Doug's headers and mini-starters

-
FWIW up up and away. Followed Andy F's lead and lifted the k-frame/engine/trans assembly up using my cherry picker. I had to spend one evening getting the transmission aligned with the mount, so I ended up in a battle to loosen then retighten all the motor mount bolts. It's exactly that kind of stuff that led me to go with the k-frame install, but you can't have it all.

The headers don't touch the steering box now either. I don't think they could've fit any tighter :thumbsup:
View attachment 1716235497
There's a 1/4" stack of shims under the driver's side biscuit to try to level it out. Will check with a level once the car's back on it's tires

If you're using biscuit mounts, the 69 - 318 van mounts are a little thicker than the car, and you could use those insteada washers . . . or not.
Good job .

FWIW up up and away. Followed Andy F's lead and lifted the k-frame/engine/trans assembly up using my cherry picker. I had to spend one evening getting the transmission aligned with the mount, so I ended up in a battle to loosen then retighten all the motor mount bolts. It's exactly that kind of stuff that led me to go with the k-frame install, but you can't have it all.

The headers don't touch the steering box now either. I don't think they could've fit any tighter :thumbsup:
View attachment 1716235497
There's a 1/4" stack of shims under the driver's side biscuit to try to level it out. Will check with a level once the car's back on it's tires
I didn't wait - put a 2' level across the valve covers and a 4' level across the inner fenders - one is as level as the other one so I'm calling it good to go.

the only thing similar between those headers and mine is the welded on tag and that they're headers. LOL.

I've got room for the column, don't foresee a problem there, but now I'm into a hassle over the power steering hose. It just won't fit. It's not a 71 pump but I thought a hose for a 71 with a Saginaw pump would do the trick, but no. I think my Saginaw pump is different. It's one of the squared off ones that I think of as being a GM part but it came on the 360.

View attachment 1716229208

The car had a Federal pump on it to begin with. That hose might work, I haven't tried it yet.

call pete at Home - Bergman Auto Craft - Home of Quality Muscle Car Parts he has a hose kit specifically for that...

The fun never stops. With the spacer under the motor mount, the header's in the way of the torsion bar. Without the spacer, the header lays right against the torsion bar (one tube on each side), but the bar goes in the socket like it should, so it's a matter of "barely touching". I think I'm caught in the grip of normal manufacturing tolerances ... and I'm not inclined to take the headers off to dent them over this contact.

The fun never stops. With the spacer under the motor mount, the header's in the way of the torsion bar. Without the spacer, the header lays right against the torsion bar (one tube on each side), but the bar goes in the socket like it should, so it's a matter of "barely touching". I think I'm caught in the grip of normal manufacturing tolerances ... and I'm not inclined to take the headers off to dent them over this contact.

Hence the ratchet strap .

But first I encourage you put everything on.
Everytime you install something, you seem to need to adjust.
Put it all in, and adjust once ,maybe twice.
I usually install headers very last,
I often find something simple like shifting the trans mount over/up a tad, gains the nec clearance I needed everywhere.
jmo

Last edited:
Hence the ratchet strap
I had forgotten about the ratchet strap. :thumbsup:

But first I encourage you put everything on.
The problem I keep running into is I have to make adjustments to install things, and then adjust them again for the next thing. :BangHead: :)

My next stop is the transmission forum, because when I screwed the new pivot ball stud iat the frame rail, the ball studs aren't aligned. The engine side seems to be about 1" or more too far forward.

-
Back