Dougs 67 Notch build

-
So I did it! Posed the question hood pins or not on a 67 and the feedback was "do it" Not being socially aware enough to know if it was sarcasm or not, here is a photo of the install, for the record, I am glad I did it--------------:)

View attachment 1715027483

Nice! The inner fenders on my '68 are drilled for hood pins but I'm not yet sure if I want to got that route or not.

My car is finished, no need to post to this thread any more. Below are the first three of seven photos of the complete car. It's been fun----------------:)
The last photo is of the floor mat I bought for the car 9 years ago and installed today.

Finished5.JPG

Finished6.JPG

Finished7.JPG

Below are four photos of my finished 1967 Barracuda Notchback, you Mopar nerds will be able to identify most of the changes from stock. I will now build my photo garage and post the ones I think might be of interest there but I am essentially without a reason to post here anymore. I will chime in if I think I can give credible help to questions asked. Been great chatting with all of you---------------------------Cheers and happy Easter 2017---------The Rat has left the building-------------------:)

Finished1.JPG

Finished2.JPG

Finished3.JPG

Finished4.JPG

Yes, resurrection of the Cuda on Easter! Great job and of course you are going to be too busy driving to post much.

Verrrry nice Cuda build! May I ask the rear tire and wheel size?
Thanks! I started with a 73 8 1/4 A-body rear axle assembly then I added 15" X 8" custom backspace wheels with 4 1/8" backspace. Then
I put 275-60-15 tires on the car. I mocked everything up on CAD to make sure it would all fit.

Thanks! I started with a 73 8 1/4 A-body rear axle assembly then I added 15" X 8" custom backspace wheels with 4 1/8" backspace. Then
I put 275-60-15 tires on the car. I mocked everything up on CAD to make sure it would all fit.
I have a set of 275/60r15"s that I was wondering if they'd fit my 67 cuda. Also curious about you experience,likes, dislikes about the gearvendors unit. I was thinking about on myself. Any vibration from the shortened driveline. Again,Great build post.

I have a set of 275/60r15"s that I was wondering if they'd fit my 67 cuda. Also curious about you experience,likes, dislikes about the gearvendors unit. I was thinking about on myself. Any vibration from the shortened driveline. Again,Great build post.
First, thanks for asking. Here is the fine print on my drivetrain. My springs and hangers are stock 67, rebuilt and rebushed. The 73 A-Body rear axle is about 1/2" wider axle face to axle face than the 7 1/4 or the 8 3/4 that are common rear axles for the 67 A-Body but the spring perches are the same. That makes it a bolt-in for a 67 Barracuda while moving the inside of any given wheel 1/4" away from the stock springs. Further, I had my rear axle rebuild to a 3:73.1 SG. Wanting to road trip the car my calculations required a 28" tall tire with the GV unit giving me a 70 MPH RPM of 2300 with a lockup converter. To fit the 28" tall tires, (275-60-15) on my car required an 8" wide wheel with a custom backspace of 4.125" to get 1/4" sidewall clearance to the springs at the front of the car with no wheel spacers. I had the wheels custom built with that backspace and had them powdercoated to match my 6" wide wheels going in the front of the car. My last road trip after tuning my engine with a A/F wideband was 16.5 MPG at an average speed of 65-70 MPH. RE the GV unit, I am really glad I installed it. I installed the controls in the console of my car and it worked perfectly out of the box with no tweaking at all. I had the driveline custom made at a specialty shop and dynamically balanced. I checked the output/input delta and added a 1.5 degree shim in the axle perches. If I leave the car in autodrive the GV unit wants to engage at the factory default of 45 MPH which is a little too soon for my build combo. I called GV and asked if we could change the shift point up and they offered to send me a chip to change in the controller for $55.00 to change the engage to 55 mph. I declined for now, I will just engage it manually for the time being as I am still breaking in the engine. Hope this made sense and is useful to your needs----------Best regards------------DR----------:)

