Electric fan install help.

-

PhillH

Reaction score
I know the info is here, but I keep finding bits and pieces. Is there a thread that will tell me how to wire the Contour fan up properly? It's goiing in a 71 Scamp with a Champion 22inch. Is there a harness kit I could buy with relays? What gauge wire and relays to use? Should I be taking the relays from the donor Contour? I need some clear instructions to compensate for my lack of experience with wiring. I have not done the AMP gauge mod yet so I'm sure I need to run it to the battery, but that's about it. Thanks.

That's great thank you. It doesn't look like that fan will fit on a 22 inch radiator?

The best advice I can give is don't install an electric fan.

I may just see how the AC works out with the mechanical first before I spend the money. But I think I'll end up needing the more accurate electric setup. Also I'm having issues getting it hot enough on cold days, so it would improve that as well.

I love the setup on my Envoy, it had a mechanical fan for cooling and an electric for the AC, so when one went out you were not stranded. Now I had a BMW 530 at the same time and it had electrics only that went out on the highway and it started overheating even at steady speed, couldn't even drive it. You would not believe how much of that car you have to take apart to get to the fans! My garage looked like a bomb went off and blew the whole front of the car off! Now I know why my Euro mechanic wanted $900 just for labor.

I would only try something like the Contour fasn or something with similarly thick blades. So that thing is still cool? How cool again?

Looks like it's been done by kybatman. Hangs over the side a bit. If you have the open spots on the side, it will still work...doesn't look too awesome to me, but it's totally up to you.

On whether to have a mechanical fan vs electric fan...The electric fan, especially one with two motors is plenty reliable. Considering basically every FWD car has had one forever, and what's the failure rate (I've never touched one or known anyone who did), I'm not sure why you'd be worried about that. I have, however replaced a radiator, fan shroud and timing cover due to a bad fan clutch.

The contour one has bigtime flow. On my car the high speed has NEVER come on, it doesn't even heat up enough for that. If you flip it on manually (I use the A/C trigger), the car cools WAY down very fast. It's also usually never on when I'm moving above 10 mph and therefore robs 0 HP. If the fan was on at high speed and drawing even 40A, which I doubt it does, it would rob less than 2hp. I have yet to see a mechanical fan that can do that. And yes, your A/C will work better.

I think I looked it up right and the fan setup above costs over $300.....but please check up on that... I don't want to mislead anyone.

I think I looked it up right and the fan setup above costs over $300.....but please check up on that... I don't want to mislead anyone.

It would probably approach 300 if you bought all new fans, wiring, connectors, the controller, and fuse. If you got the fan at the junkyard like I did, it's probably right around $200.

It's worlds different than the cheap fans you can buy...and has a great controller.

Naturally you can use coolant switches to turn on the relays and some more creative wiring and not buy the controller and save that cost.

TXDart finally talked me into this swap. I love it!
No issues so far. Junkyard fan and factory pigtails/connectors. Some say OE fans might be better quality than Dorman. I went with a 3 core 26". Had to drill a couple holes and I massaged the lower support, though I might have gotten away without it. Mine was a little damaged by a PO so I didn't mind. Bent not cut. I monted the controller on the firewall above the dimmer switch.
Fans, controller, fuses, bolts, wire, relays, etc. probably put me closer to $300.

It's worlds different than the cheap fans you can buy...and has a great controller.
That part I indeed believe..... electric fans work if done right..... but the advice to use the right fans and shrouds goes unknown/unheeded over an over. Once the right fans/shrouds are used, the weakest area tends to be the thermostatic switches.

The best advice I can give is don't install an electric fan.

Please explain this. Don't get offended by my question. I'm mean I'm really at a loss. Modern cars run them. They have to pull far more CFM at idle than a engine driven fan. They save HP and weight, provide more space. I know I can sit there on 100 degree day in traffic with my twins running.

Please explain this. Don't get offended by my question. I'm mean I'm really at a loss. Modern cars run them. They have to pull far more CFM at idle than a engine driven fan. They save HP and weight, provide more space. I know I can sit there on 100 degree day in traffic with my twins running.

Sure. Modern cars are designed to operate with electric fans. Our older cars are not.

