Eddy heads on 416 stroker question

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Performer RPM aluminum heads to mate up to the Performer RPM air gap and Holly 750 carb for our (340) 416 stroker we are building. We have a Lunati flat tappet hydraulic valvetrain. VoooooDooooo 60404 276/284, 513/533, Icon 21cc dish forged pistons. I got the heads complete with springs. My question is what would be a good set of rocker arms to complete the top end with what I have. Should I go with the shaft style mopar or has anyone used the chevy mount style rockers and what is the advantages? Thanks

I've had eddy heads since they came out. My stroker has been in the car since 2003. My choice is comp cams pro magnum. I had a multitude of issues with crane golds.

Please check the push rod head clearence before assembly.I didnt and had to remove heads and clearance for push rods rubbing,Kevin.

I'm running the same heads ( except ported by Indy), and the same exact cam you have, and I use the Harland-sharp rockers, and an M1 single plane intake, all on a basicly stock (69') 340 bottom end. For a short time before I bought the Harland- sharps, I used a set of old 273 adjustable rockers and they worked fine as well.

A couple notes - the springs on the heads are not strong enough for that camshaft - your shop should check the pressures and compare to the Lunati recommended spring. They should be replaced. Also - it was mentioned about the pushrod holes - they shoul be elongated to allow for the clearance. Lastly - if they didn't check the guide clearance on the heads - they should...

I run Comp Cams Pro Magnum steel rocker arms with Hughs Hold Down Kit. I bought the hold down kit from Mancini Racing. I had to upgrade my springs and also upgraded to 10 degree retainers and locks. Make sure you run a steel shim under those springs or the spring will dig into the head. I also had to egg out the push rod holes. You should have a shop go over the valve job and fine tune the valve guide clearance. These heads are mass produced with cost containment a priority so have a good shop look them over.

In addition to the above, I myself would look at a 1.6 ratio rocker. Get that valve into the high flow area of the head as quick and as much as possible to reap the most benefits from the heads abilities.

I am putting a set of Hughes rockers on my new eddy heads. They look pretty good.

Yeah, make sure the springs are compatible with the cam and the clearances are all good. The Hughes website has some pretty good tech articles about installing rockers and checking geometry.

[ame]http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/RockerBundleJuly2012.pdf[/ame]

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/5rockerarmsgeometry.php

the only way you can go to a "chevy style rocker" would be if you bought magnum style heads, if you have the LA style head you have to use rocker shafts.
i have these heads and they work nice, i have crane golds on mine and never had a bit of issue.
I would definently take them apart and inspect them, when i got my heads we found 3 metal chips on the 3 different valve seats, probably wouldnt have hurt anything but still nice to check it all out.
the springs on those heads are fine for your cam unless you go to a roller.
the only other to do for some extra snap is cut the heads down a bit, because with your dish pistons our only gonna be around 9:1, with aluminum heads 10:1 or even 10.5 is fine on pump gas and it wont hurt milage a bit.
enjoy your new stroker, they are alot of fun!

i know alot of fellows on here dont like indy rockers but they work fine in my case and they stay adjusted really well

I just ordered a set of Performer RPM aluminum heads to mate up to the Performer RPM air gap and Holly 750 carb for our (340) 416 stroker we are building. We have a Lunati flat tappet hydraulic valvetrain. VoooooDooooo 60404 276/284, 513/533, Icon 21cc dish forged pistons. I got the heads complete with springs. My question is what would be a good set of rocker arms to complete the top end with what I have. Should I go with the shaft style mopar or has anyone used the chevy mount style rockers and what is the advantages? Thanks

Your question is double sided. You say you bought the heads and then ask if you should run a Chevy Style Rocker or Shaft Mount. That decision should have been made at the purchase because the heads are totally different to run one or the other style rocker gear. The LA or Shaft mount is superior to the Chevy style "Magnum Head" set up and I believe most would agree with my statement. Cracked asked a good question. You did order the closed chamber versions right?? Can you Post up your part number.

Your question is double sided. You say you bought the heads and then ask if you should run a Chevy Style Rocker or Shaft Mount. That decision should have been made at the purchase because the heads are totally different to run one or the other style rocker gear. The LA or Shaft mount is superior to the Chevy style "Magnum Head" set up and I believe most would agree with my statement. Cracked asked a good question. You did order the closed chamber versions right?? Can you Post up your part number.