Last edited:
First, thanks for asking. Here is the fine print on my drivetrain. My springs and hangers are stock 67, rebuilt and rebushed. The 73 A-Body rear axle is about 1/2" wider axle face to axle face than the 7 1/4 or the
8 3/4 that are common rear axles for the 67 A-Body but the spring perches are the same. That makes it a bolt-in for a 67 Barracuda while moving the inside of any given wheel 1/4" away from the stock springs. Further, I had my rear axle rebuild to a 3:73.1 SG. Wanting to road trip the car my calculations required a 28" tall tire with the GV unit giving me a 70 MPH RPM of 2300 with a lockup converter. To fit the 28" tall tires, (275-60-15) on my car required an 8" wide wheel with a custom backspace of 4.125" to get 1/4" sidewall clearance to the springs at the front of the car with no wheel spacers. I had the wheels custom built with that backspace and had them powdercoated to match my 6" wide wheels going in the front of the car. My last road trip after tuning my engine with a A/F wideband was 16.5 MPG at an average speed of 65-70 MPH. RE the GV unit, I am really glad I installed it. I installed the controls in the console of my car and it worked perfectly out of the box with no tweaking at all. I had the driveline custom made at a specialty shop and dynamically balanced. I checked the output/input delta and added a 1.5 degree shim in the axle perches. If I leave the car in autodrive the GV unit wants to engage at the factory default of 45 MPH which is a little too soon for my build combo. I called GV and asked if we could change the shift point up and they offered to send me a chip to change in the controller for $55.00 to change the engage to 55 mph. I declined for now, I will just engage it manually for the time being as I am still breaking in the engine. Hope this made sense and is useful to your needs----------Best regards------------DR----------:)
Thank you. It helps very much. I like the idea of manually engauging it manually.

First, thanks for asking. Here is the fine print on my drivetrain. My springs and hangers are stock 67, rebuilt and rebushed. The 73 A-Body rear axle is about 1/2" wider axle face to axle face than the 7 1/4 or the 8 3/4 that are common rear axles for the 67 A-Body but the spring perches are the same. That makes it a bolt-in for a 67 Barracuda while moving the inside of any given wheel 1/4" away from the stock springs. Further, I had my rear axle rebuild to a 3:73.1 SG. Wanting to road trip the car my calculations required a 28" tall tire with the GV unit giving me a 70 MPH RPM of 2300 with a lockup converter. To fit the 28" tall tires, (275-60-15) on my car required an 8" wide wheel with a custom backspace of 4.125" to get 1/4" sidewall clearance to the springs at the front of the car with no wheel spacers. I had the wheels custom built with that backspace and had them powdercoated to match my 6" wide wheels going in the front of the car. My last road trip after tuning my engine with a A/F wideband was 16.5 MPG at an average speed of 65-70 MPH. RE the GV unit, I am really glad I installed it. I installed the controls in the console of my car and it worked perfectly out of the box with no tweaking at all. I had the driveline custom made at a specialty shop and dynamically balanced. I checked the output/input delta and added a 1.5 degree shim in the axle perches. If I leave the car in autodrive the GV unit wants to engage at the factory default of 45 MPH which is a little too soon for my build combo. I called GV and asked if we could change the shift point up and they offered to send me a chip to change in the controller for $55.00 to change the engage to 55 mph. I declined for now, I will just engage it manually for the time being as I am still breaking in the engine. Hope this made sense and is useful to your needs----------Best regards------------DR----------:)
Are you still using the 4" bolt pattern or did you go to 4.5". Who built your wheels? All im finding for 8" rallys,which look good btw, is 4.612 backspacing. Thanks.

I gave up on the taillight housings and am starting from scratch to get them the way I want them.
I have decided on a color for the firewall fittings and got them painted today, everyting will be clearcoat with hardner.
I polished the trimmer at the vinyl roof line and installed it.
I am starting to install the refurbished dash and worked on it today. I removed the vacume guage in the center and replaced it with a tach. I also did the ampmeter/voltmeter conversion.
Cheers, Rat:cheers:
bctlhousings-jpg.jpg
bcfirewallparts-jpg.jpg
bclesstrimmer-jpg.jpg
bcwithtrimmer-jpg.jpg
bcgaugeconv1-jpg.jpg
bcgaugemod2-jpg.jpg
bcguagemod2-jpg.jpg

View attachment 1714837093

View attachment 1714837094

View attachment 1714837095

View attachment 1714837096

View attachment 1714837097

View attachment 1714837099

View attachment 1714837100
Who did the rechrome of your dash and where did you get the tach and volt meter? Just great!