So, that means when you modify to an electric fan, you are basically going into "no man's land" from an engineering standpoint. This is why fixed and clutch fans work on our cars, because they were designed to work on our cars.

Re-engineering something is not as easy as simply throwing a part on. It's a pretty well known fact that the "average" hot street/strip car needs around 4000 CFM of air flow.

People who just "slap on" a Taurus or whatever fan have no idea from a design and engineering standpoint what the hell they are doing.

If I WAS going to switch to an electric fan, I would SPEND THE MONEY to get a damn good one, instead of trying to be a stupid *** and always find the cheapest way out, like most dolts do.

I like the Flexalite Black Majic series fans. They are not cheap but they will MOVE SOME AIR.

I never will understand why people spend 5K plus dollars on an engine and then get a junkyard electric fan for it.

Total dumbasses.

If I have offended anyone, then good. That was my point.

My biggest beef with electrics is this; When the fan quits 100 miles from Nowheresville, I'll be calling Dr.Hook. If I lose a fan belt, well there's always a spare belt,in the trunk.
The mechanical fan is a non-normal wear item, and a belt runs me 10 or 12 bucks, and can be flipped on without tools if need be,in 5 minutes. Maybe,just maybe, I can even run it at 40mph with ram air and no belt.Just maybe.
The fans and support works? IDK. But sure as heck, when they make trouble, it will be at a bad time.And I'm not gonna be designating space in my trunk for a complete second spare system every time I leave home for a four-hour trip.
That's my biggest beef.Not the only one.
Hey I could put a 4banger under my hood. That would be a huge improvement.....in fuel mileage. "Modern cars run them".
Most "Modern cars", affordable to the masses, are overweight,under-powered,bandaided-to-no-end,marvels of government mandated dictates. It doesn't automatically make them,somehow, better. And 120 year old, mechanical fan designs are definitely not somehow automatically inferior.
Here's my second beef;
Yes;Mechanical fans may cost a bit of torque at idle, but the engine has a preponderance of torque there anyway, and the number would be small.At WOT, again they are using up power that could otherwise be used to power the wheels.At cruising speed they are practically going along for a free ride with the ram air.
So for a race car it makes sense. And maybe for a stationary engine too.
When the electrical fans come on, they draw a huge load on the electrical system, so much so that at idle, most fuel injected engines will automatically increase the idle speed, so the alternator can keep up. If you track your modern car the sustained WOT will create a lot of heat that the cooling system will need to get rid of, same as the racecar. A mechanical fan will get the job done in a a few seconds. The electrical fans will run for a long time.Several minutes.At cruise, the electrics will mostly be off.
The thing is, when the engine powers up the alt to do this job, you find out that the alternator is horribly inefficient, requiring as much as 5 or 6 or even 9 times more times the energy to do it's job, than if the fan was directly driven. So it's busy wearing out the charging system, and emptying out your fuel tank, to-boot;This is my second beef.
Here's the third beef; A well designed cooling system with a mechanical fan, will run a rock-solid cooling temperature. This means you can run the temp up to 200,210, or even more. If you tune your engine to reliably run this temp,you can take advantage of that higher-running rock-solid temp.You can tune for fuel mileage. Or you can exploit the horsepower envelope.
With an electrical system the engine running temp, will be varying some 30 degrees from around 190 to 220, or even 230. Don't even think about trying to run hotter than normal, cuz sooner or later the fans will be running full time and maxed out.One little incident and it will be goodbye engine.That's my third beef.
Electric fans on modern Cars are on there cuz manufacturers have found a way to meet the government mandates with them. It allows their powerplants to meet emmissions requirements with ever decreasing engine sizes that they need, to make the mpg numbers that they either think the masses want, or are mandated to achieve.That's just a beef;period. Of the people for the people...HaH.

Sure. Modern cars are designed to operate with electric fans. Our older cars are not.

So, that means when you modify to an electric fan, you are basically going into "no man's land" from an engineering standpoint. This is why fixed and clutch fans work on our cars, because they were designed to work on our cars.

Re-engineering something is not as easy as simply throwing a part on. It's a pretty well known fact that the "average" hot street/strip car needs around 4000 CFM of air flow.

People who just "slap on" a Taurus or whatever fan have no idea from a design and engineering standpoint what the hell they are doing.

