Dougs 67 Notch build

-
Changing the grille, I wanted amber park lamp lenses so I ordered new ones. They were clear so my paint guy mixed me up some translucent paint and I already had the clear I needed to I changed the color of the grille and parking lamps. They are shown below.

Parklamps1.jpg

Parklamps2.jpg

Parklamps3.jpg

Final installment for a while, a shot of the fender with my way of badging it and a shot of the front of the car. It was a loooooong weekend to get it to this stage and I am taking a few days off. I will hit it hard between thanksgiving and Christmas though.
Thanks for looking and cheers to all---------------------DR--------------------:)

Fender1.jpg

FinalAssy1.jpg

My steering wheel is shot so I bought a 68 unit from a member some time back. It was undamaged but needed refinishing so I sanded it out, painted it with base-clear and polished it out. Polished the bright work and it is ready to go back on the car now.

SWparts1.jpg

SWparts2.jpg

Below are a couple before and after photos of the splash guard install, thanks to members who enlightened me as to their use and location.

Splasguardbefore.jpg

Splashguardafter.jpg

And here is the front of the car finished with the detailed grille and lights. Now the hard work comes as I have to re-gap both doors to the front fenders and the hood to the cowl. Gapping the doors is a MF as anyone who has done it can attest to and I am not looking forward to it!

Modgrille1.jpg

Modgrille2.jpg

Did I miss something? Why do you have to go back and reset the door, and hood gaps?

Did I miss something? Why do you have to go back and reset the door, and hood gaps?
I built the car from the back forward. I installed the doors and gapped them as good as I could but the fenders gap to the cowl which is fixed to the body. Now the doors are too low and need to be raised and the hood had to be centered in the available space between the fenders and the cowl and the front fascia. The hood will be easy but the doors require accessing blind bolts inside the front door jamb while hoping your helper gets the needed move correct-strictly trial and error. Tricky on a cut & buffed car to be charitable. For my build it is the next move and I cannot move forward until it is done. I guess I am just being a bit whiney today. Time to go snowmobiling:)
Cheers---------------DR-------------------:)

This weekend was a good one for production. A friend came over and helped me re-gap the doors and all the gaps are now acceptable. One on the left side is not quite right but the rest of them are pretty good. Today I gave the electrical system another hot test, for the first time trying all the lights. The headlights high/low, turn signals and brake/taillights all worked out of the box. The previous tests proved up the rest of the system. Still have to verify the radio but that is the last thing. I am moving on to installing the interior, starting with the back side panel trim and rear seats. Then the new E-body front buckets and 3 point seat belts and lastly will be the steering wheel. By then my new wheels will be ready for rubber and it will be off for alignment. Should get a lot done over the holidays between family frivolities. Below is a photo of the car with the latest progress which is hard to see. Will post progress photos of the interior install as it happens. Cheers and merry Christmas to all-------------------DR-------------------:)

BC12-20.jpg

This weekend was a good one for production. A friend came over and helped me re-gap the doors and all the gaps are now acceptable. One on the left side is not quite right but the rest of them are pretty good. Today I gave the electrical system another hot test, for the first time trying all the lights. The headlights high/low, turn signals and brake/taillights all worked out of the box. The previous tests proved up the rest of the system. Still have to verify the radio but that is the last thing. I am moving on to installing the interior, starting with the back side panel trim and rear seats. Then the new E-body front buckets and 3 point seat belts and lastly will be the steering wheel. By then my new wheels will be ready for rubber and it will be off for alignment. Should get a lot done over the holidays between family frivolities. Below is a photo of the car with the latest progress which is hard to see. Will post progress photos of the interior install as it happens. Cheers and merry Christmas to all-------------------DR-------------------:)

View attachment 1714999356
looks kick a$$

I just read through your build. REALLY nice work especially considering you're doing it nearly all by yourself. Almost complete!!

