Engine rattle

-

WARLOCKII

Reaction score
Today we started our engine, 383 mild build. We ran the engine at 2000-2500 rpm, 10 degrees base timing, open headers, 50 psi oil pressure(with break-in additive) at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. Shut it down and checked for leaks. We installed a pair of mufflers and ran it for another 25 minutes. It has a rattle from the right side that we thought was lifters needing to pump up (sounds like valve train). We pulled the valve covers to check for loose parts and found that we could move the #8 intake rocker arm enough to get a .025 feeler gauge between the rocker tip and valve stem. We switched rocker shafts and push rods and had the same issue. We pulled the intake and there is no visable wear(can't feel anything with your fingernail), the lifters have a nice pattern in the center, the cam has a nice pattern on the lobes. We used a dial indicator and the #8 intake lobe has .003 less lift than the #6 intake lobe. All of the lifters on the drivers side were pumped up, 3 of the lifters on the pass. side were pumped up. Do you think we have an oiling problem, lifter problem or do we have a cam problem? Any suggestions would be great.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Look up the oiling diagram in your shop manual. I don't see an oil gallery being a problem

Check the valve installed height compared to the others, otherwise check out the lifter itself.

I assume you checked the rockers and pushrods for length and wear

We primed the engine and rotated the crank a few times while priming. The push rods are the same length and the rockers don't appeear damaged. Even with changing push rods and rockers the problem remains with the #8 intake. I'm going to check the valve installed height and install a new set of lifters.

im not trying to hijack your thread. im having the same exact problem with my 77 360. new cam and lifters, great oil pressure, lifters were manually pumped up before install, new rockers and shafts, pushrods all measured out exact. i have valve train rattle i cant get rid of. oddly enough, it is most noticable above #6 and # 8 so im watching this thread intently

try starting it with valve covers off then take a wooden handled hammer and put the wooden part on the rocker over the push rod and apply pressure down this sometimes pump the lifter up titer its worked for me in the past.sometimes it works sometimes it dont............Artie

I sure do love solid lifters.

I sure do love solid lifters.

I hear that.

I don't just love 'em, I actually RUN 'em.

The guys who remember what they are notice,

and those who don't know ask "why does your engine make so much noise?"

a "Because it's RUNNING!!"

b "because it's SUPPOSED TO"

c "because it's NOT a Pree ***

d "it's a little low on oil, but hasn't got much worse the last couple of years, so I just leave it"

Not saying it will, but I had 1 lifter on my 383 that rattled like crazy for quite a long time, and then decided all was well, and shut up. If you don't see any weird wear on the lobe or lifter, I would run it some more.

I would check valve stem height 1st., then see if the lifter feels soft (spongy), you can feel that by pushing down on the rocker (lifter side), if its spongy, it just needs to pump up, i've had to replace them, even on a new builds, I don't use anything but comp magnum anti pump-ups on all my BBs anymore, had too many issues with the basic lifters rattling/callapseing, even with adj. rockers.

I would check valve stem height 1st., then see if the lifter feels soft (spongy), you can feel that by pushing down on the rocker (lifter side), if its spongy, it just needs to pump up, i've had to replace them, even on a new builds, I don't use anything but comp magnum anti pump-ups on all my BBs anymore, had too many issues with the basic lifters rattling/callapseing, even with adj. rockers.

Mine was one of the "inexpensive" Summit cams. I never liked hydraulics, and after this one, I really don't like them. I have a solid to go in this summer.

Mine was one of the "inexpensive" Summit cams. I never liked hydraulics, and after this one, I really don't like them. I have a solid to go in this summer.

mine as well. i bought lifters from summit to go with it. less than 50 miles and i already have a completely collapsed lifter and a couple more that wont pump up. do not ever buy summit brand lifters.

The shop that we bought our rebuild kit through ordered us new set of lifters to try. We pumped them up and installed them, changed the oil and filter and started it up again. The noise is GONE! Next time I'm buying a roller cam and lifters. Thanks for all of the help.

-
Back