EBAY rant

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
What the heck happened to ebay? I haven't been on it for a long time but no matter what I search for there are ten times as many non-relevant listings as listings for what I am looking for. Seems like any little piece of crap listed "fits 1966 Barracuda". What a waste of my time resources.:violent1:

Yes, I agree. Now all your saved searches are showing up on the main page too. They took away the wild card search also. I always click the link "tell us what you think" and give them a peice of my mind about their so called improvements.... Oh well they are saving me money because I deleted all my saved searches.

They sent me a direct survey a couple days ago and I let them have it then too.

Been trying to look for Megasquirt stuff. A simple search with that word returns nearly 8000 hits of garbage.

do advance search...refine your search to exact words

I trip on how they have 300 listings for the same item, like say turbo boost gauge......and many of them are from the same seller. Mostly the rice-mobile made-in-China type junk, which I'm not interested in.

I trip on how they have 300 listings for the same item, like say turbo boost gauge......and many of them are from the same seller. Mostly the rice-mobile made-in-China type junk, which I'm not interested in.

My thoughts EXACTLY! Like a company selling "racing seats" can list 50 of the same part, same picture?

What the heck happened to ebay? I haven't been on it for a long time but no matter what I search for there are ten times as many non-relevant listings as listings for what I am looking for. Seems like any little piece of crap listed "fits 1966 Barracuda". What a waste of my time resources.:violent1:

x2

do advance search...refine your search to exact words

I know exactly how to do refined searches, and it no longer works. In my Megasquirt example, you have to find a key word that does not limit "wanted" returns against those you want to eliminate. Worse, some sellers have seemingly learned to setup HTML in such a way that the search "negative" won't remove the listing. I'm not sure I understand how that works, unless it's a fault of ebay.

I know exactly how to do refined searches, and it no longer works. In my Megasquirt example, you have to find a key word that does not limit "wanted" returns against those you want to eliminate. Worse, some sellers have seemingly learned to setup HTML in such a way that the search "negative" won't remove the listing. I'm not sure I understand how that works, unless it's a fault of ebay.

Try this for Megasquirt and it gives you 66 items.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...TR0.TRC0&_nkw=(Megasquirt)&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I just do just Advance Searches now...

I got tired of typing in 1969 Dodge Dart Convertible and getting 100's of tin signs by attitudecars1972 and a bunch of stupid neon clocks from Retro Fat cluttering what I was looking for.

Ill occ REPORT ITEM: Listing Practices- Search and Browse Manipulation
but doubt it does any good.

Ebay just doesnt give a crap anymore

-fits works for me 90%.

Remember ebay makes their money from sellers.

-Remember ebay makes their money from sellers.

Sorry, nope, wrong, in----correcto

Ebay makes their money after the seller has sold something...................

AND COLLECTED from the buyer, "me." If you piss me off enough, and I'm pretty damn pissed, I won't be a'lookin' there much anymore, and I don't

"Me" in this case is of course a figurative descriptor of all the people who are tired of the BS

Sorry, nope, wrong, in----correcto

Ebay makes their money after the seller has sold something...................

AND COLLECTED from the buyer, "me." If you piss me off enough, and I'm pretty damn pissed, I won't be a'lookin' there much anymore, and I don't

"Me" in this case is of course a figurative descriptor of all the people who are tired of the BS

RIGHT! My Hemi didn't sell. Cost me almost 50 bucks. Then, they want me to relist it talkin about I can do it for free. Hell if it didn't sell, why should they get any money? I'm not selling on ebay anymore. Almost to the point of not buying either. I would rather my money Stay in the Georgia tax base and do business with Summit. Ebay sucks gangreen infested balls.

I ran into a listed item for sale on ebay with the buy it now feature. So i bought it now as it was exactly what i wanted. I get a messege later telling me they do not have the item in stock.
Why the hell did they have the item listed if they don't have the item in their hand?

I stand by my statement.

Ebay makes it's money from sellers.

Therefore, any policies that favor buyers are in place only to prevent rampant and wanton abuse of those buyers to the point that it affects ebay's profit.

Solution: Don't go there any more. I don't. It's very simple. :dontknow:

The problem is that often if you want something that's "a little hard to find" that might be the only place. Craigslist is no better to find stuff, because "Craig" has "gone out of his way" to stifle 3rd party search engines that try to turn CL into a wider based usefulness.

And of course if you search Google, quite often the results you get are.............Edambay

The solution is not to not go there. The solution is to *****, raise hell, and be a PITA until Efreekinbay changes things so it's useful again. It USED to be!!! I don't know exactly when this changed, but about the time all the flash and razzle dazzle came along.

I've been building and restoring cars, and other things long before the internet, and certainly eBay existed. Started my first build in 1965. Old school is certainly slower and more time consuming, but, I also find that it is more accurate, and, most times, cheaper.

That said, I do use the internet now to find stuff, but I rarely, if ever buy anything from eBay, or Craigslist any more. In fact it's been 11 years since I purchased anything from eBay, and except for a bass guitar being sold locally on CL, have not purchased anything from there in 4 years.

Salvage/scrap yards, friends, Hemmings, swap meets, etc. still work fine. I haven't been in a position where I "have to have it, now", because this is a hobby, not an occupation. My first real resto took me 12 years, and I enjoyed every minutes of it. The search, the discovery, the disassembly, the clean up and the search for parts and the rebuild.
Did everything myself except the machining of the engine, and the finish paint. In some cases I spent months looking for a particular part. But, I found it, with no internet. IT still works if you're willing to invest the time. That's a decision each of us have to make for ourselves.
...oh, and one other thing, the old school way there are only two people bidding on the part, or the car, that would be the buyer and the seller. ;)

EB and CL are both simply tools.

The outcome of their use is dependant on the operator(s).

I shop on eBay with good results because things I need just aren't floating around in my area.

For instance I needed a transmission channel plate for a 2002 Taurus, I located a matching casting number part in 15 minutes and it will arrive at my house Monday for $75.00 shipped. I could have spent a week and $200 in fuel driving around looking for it and still not found it.

I haven't sold since 2002 but I am going to have to think about it just to move some things there is no market for in my area.

What kills me is all of the listings for brake "PADS" that fit my 1964 dart. like that was an actual option.

you have to be pretty good with the "-" a lot of times this will weed out the stuff that people say fits every car.

DO an advance search, -still not effective stopping a stream of cheap, new, gimic listings

Don't use it.- Sounds great, but we are in a hobby of satisfaction-build and drive, not search and build. Not all makes & models have an aftermarket-somethings we need used.

EBay was the first effective internet flea market- craigslist is only good if you can drive to what you buy, is cheap, or you just roll the dice on whether someone will be honorable enough to send you the part/car/etc. other sites are not always mainsteam enough to find the part you need. In some parts of the country, the car culture that we share, doesn't have a 'get together' club that you can find parts at-not for all makes...

Agree FTMP.

I have advanced searches saved, and the ones that I did a while ago, I simply type the "- fits" in the bar at the top.

Sometimes I like to see what fits, because a 1966 Coronet fender "fits" a 66 or 67 Charger as well.

-
Back