Thanks for the kind words folks! My dream is rapidly coming to fruition and it has been a true labor of love!
Merry Christmas to all my Mopar brothers and sisters:)

Well I have new progress to show. It is time to install the interior and part of that is remodeling in 3PT seatbelts and 72 E-body bucket seats. After installing the rear seat back and bottom, I had to pull the newly installed headliner back at the upper 3 PT seatbelt attachment points. Then I had to add 7/16-20 NF backing nuts for the upper attachment and reinstall the headliner. Then I had to drill and tap a new lower attachment point for the fixed belt. (the retractor installed in the factory SB attachment points on both sides of the seats) After remodeling the 67 seat tracks onto the 72 seats I trial fitted everything to make sure there are no conflicts. The photos below show the result but not the pain and grief involved in accomplishing said work. Thanks for looking------------------DR-----------------:)

SBtools.JPG

SBUpper.JPG

SBupper2.JPG

SBinstalled.JPG

SBmockupseat.JPG

My car is getting close. Below are some photos of the completed interior. The seats are 72 E-body, the steering wheel is a 68 that I refinished, The seatbelts are aftermarket and the dash is refurbished and polished. Next I have some underhood rubber to install, the wipers and washers and new plug wires loomed up like some of the nice ones I have seen. Today I will install the center inserts in my Rally wheels as it is close to time for tires and alignment. Cheers to all and thanks for looking.

Interior1.JPG

Interior2.JPG

Interior3.JPG

Interior4.JPG

Below are a couple photos of my Wagner PCV valve install. Because my valve covers are so shallow to the baffle, I gutted and trimmed a stock NAPA PCV valve as the point of withdrawal for the vacuum. Then I mounted the Wagner valve right on the Morose oil separator and tuned everything per instructions. I already noticed a difference-can't wait to start driving it.

Wagnerinst1.JPG

Wagnerinst2.JPG

Well the Wagner install completes my engine bay with the exception of the Optima battery and hold down. Below are three photos of the completed install. Next up is installing my pinion angle shims to correct for the Gearvendors install and once that is done, I will start road testing the entire car.

EBcomp1.JPG

EBcomp2.JPG

EBcomp3.JPG

Man that engine bay looks good enough to eat off of! What did have to do to your inner roof to hang the shoulder belt mount, weld a plate and nut?

Well the Wagner install completes my engine bay with the exception of the Optima battery and hold down. Below are three photos of the completed install. Next up is installing my pinion angle shims to correct for the Gearvendors install and once that is done, I will start road testing the entire car.

View attachment 1715024089

View attachment 1715024091

View attachment 1715024093
Looks great! nice job. Tell me about the driveshaft length w/ the gear venders o.d., how long is the d.s. , and how bad does it change the pinion angle by shortening it so much? Wonder if they have a short tail shaft and housing to alleviate that problem.

Man that engine bay looks good enough to eat off of! What did have to do to your inner roof to hang the shoulder belt mount, weld a plate and nut?
Yes Scott, I pulled the headliner back, put a 1/2-20 nut & washer behind the factory plate and was lucky enough to get it tightened up after bending up one of my end wrenches. But it was definitely worth the work!
Looks great! nice job. Tell me about the driveshaft length w/ the gear venders o.d., how long is the d.s. , and how bad does it change the pinion angle by shortening it so much? Wonder if they have a short tail shaft and housing to alleviate that problem.
Bob: The GV comes with a new front yoke and I took my stock DL and the new yoke to a specialty shop and gave them the overall length I needed the driveline built. This was based on the GV requirement of yoke spline penetration into the tailshaft and distance to the pinion yoke. The shop dynamic balanced the DL and I installed in on the car. To my knowledge the tailshaft for the 904 is what you get-no choices. The actual change in angle came by the need to lower my transmission crossmember 1" to accommodate the GV unit.

So I did it! Posed the question hood pins or not on a 67 and the feedback was "do it" Not being socially aware enough to know if it was sarcasm or not, here is a photo of the install, for the record, I am glad I did it--------------:)

hoodpins.jpg

So I did it! Posed the question hood pins or not on a 67 and the feedback was "do it" Not being socially aware enough to know if it was sarcasm or not, here is a photo of the install, for the record, I am glad I did it--------------:)

View attachment 1715027483

I like the hood pins! Disclaimer, I did it to my Cuda hood 40 years ago so it is possible I have some bias...

-
Back