The rocker choice is a matter of opinion as I see it. The shaft style is mopar but when purchasing rockers raises the prices. I went magnum for the reason of having more options with rockers and paying less as well. But neither is going to effect Hp or anything like that. The styles are picked by comfortability and personal opinion. I had no issue setting up my magnum, but Mad Dart didn't like his. Choose whichever you feel. :burnout:

The rocker choice is a matter of opinion as I see it. The shaft style is mopar but when purchasing rockers raises the prices. I went magnum for the reason of having more options with rockers and paying less as well. But neither is going to effect Hp or anything like that. The styles are picked by comfortability and personal opinion. I had no issue setting up my magnum, but Mad Dart didn't like his. Choose whichever you feel. :burnout:

My opinion is that the Magnum Style set up is WEAK and I would never use it to be totally honest. I went that route before and could never get the sweep on the valve to be correct not to mention Valve Train Stability issues with the Magnum Stlye 'Chevy" Rocker gear. With bigger camshafts and high spring pressures guys have RIPPED the studs right out of the head that hold the Rocker in place. With the Shaft style not so. No need for pushrod guides or girdles etc when using the shaft mount. If and this is only IF I had to use the magnum style rockers I would use these......

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...a2VyIEFybXMgJiBBY2Nlc3Nvcmllcw==&partid=25628

or regular magnum style and these with guide plates.....

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...a2VyIEFybXMgJiBBY2Nlc3Nvcmllcw==&partid=24154

My opinion is that the Magnum Style set up is WEAK and I would never use it to be totally honest. I went that route before and could never get the sweep on the valve to be correct not to mention Valve Train Stability issues with the Magnum Stlye 'Chevy" Rocker gear. With bigger camshafts and high spring pressures guys have RIPPED the studs right out of the head that hold the Rocker in place. With the Shaft style not so. No need for pushrod guides or girdles etc when using the shaft mount. If and this is only IF I had to use the magnum style rockers I would use these......

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...a2VyIEFybXMgJiBBY2Nlc3Nvcmllcw==&partid=25628

or regular magnum style and these with guide plates.....

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...a2VyIEFybXMgJiBBY2Nlc3Nvcmllcw==&partid=24154

Your claims seem to be a little biased....
1. You don't need guides or girdles when using self alining rockers I believe.
2. I haven't heard of anyones rockers ripping off, nor do I see guys with magnum heads and roller cams complaining or even chevy ford guys.
3. I have had no issues with measuring for pushrods.
4. I am just saying each has their own opinion and experiences, choose what you feel comfortable using.
5. Benefit of the RHS heads are they make closed chambered heads with both styles, I don't know if it's like that for Eddies.
6. Using the example of big camshafts and ripping the rockers out (even if true) shouldn't effect his decision if he isn't even going close to your definition of a "bigger camshaft".

Also I am not experienced as most in here, but I do have a better experience with the magnum stuff.

Your claims seem to be a little biased....
1. You don't need guides or girdles when using self alining rockers I believe.
2. I haven't heard of anyones rockers ripping off, nor do I see guys with magnum heads and roller cams complaining or even chevy ford guys.
3. I have had no issues with measuring for pushrods.
4. I am just saying each has their own opinion and experiences, choose what you feel comfortable using.
5. Benefit of the RHS heads are they make closed chambered heads with both styles, I don't know if it's like that for Eddies.
6. Using the example of big camshafts and ripping the rockers out (even if true) shouldn't effect his decision if he isn't even going close to your definition of a "bigger camshaft".

Also I am not experienced as most in here, but I do have a better experience with the magnum stuff.

Yes I am Biased and Rightly so.....Sorry you don't like my answers but it is what it is. You on a binge drinking again?

Yes I am Biased and Rightly so.....Sorry you don't like my answers but it is what it is. You on a binge drinking again?

haha no...Im not saying I don't like your answers or that they are not true. I am just saying that I haven't had problems with the magnum style rockers that's all. We all know what you do with your engines and you have more experience than me. I am just putting my experience out there as I did with the crosswind intake when I had it. :glasses7:

Edelbrock 60179 heads. Comp Ultra-Pro rockers which includes the shafts. I hope these are the correct ones as they are on the way here already.

Edelbrock's website says the valve springs are good up to .575" lift.

What have you guys measured the valve springs out of a fresh set of heads?

With that cam and 4" stroker, what is his max rpm in the power band?

Edelbrock 60179 heads. Comp Ultra-Pro rockers which includes the shafts. I hope these are the correct ones as they are on the way here already.

Nope. Looks like those are OPEN chambered. 60779 are the closed ones I believe.

And just because a spring can be OPENED to .575 lift DOES NOT mean it has the proper seat, and open pressure for the cam you are using......

-
Back