If I WAS going to switch to an electric fan, I would SPEND THE MONEY to get a damn good one, instead of trying to be a stupid *** and always find the cheapest way out, like most dolts do.

I like the Flexalite Black Majic series fans. They are not cheap but they will MOVE SOME AIR.

I never will understand why people spend 5K plus dollars on an engine and then get a junkyard electric fan for it.

Total dumbasses.

Except, like most people that just rattle off a bunch of BS and resort to name calling, you have no idea what you're talking about. And I'm not offended at all Rob, because you're just plain wrong.

The Contour fans flow over 3500 cfm on the LOW setting. On the high setting they flow over 5k, I've seen some of them spec'd at close to 6k CFM on high. Which is moot, because I've also never had the fans go into the "high" setting, even when its 110* out and I'm stuck in traffic. The original Ford parts were made by Bosch and have excellent reviews regarding their reliability, with most of the OE parts going well over a hundred thousand miles without any issues at all. So that "junkyard" fan is more reliable than the overpriced aftermarket crap that doesn't flow as many CFM. If you do a quick search, you'll see that the Contour fan swap comes up on a number of different internet boards, it's being used by quite a few folks in various different musclecar, hot rod, and 4WD applications as an alternative to more expensive and less capable aftermarket electric fans. On top of that, Ford spent a lot money engineering the Contour fan set up. Probably a lot more time that Spal or some of those other aftermarket fan makers spend on theirs. Ford actually wants it's fans to outlast the warranty period, which is a lot longer on their cars than anything any of the aftermarket folks offer.

As far as being in "no man's land" on a swap, that's also BS. There are quite a few people on this site, myself included, that have done the contour swap. Like goldduster318, I did the swap with a 26" 3 core Champion radiator and use a Dakota Digital controller, although I did buy a Dorman reproduction fan set up. I haven't had any cooling issues whatsoever, and I'm running a 400+ hp 340 that's .060" over. Goldduster318 runs a 470hp MRL 340. The swap is well documented in my build thread (and others), and has been addressed numerous times here. If you'd bothered to take a look at the PDF goldduster318 posted, you'd see he made instructions for the whole thing.

As far as "engineering" the system, all that matters is the CFM rating of the fans. The radiator doesn't know how those CFM's are being supplied, neither does the engine. The only thing that matters to the engine is that there's enough CFM being supplied to keep the engine in it's operational range. How that is accomplished is irrelevant to the engine. Not only that, I'd bet that Ford spend quite a bit of money engineering the Contour fans to work in a car that has less frontal area, less open space with airflow to the radiator, and much less engine compartment space and air flow to cool the engine. The dual fan set up is for a V6 that made 200 hp, but it has a single core, 1" deep radiator.

My biggest beef with electrics is this; When the fan quits 100 miles from Nowheresville, I'll be calling Dr.Hook. If I lose a fan belt, well there's always a spare belt,in the trunk.
The mechanical fan is a non-normal wear item, and a belt runs me 10 or 12 bucks, and can be flipped on without tools if need be,in 5 minutes. Maybe,just maybe, I can even run it at 40mph with ram air and no belt.Just maybe.
The fans and support works? IDK. But sure as heck, when they make trouble, it will be at a bad time.And I'm not gonna be designating space in my trunk for a complete second spare system every time I leave home for a four-hour trip.
That's my biggest beef.Not the only one.
Hey I could put a 4banger under my hood. That would be a huge improvement.....in fuel mileage. "Modern cars run them".
Most "Modern cars", affordable to the masses, are overweight,under-powered,bandaided-to-no-end,marvels of government mandated dictates. It doesn't automatically make them,somehow, better. And 120 year old, mechanical fan designs are definitely not somehow automatically inferior.
Here's my second beef;
Yes;Mechanical fans may cost a bit of torque at idle, but the engine has a preponderance of torque there anyway, and the number would be small.At WOT, again they are using up power that could otherwise be used to power the wheels.At cruising speed they are practically going along for a free ride with the ram air.
When the electrical fans come on, they draw a huge load on the electrical system, so much so that at idle, most fuel injected engines will automatically increase the idle speed, so the alternator can keep up. If you track your modern car the sustained WOT will create a lot of heat that the cooling system will need to get rid of, same as the racecar. A mechanical fan will get the job done in a a few seconds. The electrical fans will run for a long time.Several minutes.At cruise, the electrics will mostly be off.
The thing is, when the engine powers up the alt to do this job, you find out that the alternator is horribly inefficient, requiring as much as 5 or 6 or even 9 times more times the energy to do it's job, than if the fan was directly driven. So it's busy wearing out the charging system, and emptying out your fuel tank, to-boot;This is my second beef.
Here's the third beef; A well designed cooling system with a mechanical fan, will run a rock-solid cooling temperature. This means you can run the temp up to 200,210, or even more. If you tune your engine to reliably run this temp,you can take advantage of that higher-running rock-solid temp.You can tune for fuel mileage. Or you can exploit the horsepower envelope.
With an electrical system the engine running temp, will be varying some 30 degrees from around 190 to 220, or even 230. Don't even think about trying to run hotter than normal, cuz sooner or later the fans will be running full time and maxed out.One little incident and it will be goodbye engine.That's my third beef.
Electric fans on modern Cars are on there cuz manufacturers have found a way to meet the government mandates with them. It allows their powerplants to meet emmissions requirements with ever decreasing engine sizes that they need, to make the mpg numbers that they either think the masses want, or are mandated to achieve.That's just a beef;period. Of the people for the people...HaH.

