Engine running due to stall converter???

-
Just to help you with the timing
Your rpm at 60 with say 28s and a 3.91 will be about 2816 with zero slip. So depending on the efficiency of the TC, your Rs might be around 3100. Your engine will want a total timing at that rpm of about 45 to 50 degrees, possibly even more. So if you don't have a Vcan on that D, your engine is gonna consume a lot more fuel than it needs to, and a lot of it will be burned in the exhaust ports and headers. That's gonna create extra underhood heat, and that hot air is gonna go straight down into the intake manifold. Extra timing, allows leaner running, and that reduces the heat. Rich-running wastes the fuel and increases the cruise temps.
At very light throttle settings, like cruising at any speed over say 40, You have to start the fire quite early, so all the fuel can burn inside the chamber, and all of the energy in the expanding gasses can be delivered to the crank. Or at least as much as possible,lol. There is no benefit to sending high-pressure hi-temperature exhaust gasses into the headers; use up that energy to propel the vehicle, instead of keeping the mufflers warm,lol.

I can give you a recipe that I know works, cuz it's what I run, and my temp is rock-solid.
1)26" A/C rad circa 1973, with shroud, core-support cut to fit,and 7 yes 7psi cap. My hoses are circa 1999, except I have no idea how ancient the lower is.
2)8-blade hi-flo pump with an anti-cavitation plate, and matching Hi-flo 195 stat,
anti-collapse spring in lower hose, 50/50 coolant, semi-restricted bypass hose,
3)a 7-blade hi-attack factory A/C teener fan with a Ford pick-up truck (early 2000s)thermostatic clutch, and;
4) I run this in underdrive cuz I regularly buzz her up to 7000 or more.
5) I removed the license plate holder that the factory stuck sorta right in front of the rad!
6) Fresh cold air into the carb and lotsa cruise-timing.
This on;
68 Barracuda,360, manual trans, 2060@60, about 400 hp, maybe a bit more. Cruises interstates just fine at any speed. Idles all day at 36*C (97*F). Well maybe all-day is a stretch, let's say for as long as it has ever needed to, or several hours in traffic.
Yeah so;this recipe works. My stat runs 205 at the housing, always has. I figure it was defective from day 1, but since it never goes higher, Badaboom, I just run it!
You probably don't need the whole recipe. I like overkill, cuz a new engine ain't cheap.
Because your rad is so pretty I'd be inclined to start elsewhere.But I think RRR nailed it. Sooner or later you'll probably be swapping it out. If/when you do; go big. It's a no-lose deal. If it's too big the stat will take care of things. If it's too small, it was a waste of money.
If it was me; I'd start with removing that trans-cooler, and ditching the electric fan,lol.
What are your cam specs and measured compression ratio, or cylinder pressure readings?

Last edited:
Update: I put a new 180 Mr. Gasket thermostat in, a new 16' rad cap, and now have the transmission cooler plumbed. I drove the car to my volleyball game tonight. It ran warm again. No change. When I got home, I checked all of the hoses by hand for temperature differences. The lower rad hose I could hold because it was just warm. All the other ones would burn my hand if I touched them for more than a second. So, why is the lower hose so much cooler? Blockage somewhere?

Lower radiator hose is the inlet from the radiator...it has the cooler water....

Just to help you with the timing
Your rpm at 60 with say 28s and a 3.91 will be about 2816 with zero slip. So depending on the efficiency of the TC, your Rs might be around 3100. Your engine will want a total timing at that rpm of about 45 to 50 degrees, possibly even more. So if you don't have a Vcan on that D, your engine is gonna consume a lot more fuel than it needs to, and a lot of it will be burned in the exhaust ports and headers. That's gonna create extra underhood heat, and that hot air is gonna go straight down into the intake manifold. Extra timing, allows leaner running, and that reduces the heat. Rich-running wastes the fuel and increases the cruise temps.
At very light throttle settings, like cruising at any speed over say 40, You have to start the fire quite early, so all the fuel can burn inside the chamber, and all of the energy in the expanding gasses can be delivered to the crank. Or at least as much as possible,lol. There is no benefit to sending high-pressure hi-temperature exhaust gasses into the headers; use up that energy to propel the vehicle, instead of keeping the mufflers warm,lol.

