Electric fuel pump for Dakota?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the Truck Forum but I thought I'd ask you guys and gals. I need to replace the fuel pump in my 96 Dakota 3.9. Napa has Delphi and Advance has Airtex. Back in the late 70's I sold Airtex at the parts store and then they were the best. I have read some negative about them lately. What pump have you used that lasts. Thanks, tmm

TMM,do retail parts,for a living.Not a big fan of Airtex.Used to warranty a lot of late model G.M. truck pumps,as well as some of later model Magnum truck pumps.My .02.

I posted this on the Truck Forum but I thought I'd ask you guys and gals. I need to replace the fuel pump in my 96 Dakota 3.9. Napa has Delphi and Advance has Airtex. Back in the late 70's I sold Airtex at the parts store and then they were the best. I have read some negative about them lately. What pump have you used that lasts. Thanks, tmm

I can't say on a Dakota but I have installed dozens of Airtex pumps and not had a failure yet. We just did one on a 2005 Malibu last month. Always install a new filter and save the reciept when installing the pump because they will not honor that warranty if you don't. I normally buy the pump and the filter on the same time so both will be on the receipt.

Great point.Sold an Airtex yesterday,need the filter changed,otherwise 90 day warranty.Fuel pumps are getting to be like reman A/C compressors.Everything has to be in line,for warranty.

I don't know a lot about my 96 yet. are the filters @ the pump or are they on the frame?

I have to cycle the key a couple times to get it started without cranking too long. I haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet. The truck has 150,000 on it. It's entirely possinle that the filter has never been changed. It's a one owner truck that an old gent owned. tmm

I have to cycle the key a couple times to get it started without cranking too long. I haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet. The truck has 150,000 on it. It's entirely possinle that the filter has never been changed. It's a one owner truck that an old gent owned. tmm

Sounds like the filter may be part of the pump. "V6/V8 ,in tank."

Some years only have them in the tank .. Ive had a few 90 to 96 dakotas my 92 had one on the frame rale .. My 94 only had one in the tank gas filter that is lol .. . there trans are bad bout blowing up along with the gas pumps but if you take care of them you should have a good truck that will last you along time

Oh and when you change it make sure you have it clocked right of the gas gage will not work .. Dont ask how i know lol

What ? I said some thing funny ? Cool thats news to me hahahaha lol JK

I didnt want to pull the bed back off that thing hahaha at least i told ya thats all it needed lol :cheers:

Yeah you did. Like you love to play wacky mole. :evil2: :D

Somewhat related question, do you have to remove the box to change fuel pumps or can you just drop the tank, or is it just easier to remove the box because of Murphys Law, the fuel pump is going to go out when the tank is full? I am sure I will have to change the fuel pump in my 98 Dakota eventually(v6 with 180,000 miles). Read somewhere that when the gas guage quits working that the fuel pump isn't far from going out. My gas gauge has been working only intermittently for about the last 20,000 miles.

Many that I talk to say pulling the box is easier. Soak the fasteners with penetrating oil a few times a few days before you do the job. Invite a few friends over to help. A few beers should help. If you remove the box, having a full tank isn't an issue. LOL tmm

Many that I talk to say pulling the box is easier. Soak the fasteners with penetrating oil a few times a few days before you do the job. Invite a few friends over to help. A few beers should help. If you remove the box, having a full tank isn't an issue. LOL tmm

Xs2 it does make it easier to replace the pump by removing the the bed. TMM there is 6 bolts that hold it in and are easy to remove the bolts

Mine seems to be acting better lately. I still have to cycle the key a couple times to start it cold but since I reset the o2 sensor code it runs much better. I still have to take the dash apart and see why I don't have a "service engine soon" light when I turned the key on. I'll bet some hack took it out instead of replacing the o2 sensor. tmm

It is alot easier to change the pump by simply sliding the bed back rather than drop the tank or completley remove the bed. As far as pumps and quality go, we wont use an airtex pump at our shop becausr their quality has gotten so bad. We typically use the bosch or delphi pumps. We try to use parts that are factory such as motorcraft, ac delco etc...
And for the filter i know my 99 ram has an in tank filter.

If your having to cycle the key a few times to get pressure built up you might check your fuel pressure regulator and make sure its not allowing pressure to bleed back into the tank.
I dont know if your pump will come as just the pump or as an assembly but we get cars in every now and then that people think the pump or regulator is bad and it turns out the hose on the pump itself gets a hole in it and leaks the pressure off. So all we have to change is a short peice of hose in the tank and we have much happier customers :cheers:

That's good to know. Sliding the box back over the rear wheels seems to be the preferred method. Much easier than removing it completely. I haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet to see how fast the pressure comes up and if it holds it or not. Thanks for the info. tmm

there may be a filter on the left frame rail. It's what I call a "chrysler mystery" they don't know what they did. There is definitely a filter on the bottom of the fuel module.
I use the Delphi pumps in the shop. The Airtex rep has been trying to get me to switch. Even to the point of offering me spiffs. (I buy 3 of his pumps, he gives me a Carhart jacket w/Airtex logo) I haven't done it yet, makes me wonder why they have to spiff to get you to buy their pumps.

-
Back