Again, you've posted a lot of unsubstantiated claims here, most of which have NOT been my experience running the Contour fans on my car.

The Dakota Digital controller allows me to set my temperature range in single degree increments if I want (although that's kind of silly). My fans come on at 195* and turn off at 190* for the "low" setting. My "high" speed is programmed to come on at 205* and shut down at 200*. The "high" speed on my fans has never been used. So, not sure what you're talking about on this 30* temp range, but it doesn't happen with the Dakota digital controller. The only time my fans have run for more than a minute or two I was stuck in traffic in 110* weather, and the low speed was still cycling on and off, and the fans stopped running as soon as I was above 10mph or so. Again, that's on a 400+ hp 340 that's .060" over with 110* outside air temps. Most of you aren't even driving when its that hot.

I run a 100 amp Tuff Stuff stock style alternator. I've never had any issues with the electrical system on my car. I do run most of my electrics through a relay solenoid, which is how I run power to the fan relays. But the rest of my electrics are stock, including the amp gauge in my dash (which will be bypassed for a voltmeter eventually). It's pretty common now for folks to ditch the 60 amp stock alternators for higher rated units, even Denso's, which are putting out a lot more than my 100 amp stock style alternator. Ideally some changes should be made (like the amp meter bypass), but again, that's something most people are doing anyway. Obviously if you're considering an electric fan set up you're probably not too worried about being 100% stock.

As far as reliability, I already mentioned that the OE ford parts have been demonstrated to work problem free for well over a hundred thousand miles. The OE bosch parts are dead reliable, and there are a crap load more Ford Contours and Mercury whatevers on the road than all of our years/models of musclecars combined. As far as parts go, the fan relays are available at most local parts stores. The fans themselves are usually available within 24 hours, same with the controller. Carrying an extra set of relays would be similar to carrying an extra fan belt, there's a lot that can go wrong with a mechanical fan/fan clutch set up that you can't fix with a fan belt. And if things really go south with that fan clutch you aren't just buying a new fan, you're buying a new radiator. If my fan motors burn out I just buy another one.

I don't think that the electric fan conversion is for everyone. There are advantages and disadvantages to it, and wiring it up isn't for everyone (I hate wiring!!!). There is something to be said for the simplicity of a mechanical fan with a fan clutch, but there are drawbacks too, especially the quality of the fan clutches that are out there now. Including a bunch that aren't rated to 6k rpm! But on a properly set up electric system you won't see many of the issues that you "have a beef" with.

You haven't a clue. First, as nearly always, my "name calling" was tongue in cheek.

Beyond that, lemmie clue you in. Those Ford fans ain't ****. Never have been. Never will be. Those flow figures are a bunch of made up hooha. I don;t care if they come straight from Ford. It;s bullshit.

I KNOW that, because I have compared a Black Majic fan TO a Taurus fan "supposedly" with the same ratings you say. The Black Majic fan sounded and felt like a damn hurricane in comparison. It moved so much more air than the Ford fan, it was ridiculous. We had the Ford fan setup on a 383 powered rat rod making a tick under 400 HP.

