Eddy heads on 416 stroker question

-
I've used crane golds for the passed 5years on my 340 with no problems. I did have to measure for the right push rods. I'm stepping up to a 408 now using the 60779 eddy heads and gold rockers. My new cam has a little more lift @.550. It's not the lift in question for the springs, it's the open and closed rates. I have a previous thread here somewhere asking the very same thing about the springs. I've got a spring recommendation from Comp that ill be using. I don't think you'll have problems with valve clearance with the icon dish pistons which are the same ones I have in my 408, but should always be checked. I haven't gotten my heads on yet. I just got the new cam degreed last week and still trying to get some parts cleaned up for paint like the timing cover before installing the heads. Weather here in Nebraska has distracted me. Good luck!

And just because a spring can be OPENED to .575 lift DOES NOT mean it has the proper seat, and open pressure for the cam you are using......

I thought the seat and open pressure were listed on the Edelbrock site?? But couldn't find them.

I thought the seat and open pressure were listed on the Edelbrock site?? But couldn't find them.

I tried calling Edelbrock and they are closed until after New Years. I wanted to ask them directly. Looks like I will be returning the heads and getting the 60779 heads. I guess they have a 63 vs a 65 chamber and the say they are cnc matched intake and exhaust and have some hand bowl work done to them. So am I assuming these are the same as what I ordered only with additional machine work to help them flow better?

I tried calling Edelbrock and they are closed until after New Years. I wanted to ask them directly. Looks like I will be returning the heads and getting the 60779 heads. I guess they have a 63 vs a 65 chamber and the say they are cnc matched intake and exhaust and have some hand bowl work done to them. So am I assuming these are the same as what I ordered only with additional machine work to help them flow better?

I thought the only difference is 63 vs 65 cc chamber size.

I thought all the assembled heads come with a little casting flash taken off the end runner near the gasket and some in the bowl.

I thought the only difference is 63 vs 65 cc chamber size.

I thought all the assembled heads come with a little casting flash taken off the end runner near the gasket and some in the bowl.

What then would be the compression ratio increase from 63 to 65? Worth talking about on a street cruiser? I know this car will probably need some slicks to go racing with, which I will probably never do anyway, but I would like it to respond when asked to.

What then would be the compression ratio increase from 63 to 65? Worth talking about on a street cruiser? I know this car will probably need some slicks to go racing with, which I will probably never do anyway, but I would like it to respond when asked to.

You need to list the pistons you have, the dish CC if any, and a measurement of piston to block deck height assembled.

Then the octane of the gas you will use and the cam specs. Then someone can suggest an optimum compression ratio. IIRC, there is a calculation on Wallace that uses cam spec for compression ratio.

I CC'd the 63 cc Ebrock head I used. I don't have that measurement record on me right now.

Send the Edelbrock heads back and get a set of these in the LA Version. More power will be made with less money and they are Ready to Run. Unlike the Edelbrock heads which are known to need a machinist to do surgery on them before you install them to make them operate correctly.

http://immengines.com/rhsheads.html

Send the Edelbrock heads back and get a set of these in the LA Version. More power will be made with less money and they are Ready to Run. Unlike the Edelbrock heads which are known to need a machinist to do surgery on them before you install them to make them operate correctly.

http://immengines.com/rhsheads.html

Agreed. You will get more flow for the same price and for 500 more he can port them for you and get more power. The valve springs that come with these heads are a lot better than the ones that come with those eddies, only thing is these are iron and eddies are aluminum of course.

If you are going to stay with the edelbrock, stop the order on the 60179 and get the 60779 head. Get the quench set right and you are on your way. The ede site does not take into account you building a stroker, which has little or nothing to do with an original design 340.

Aluminum isn't everything, regardless of what some people think. Would you rather have 40-50more hp for 40# of weight? I'd take it every time.

Pick your part, pay your money.

If you are going to stay with the edelbrock, stop the order on the 60179 and get the 60779 head. Get the quench set right and you are on your way. The ede site does not take into account you building a stroker, which has little or nothing to do with an original design 340.

Aluminum isn't everything, regardless of what some people think. Would you rather have 40-50more hp for 40# of weight? I'd take it every time.

Pick your part, pay your money.

