Duster=1 Civic =0

-

player1up

Reaction score
So last night on the way home it finally happened. A honda civic's diver wasn't paying attention and when I slowed down because the car in front of me had turned on it's blinker to turn....BAM!
The goofy thing is that the car in front of me didn't even turn, they continued on and didn't turn :lol:
So I get out to see the whole front of the civic crushed in, hood buckled up to the windshield, fenders folded back, and the radiator core support is pushed back to the engine....So I'm thinking that the bomber is pretty well crushed as well...not so much :)
There is some floor damage in the trunk, bumper was pushed into the quarters, the trunk lid doesn't seem to close right anymore, the exhaust was creased closed and pushed up into the suspension, but no one got hurt, thank God ( I did check on her first even before inspecting the damage )
So, 5 years of daily driving before an accident...
Anyway, I'll post up some photos when I can.

Be safe out there guys and spread the word......hang up and drive...

yeah, it's the one in my avatar....it's bearable, but still sucks...we'll see if that changes when the insurance adjuster comes out on Monday. At least I can still drive to work, not so of the civic
One of the other things that sucks is that the soda I had in the center console exploded all over the interior...I've got some cleaning to do...

(heavy sigh),....Then there's the down time while it gets fixed,....I feel you, I won't have the Caliber back till late Jan,.....

Gla to hear everyone is ok. Sorry about your Duster

Be safe out there guys and spread the word......hang up and drive...

I have been calling people out for driving and talking/texting for years now and have almost gotten in many road rage fights for telling them to "Hang up and Drive!" Even though they are holding up traffic and don't even notice because they are not paying attention. I even saw a guy almost get hit from a semi changing lanes and he had no clue that him and his son almost got crushed! Then he thinks I'm the idiot for telling him to hang up and drive.

My grandpa used to have a saying in the seventies:

"Wake up and die right"

It still applies today as there are alot more clueless people now...

That is a total bummer about your car. I'm very glad that no one got hurt. I hope it gets back to as good or "better than" before.

From the avatar it looks very similar to mine. I would like to see some more detailed pics of the paint. It appears to be a beautiful car. "I may be biased though" :)

Don't you know thou, these newer cars are safer in a crash, ha ha

The steel is cheap and thin but they are design to crush, what bull. Cars have been made to crush in wrecks since the 60'-70's, it was the 50's cars that had no crunch zones

Motor Tend had a big story in Feb 1972 about seat belts vs air bags. They showed 15 bad wrecks were folks wore the safety belts and pretty much walked away from the wreck. They went on to say these air bags are the biggest bull safety wise yet. That air bags will throw you out from the car in a wreck. Well now its 40 years later and what happens, people are thrown out from their cars-suv's in wrecks everyday.

I drive air bag cars, yeah but I also share the car with others. If it was my car which nobody else ever drove, those air bags would go right in the trashcan. If I want safety, I would use a helmet--like the police used to in the 60'--70's. I knew this jerk cop back in high school in the late 70's, he used to brag all the time when kids laughed at his helmet how he totaled out 9 police cars so far and was always back on the road within 2 weeks.

Those were the days

Maybe what will make it better is if you have pics of the other car, you can post those and we can laugh at another dumb import getting smashed up. :D

What really helps is a trailer hitch ball, stuck out real long. So far, on 3 trucks, I have gotten bumper scratches, while they tow the other car off.

Not sure how well these come out, I took some pictures of the Motor Trend stroy from 1972. Yeah, 54,000 people used to die in crashes each years back then but there was fewer traffic lights and lights used to stay green for 40 seconds and red for 20--30 seconds. Traffic speeds on the secondary roads were faster and more drunk drivers were on the roads in 1972, drunk used to be .15, today its .08 !!

Attachments

• wrecks 008 (800x600).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 208
  • wrecks 017 (800x600).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 206
  • wrecks 016 (800x600).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 222
  • wrecks 015 (800x600).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 198
  • wrecks 014 (800x600).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 195
  • wrecks 013 (800x600).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 210
  • wrecks 012 (800x600).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 213
  • wrecks 011 (800x600).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 213
  • wrecks 010 (800x600).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 220
  • wrecks 009 (800x600).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 218
Player1up, that sucks about your Duster! I hope their insurance pays what's right.....

dodgefreak, thanks for the excellent post - cool info!

always wondered what a heavy muscle car would do to those plastic cars today.. didnt they crash a charger against a prius in a test?

and sorry to hear but could have ben worse

Hmmm, not bad for a $80 cameras

If these new air bag cars are so safe lets see the pictures ! Lets see pictures of the cars all smashed up--like those 40 year old cars were and how the people inside were not killed..they aren't showing them cause they can not.

Air bags disable the car after the first impact to prevent the car from being used as a ram. Air bags kill, plain and simple, why we are now "drunk" at .08

Why we have to wait 1 min at each red light and creep away from the intersection. As soon as traffic gets moving quickly, the light turns red again. Speeds are way down on the side roads, why death rates have been going down. Its easier then ever to lose your driver license also.

Oh well, what can we do, most the folks who knew how strong-safe those cars were are dead now. Today the dream is to have some $50,000 tin can car with gps and 20 air bags

Ok first of all thanks for all of the good wishes and a really cool article.

These are the crappy cell phone pics.
So the fist pic is the civic...I've cut the "driver" out because I wouldn't want ppl posting pics of me, no matter how distorted it was. What you can't tell from the pic is that the front fenders are pealed back at the top and the radiator support is so smooshed that upper rad hose was smashed flat... I drove by there today and ya know, there is something missing from the scene.....there are no skid marks.....hmmmView attachment IMG00097-20120114-1743 (Small)_public.jpg

This is the "bomber" lol not too bad. as you can see, I had to remove part of the exhaust so I could drive home...the thing was so flat I wasn't sure the car was running HAHAHA. All of the lights still work too!! even the tag light and the backup camera!! It could have been WAYYY worse...
View attachment IMG00096-20120114-1743_public (Small).JPG

now it's not traumatic at all, but the spare tire well is crushed at the back as well and the paint on the quarters by the bumper is cracked...but as you can see...the "safe" civic is done. I was just about to offer to drive her home :lol: but she decided to drive the thing home...literally about 1/2 mile...

All in all I'm in pretty good spirits concidering what happened...at least til the adjuster tries to give me $200...:banghead:
course now I have to worry about body work instead of tuning the turbo...:wack:

-
Back