It constantly got too hot at idle and low speed crusing. It was not a junkyard unit, but BRAND NEW straight from Ford from the local dealership in Milledgeville, Georgia. Though it was a two speed fan, we wired it in on high. Still was not enough.

Our guess was that Ford must have a different way of measuring CFM.....perhaps similar to the differences between how Holley and Carter measure CFM and come up with very different ratings on supposedly similar size carburetors, I don't know.

What I do know is, that damn Black Majic fan moves the hell out of some air. We compared it not only to the fan it replaced, but also to three other Fords that we had in the shop at the same time, because like you, we also "had heard" that the Ford fans were good. They are crap if you have something with any power at all.

I would not have commented if I didn't know first hand. But I do. Seen it with my own good one eye.

Oh and one more thing. Show me where I am just "plain wrong" that these older cars were designed with a fixed or clutch style fan.

That's where you are just "plain wrong".

Different things work for different people. Evidently your setup works good. You probably have a lot of radiator for those inferior fans. Glad it works for you.

I still stand by what I said and I am correct. Our older cars were never designed with electric fans in mind.

Total dumbasses.

Why does the radiator care about what type of fan it is? The thing needs airflow to cool, whether it comes from a fan, free flow through the grill opening, or the pressure drop between one side and the other.

Where's the info on that it needs 4,000 cfm? The amount of airflow needed depends on the combination of several factors like engine efficiency, radiator size, frontal opening, engine size, fin density etc. What works for someone with a 318 with a mild cam is a lot different than a 440. So you may be able to get by with less, or need more.

Most aftermarket parts never go through a DVP&R like the Contour fans do. I have no reason not to trust a factory OEM part that's also not known for failing.

Here's my second beef;

Totally wrong. We can directly measure the electrical load from the fans. So, if we have 40A which is maybe even high for a contour fan and use Ohms Law ( Power=current x voltage ) so Power= 40A x 14V = 560W. Let's say your alternator is 60% efficient which would be relatively close. So 560W/0.60 = 933.3W. 746W=1hp. So...the fan is loading the engine for 1.25hp. And it's probably running at idle where you have a lot of extra power you don't need. But, adding that load will drag the idle down. Instead, when you have a mechanical fan, the load is always there.

The electric fans are more efficient. Pop the hood on a new 3.6L Ram that can tow 7k lbs, you'll find electric fans.

I have had pretty much the identical experience to 72blunblu. Never use high speed. Fans come on and turn off as in the PDF. Rock solid temp. Basically never on when I'm moving.

With my last engine which was less souped up, and a stock 72 A/C radiator, and a stock mechanical fan, my water temp would vary between 190 and 220, and would creep always in traffic.

You haven't a clue. First, as nearly always, my "name calling" was tongue in cheek.

Beyond that, lemmie clue you in. Those Ford fans ain't ****. Never have been. Never will be. Those flow figures are a bunch of made up hooha. I don;t care if they come straight from Ford. It;s bullshit.

I KNOW that, because I have compared a Black Majic fan TO a Taurus fan "supposedly" with the same ratings you say. The Black Majic fan sounded and felt like a damn hurricane in comparison. It moved so much more air than the Ford fan, it was ridiculous. We had the Ford fan setup on a 383 powered rat rod making a tick under 400 HP.

It constantly got too hot at idle and low speed crusing. It was not a junkyard unit, but BRAND NEW straight from Ford from the local dealership in Milledgeville, Georgia. Though it was a two speed fan, we wired it in on high. Still was not enough.

Our guess was that Ford must have a different way of measuring CFM.....perhaps similar to the differences between how Holley and Carter measure CFM and come up with very different ratings on supposedly similar size carburetors, I don't know.

What I do know is, that damn Black Majic fan moves the hell out of some air. We compared it not only to the fan it replaced, but also to three other Fords that we had in the shop at the same time, because like you, we also "had heard" that the Ford fans were good. They are crap if you have something with any power at all.

I would not have commented if I didn't know first hand. But I do. Seen it with my own good one eye.