Below is a sequence of photos of the completion of the Gear Vendors OD install. Included are modifying the crossmember to take the larger tailshaft adaptor. I also show the signal generator connection and the OD unit itself. The rest of the sequence details the control intallation in the console of the car. Hard to see at the end if the console is a lighted rocker switch to allow me to control power to the controller from the console at the touch of a rocker switch.
DR--------------
gva-jpg.jpg
gvb-jpg.jpg
gvc-jpg.jpg
gvd-jpg.jpg
gvf-jpg.jpg
gvg-jpg.jpg

View attachment 1714875962

View attachment 1714875963

View attachment 1714875964

View attachment 1714875965

View attachment 1714875966

View attachment 1714875967

View attachment 1714875968
Is that a larger than normal tail shaft adapter? Why'd you have to drop the tranny down?

To reply to your questions, 1. I changed to 4 1/2" (LBP) wheel bolt spacing. The Mopar Dude in Burlington Kansas built my wheels. 2. Glenn at G-Car did the dash refurbishment. Charger Specialties provide the tachometer and Napa or Summit provided the volt meter. 3. The tailshaft is provided by GV for my transmission and application. The diameter of the actual OD unit required the lowering of the crossmember. They say a little work with a hammer lets you stay stock but I did not want the install the be that tight and If you knew you were going to do that and the car was on a rotisserie you could clearance it with heat and a BMFH. My car was in final assembly and that was not an option for me.

I think I'm gonna use a 7" wheel with a 4.25 back spacing. I'm still running the 7.25. Swapping to a narrowed Dana 60 later. And yes,thanks for your post. Very informative.

I bought 87 chrysler fifth ave stock steelies out of the boneyard 15x7 4&1/2" BBP circle. Ran me $8 per wheel.

I bought 87 chrysler fifth ave stock steelies out of the boneyard 15x7 4&1/2" BBP circle. Ran me $8 per wheel.
I'd like to stick with the rallys,but thanks. The steeliness would look good wit the cop or dog dish style caps.

To reply to your questions, 1. I changed to 4 1/2" (LBP) wheel bolt spacing. The Mopar Dude in Burlington Kansas built my wheels. 2. Glenn at G-Car did the dash refurbishment. Charger Specialties provide the tachometer and Napa or Summit provided the volt meter. 3. The tailshaft is provided by GV for my transmission and application. The diameter of the actual OD unit required the lowering of the crossmember. They say a little work with a hammer lets you stay stock but I did not want the install the be that tight and If you knew you were going to do that and the car was on a rotisserie you could clearance it with heat and a BMFH. My car was in final assembly and that was not an option for me.
To keep your console shifter,, did you have to modify you transmission mount bracket or did the gearvendors extension housing have the mounting holes for it? Looks great and stock/ custom appearing.

To keep your console shifter,, did you have to modify you transmission mount bracket or did the gearvendors extension housing have the mounting holes for it? Looks great and stock/ custom appearing.
The Gearvendors unit had all the mounts cast in for mounting the stock console shifting mechanism. I used Lokar throttle and kickdown cables but that was more a function of the carburetor than the transmission.

Well the Wagner install completes my engine bay with the exception of the Optima battery and hold down. Below are three photos of the completed install. Next up is installing my pinion angle shims to correct for the Gearvendors install and once that is done, I will start road testing the entire car.

View attachment 1715024089

View attachment 1715024091

View attachment 1715024093
Very very nice! 904 or 727 tranny? Opps, never mind. I guess I should read more. GV told me their casting didn't have the shifter mount. Guess the salesman was wrong. Now I need a recipe for a 904 that'll live behind a 408 stroker..

Last edited:
-
Back