact is that mans puny efforts to change energy sources will not work, and due to India and China, and others too, CO2 emissions will continue to rise no matter what the Western World does.
Well said!!!

IMHO, the current global warming/climate change are a result of the continuing end to the iceage. Has the activities of man contributed to that warming? Yes, but as you stated it is miniscule.
If you watch the progression of spring in a local that has real winter with knee deep snow from a rural location, you will get a time lapse view of the end of an iceage. Go to one location at the edge of a forest that is not visited by people. Urban areas with cleared roads and sidewalks mess with the progression. If you go to one spot weekly and observe how the snow melts from 50' to 100' away so your tracks do not affect the warming, you will notice that as the sun gets higher the air does not warm much. Eventually the sun warms tree trunks and blades of grass sticking out of the snow. That starts melting the snow around the tree or grass. Eventually the sun's rays can get to the ground around the trees and grass. Snow and ice reflect the sun's rays back into space. Water and ground absorb those rays. Now the melt and warming pick up speed. Then the snow is melted and the temperatures rise. The melting of glaciers is the same thing on a slower scale. At this time earth is coming to the end of spring and the start of summer.
All this yip yap and contortions to stop global warming is pretty much useless other than making a hand full of billionares even more wealthy.
EV's?? At this time passing laws to force everyone to drive an EV is a pointless endeavor. In temperate and populated areas there is place for them. Locals with temperature extremes, either hot or cold, reduce range substantially, requiring more frequent charging. And then there is the issue of the source of the electrons to charge the batteries. Most is not as clean and green as advertised. Currently most areas do not have the infrastructure for mass acceptance of EV's.

AC will drive you nuts sometime, I’ve been chasing my tail on my Toyota, cools great when ambient temp is under 84, get to 94 and it runs then shuts off, turn off-on and it picks right back up for about 5-10 minutes then off again, never comes back on by itself. Tired of changing parts and loosing Freon evertine.

Glad I don't have a/c in my 66. I'll cool off the old fashion way, Drive and dive. Drive till I'm done then dive into the pool. No muss no fuss and no fire to die in.

AC will drive you nuts sometime, I’ve been chasing my tail on my Toyota, cools great when ambient temp is under 84, get to 94 and it runs then shuts off, turn off-on and it picks right back up for about 5-10 minutes then off again, never comes back on by itself. Tired of changing parts and loosing Freon evertine.
High pressure switch or high temp. As it gets hotter the refrigerant expands and system pressure goes up. Check your pressures when real hot. There are charts for temp and Lo/Hi pressures.

High pressure switch or high temp. As it gets hotter the refrigerant expands and system pressure goes up. Check your pressures when real hot. There are charts for temp and Lo/Hi pressures.
Replaced switch and pressures were whitin range. Today it did well 89-92 ambient temp. Should’ve said already replaced switch before. My bad

Last edited:
-
Back