Taurus fans and Contour fans are entirely different...and for a wholly different application. The Taurus fans are also of an older design and are a single fan with a smaller shroud size. The Taurus radiator is bigger, there's more frontal area that's open on a taurus, and the engine bay is bigger. The Contour V6 is honestly a crazy packed in engine bay. And of course, the A/C has to cool in death valley AND keep the car cool...and work for the design life of the car which was at least 150k miles. that's the test.

Oh and one more thing. Show me where I am just "plain wrong" that these older cars were designed with a fixed or clutch style fan.

That's where you are just "plain wrong".

Different things work for different people. Evidently your setup works good. You probably have a lot of radiator for those inferior fans. Glad it works for you.

I still stand by what I said and I am correct. Our older cars were never designed with electric fans in mind.

"Designed with a fixed or clutch style fan" for a stock application when nobody had electric fans, means basically ZERO when you have newer technology AND a modified car. The equation changed.

I'm not sure where you're going with the radiator thing, because basically every electric fan car doesn't run the fans while you're cruising along on the roads. I think if you were choosing a radiator, you'd spend the almost no extra money to get the slightly larger one, you know, one that could keep the car cool while it was moving without a fan. Basically the best design practice you could use without computer modeling. You're always covered there. The car even warms up faster since I'm not pulling extra air across the radiator when I don't need to be. So you could use a small radiator, loose power all the time with your mechanical fan and have heat creep if you want. Been there, done that.

The fact that we're not even using the fans to what their capable of in no way makes them inferior. I sat in traffic at the Woodward dream cruise where I never exceeded 5 mph in 87 degree heat this year for two hours and the high speed never turned on. So the engine never got above 205. The fans were even cycling on and off. The car didn't care at all. I was in worse shape than the engine was. And I have a 78A 12SI delco alternator. Still holding above 13V the whole time

Everyone who I've spoken with that runs this setup is totally satisfied with it. Even the guy running one on a 22".

I don't think the factory intended that I use beehive springs or a hydraulic roller cam in my 340 either, but those work great too.

Whenever I hear this "electric fans are the devil" barbara streisand, I always think of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer from Saturday Night Live, [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8YBuwmtzYE"]I'm just A Caveman - YouTube[/ame]

Your Electric fans scare and frighten me, I wonder if little demons are in them causing them to spin, I don't know. My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

I never said they were the devil. You cannot read.

What I said was not to buy junkyard crap. If you are going to use an electric fan, get a DAMN GOOD ONE.

I think I said that word for word.

Whenever I hear this "electric fans are the devil" barbara streisand, I always think of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer from Saturday Night Live, I'm just A Caveman - YouTube

Your Electric fans scare and frighten me, I wonder if little demons are in them causing them to spin, I don't know. My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

=D> =D> =D>

:thumbup:

I never said they were the devil. You cannot read.

What I said was not to buy junkyard crap. If you are going to use an electric fan, get a DAMN GOOD ONE.

I think I said that word for word.

You also said, and I quote,

Of course they were never designed for aluminum intake manifolds or headers either, so those can't possible work. How about radial tires? Weren't designed for those either. #-o

The black magic fans are only rated for 3,300 CFM and cost 3x what a brand new Dorman Contour fan sells for, which is rated at 3,500 CFM on the low setting. They're also only 21.5" wide, so, no joy on a 26" radiator.

But, by all means, spend 3x as much to get a fan that pushes fewer CFM and wasn't designed to last 150k miles so you can say you bought a good fan. I know I have a damn good fan because it works.

Here's something you can't do with a mechanical fan. When I get in my car and it's f'ing freezing outside, I can bump up the temperature on my fan controller to 200* and make the air coming out of my heater warmer. Takes 10 seconds to re-program the controller and another minute or so of warm up time. Try that with a mechanical fan. :evil3:

I did say that and I am right. Our cars were not designed for electric fans. Are you actually trying to argue that point, or are you simply trying to be annoying?

THANKS to 72bluNblu and goldduster318 for posting about their setup in other threads because
I did the same thing to my 1974 Dart that came from the factory with a 26"3 row radiator and fan clutch(318 a/c ) which was not enough to cool my hot little teen.
With the champion radiator,contour fans and dakota digital controller,My car is always 195
degrees and I live in Texas !!!
Hey it just works.

-
Back