Elec woes, crank, no start after running then parked.

-
What's the IR say here?

1722544156947.png

Factory gauge is for looks only, it's unhooked.
There were a couple of postings a while ago about the validity of the IR readings due to heat soaking in the engine compartment. What leads you to believe that the Autometer temp gauge isn't working? Is your factory gauge still reading Ok?

Looks like my gauge is AFU. Drove car to work and brought my shitty CT gun to compare with a Reed temp gun. Shot them both at intake right by sender. Phewww!

20240803_075012.jpg

Good reason why I do not use IR guns in confined spaces....or where there can be more than source producing heat.

The Reed gun(and my AM gauge) is correct. I also double checked pointing both at the floor. 25* difference there as well. Can Tire gun is junk, or maybe low battery caused it.
Good reason why I do not use IR guns in confined spaces....or where there can be more than source producing heat.

How old is your ignition switch Steve?
I had a very similar no spark issue the other day after a short drive. This is the 3rd time. I tested everything in the shop and all ok. When the no spark issue happened again, I was going to catch a ride home for parts. I didn’t have anything to hot-wire it with. I reached under the dash and wiggled the ignition switch and it started. I haven't pulled it out for testing.

I had same issue that required a tow off highway 401. It was an "oh ****" moment to say the least doing 70 mph and all of a sudden no power and 4 quick lane changes lol. I eventually ended up rewiring my entire dash harness and also discovering several distributor issues.
Good luck, follow a lot of the tests here, and another thread I started back years ago. I'll try to find it for you.
**edit**
Initially way back when issues started my dash harness LOOKED great, but its 50+ years old and the insulation was cracking etc.
I had a very similar no spark issue the other day after a short drive. This is the 3rd time. I tested everything in the shop and all ok. When the no spark issue happened again, I was going to catch a ride home for parts. I didn’t have anything to hot-wire it with. I reached under the dash and wiggled the ignition switch and it started. I haven't pulled it out for testing.

-
Back