I agree. Heads are on the way but they said I can send them back for the 779 heads once I receive them. I hope to call edelbrock and give them all my specs regarding the build. I also wanted to ask about the springs as I already bought a Lunati spring set which I got with the Lunati cam. Maybe I need to have my machinist change the springs over to the Lunati springs, but I will run this by Edelbrock first and see what they have to say. I also wanted to check on the correct head bolts for these heads (arp) and also the gaskets.

I have Edelbrock 60779 heads. I have excellent quench with my pistons!

Edelbrock don't know jack about your combo. Your better off getting info here than asking them. Their information already had you going down the wrong path. The guys here straightened that out pretty darn quick for you.

I too will take the 40-50hp for less dollars. I have a fresh set of the 60779 heads ported that flow 300cfm on my parts shelf for 2 years now and I still have not used them. Eventually I will on something.

Edelbrock don't know jack about your combo. Your better off getting info here than asking them. Their information already had you going down the wrong path. The guys here straightened that out pretty darn quick for you.

I too will take the 40-50hp for less dollars. I have a fresh set of the 60779 heads ported that flow 300cfm on my parts shelf for 2 years now and I still have not used them. Eventually I will on something.

I really never got any info from Edelbrock. I ordered the open chamber version head on my own. My machinist wanted to just install a set of factory 2.02 heads and freshen them up. His idea was to do it on a smaller budget and still give me a nice street car. However, seeing that I had this vision of an engine with the Black Edelbrock Performer Air Gap RPM Nascar Edition intake and a brand new all aluminum Holley 750 with the polished aluminum and the black billet metering blocks and mounting flange I then decided to go with a set of aluminum heads and I just wanted to stay with the Edelbrock heads to match the intake. I have the tig welded Mopar black valve covers and all stainless steel 12 Pt ARP bolts and I plan on leaving the water pump cast aluminum with high temp clearcoat and an aluminum radiator. So while I do want to make some power, I figured if my machinist was going to do a nice stroker cruising car with just stock 2.02 iron heads, what can a lose going to the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. I understand they will run cooler, allow me to bump the compression ratio a bit and still run on regular gas and would cruise the highways in the 60-70MPH range with absolutely no issues and have plenty of get up and go for a street car. So for me it is about looks also. I just messed up on the two choices they offer for a 340 motor. I actually thought I ordered closed chambered heads, so you are right that I got straightened out here by fellow enthusiasts, and I really appreciate that. That is why I became a Gold Member. To help support our hobby.

I was still wondering what the approximate difference is between the 63cc and 65cc heads regarding compression ratio? I know to calculate exact, I would need to do the math of the pistons heads ect, but surely we can get am educated guess. Is it a quarter point or a half point or so miniscule it don't really matter? Seems to be a very small difference.

What pistons are you using, I missed it if you did mention it. I can run the calcs on it and get pretty close with that giving you the difference between 63-65cc heads. Usually the pistons are dish with closed chamber heads when building a stroker motor from -16.9cc to around -20.5cc to keep the compression pump gas friendly. Some do however run flat tops for a more radical build/compression ratio from like 12:1 & up

I am using Scat Icon forged 21cc dish forged, Scat cast stroker crank, Scat 6.123 I beam rods, Lunati VooDoo cam 276/284 .513/.533 Holley 750, TTI stepped headers, 3:55 rear, 18 rear , 17" front. As I said, this is suppose to be a nice street car. I am still working on the TC? I was thinking about something in the 2200 range as I want to just cruise with this car.

You will be between 10 to 10.5:1 using any combination of head 63 or 65cc and a dish piston from -16.9 to -20.5cc on a 4" stroke engine with an off the shelf 040 thick head gasket bore 4.180 and the pistons at zero deck.......

Crackedback can help you with a converter if you ask him. Converters have came a long way, they can be made to cruise nice and flash out of the hole on command to get the best of both worlds that you are looking for.

Get the block cut to zero deck the pistons and then use the Felpro Performance 1008 head gasket which compresses to .039". The difference between the two heads is about building a quench combustion chamber engine vs a non quench engine. Its not the 2 cc difference in combustion chamber volume as much as it is the quench. I think you are gonna end up just under 10:1 compression. I had my eddies milled to 62cc after they were ported. The 63cc heads usually measure out a little higher in volume and once the combustion chambers are ported the volume increases. Returning and ordering the other heads is the way to go.

-
Back