Dr Anti-sieze got me....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Pulling the front suspension from the 68 B'cuda. UCA bolts popped right out with plenty of evidence that the prior owner anti-siezed the crap out of them. Well, he must have anti-siezed the LCA bolts where they go thru the K frame well. Dang nuts won't come off. All they do is spin the LCA pins. So much so, you can hear the inner sleeve of the bushing spinning in the rubber.
Suggestions?

I don't really know, but would putting a jack under the arm, attempting to create friction between shaft and bushing . .
Impact wrench .
Spitballing here . .
Good luck .

Pulling the front suspension from the 68 B'cuda. UCA bolts popped right out with plenty of evidence that the prior owner anti-siezed the crap out of them. Well, he must have anti-siezed the LCA bolts where they go thru the K frame well. Dang nuts won't come off. All they do is spin the LCA pins. So much so, you can hear the inner sleeve of the bushing spinning in the rubber.
Suggestions?
I've been able to slip visegrips in the open area to grab the pin.

Wont the arm side off the pin toward the rear of the car? Drill out the bushing if needed. Got the torsion bars out right? Aint nothin holding em in except the rubber right?

1670359957137.png

1670360441865.jpeg

Last edited:
Put the weight of the car on the tires and remove the LCA nuts.

Was gonna push the torsion bar back with the lower control arm, then pull the control arm off the end. Always done it that way. Bass-ackwards? Maybe.

If it spins like that the bushing is already toast? Like Rick70 said in reply 4, there's just enough room for channel locks, the ones w the angled jaws. That would be the 442's, vs my favorites, the 440's.

Can you just pull the LCA's off the pins, and then hold the pin that will still have the inner sleeve on it with vice grips, then back the nut off the other end? Of course, that's after you slide the torsion bars back.

Get a long pry bar and pry down at an angle on the inside of the LCA and put the LCA pin in a bind. Then hit the nut with an impact.

Any chance you have poly lower control arm bushings? They don't hold the pin like rubber.

If you can't get some needle nose vice grips on the pin, I'd just pry the control arms to the rear right off the pins. Once the control arm is off and out of the way, you can vice grip the pin and then remove the nut.

torch the bushings and slide the arms off . Then you can clamp the spindle with vice grips.

Just a quick update to say I have not gotten back to this yet. Had to do a steering gear on my truck, went and picked up a 73 Dart Sport for my 14 yr old, work and holiday fun have delayed my return.... it's all good,

SUCESS!! For my lunch break today, I went out and simply pried on the LCA between it and the K frame, since the pin was spinning in the bushing. Slid right off and the benefit is the torsion bar is now out as well, as I could not get it to budge prior. Spent the next 40 minutes removing the remnants of the inner and out sleeves of the old bushing from the LCA pin and the inside of the pivot of the LCA itself. Simply cut a grove in each and split them with a chisel. Next week, I'll pull the other side apart.

-
Back