I can give you a recipe that I know works, cuz it's what I run, and my temp is rock-solid.
1)26" A/C rad circa 1973, with shroud, core-support cut to fit,and 7 yes 7psi cap. My hoses are circa 1999, except I have no idea how ancient the lower is.
2)8-blade hi-flo pump with an anti-cavitation plate, and matching Hi-flo 195 stat,
anti-collapse spring in lower hose, 50/50 coolant, semi-restricted bypass hose,
3)a 7-blade hi-attack factory A/C teener fan with a Ford pick-up truck (early 2000s)thermostatic clutch, and;
4) I run this in underdrive cuz I regularly buzz her up to 7000 or more.
5) I removed the license plate holder that the factory stuck sorta right in front of the rad!
6) Fresh cold air into the carb and lotsa cruise-timing.
This on;
68 Barracuda,360, manual trans, 2060@60, about 400 hp, maybe a bit more. Cruises interstates just fine at any speed. Idles all day at 36*C (97*F). Well maybe all-day is a stretch, let's say for as long as it has ever needed to, or several hours in traffic.
Yeah so;this recipe works. My stat runs 205 at the housing, always has. I figure it was defective from day 1, but since it never goes higher, Badaboom, I just run it!
You probably don't need the whole recipe. I like overkill, cuz a new engine ain't cheap.
Because your rad is so pretty I'd be inclined to start elsewhere.But I think RRR nailed it. Sooner or later you'll probably be swapping it out. If/when you do; go big. It's a no-lose deal. If it's too big the stat will take care of things. If it's too small, it was a waste of money.
If it was me; I'd start with removing that trans-cooler, and ditching the electric fan,lol.
What are your cam specs and measured compression ratio, or cylinder pressure readings?

cam specs are:
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,800-7,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241 int./241 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 284
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 284
Advertised Duration: 284 int./284 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.528 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.528 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.528 int./0.528 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112

10.3 compession

What is running warm again? What temp? The lower hose is suppose to be cooler than the top. Means the radiator is transferring heat to the air. But again what is the temp difference/ With a thermo meter.

What is running warm again? What temp? The lower hose is suppose to be cooler than the top. Means the radiator is transferring heat to the air. But again what is the temp difference/ With a thermo meter.

engine temp continues to climb at highway speeds. Tonight it got to 210. I dont know the temp differences in hoses. I will find out tomorrow.

I had a similar issue with my 69 Dart 360. Wound up being the radiator needed rodded out. Made a major difference, with the A/C on in Florida heat it runs about 185-190.

but such a drastic difference?
Check the temps with an IR gun. The cold-water intake should be about 30* cooler after a hiway run. If it is a lot more different then yes the pump may not be pumping, or the rad is defective, not seeing air-flow, or as RRR said; something like "too small", lol.
But check the temp of the lower tank too, the 30* difference should be between the tanks.And the temp should progressively decrease along the length of the core-tubes, from top to bottom.

Your cam and compression are not the source of trouble

BTW, is that pump the correct rotation?; as in not from a late model injected Magnum engine which runs a counter rotating pump.

Last edited:
Something i dont recall seeing that needs to be checked, as above checking temp with an infra-red thermometer. And comparing it to your temp guage.

Something that also crosses my mind is a small leak from combustion chamber into the cooling system. I purchased a kit for testing the presence of combustion gases in coolant. Has helped with diagnosis many times. Typical head gasket failure symptoms start with temp rising at highway speed.

Also, 210 degrees isnt all that hot,dropped a rebuilt 350 in a vette,230 before fans come on. Factory setting.too high for my liking.

I'm going to check the temps tonight with an infrared gun. I'll record the temps. Then I'll pull the radiator and check it for blockage

Update: while I know the infrared temp gun isn't fool-proof, I used it tonight. Nothing I checked it with was over 180'. Hoses, timing cover, radiator, trans cooler, intake manifold, etc. At the same time, the Sun Pro mechanical gauge was at 210'.

I like auto meter gauges. Tell me which gauge you would go with?

Myself I would go with the infrared gun. Seeing as how this is one of the tools my wife bought for me which means it's not a Harbor Freight piece of crap LOL like I would buy. You have to make sure the sending unit is of the same manufacturer as the meter inside the car? I just recently had the same thing happen when I took out my Stroker motor and put on a intake manifold with a sending unit already in it on a different little small block. The temperatures were skying through the roof instantly but my infrared again was showing the same temperature as it always did before with the Stroker motor. I pulled the sending unit out of the Stroker motor and put it in the new motor and bingo! Everything was showing the same on the gun as it was on the meter in the car again.
Infrared guns are very easy to check LOL pointed at yourself. Most people know what temperature they should be.

Problem I've had, I'll put as a question to you, were you or any (well I know not you) or any of the owners of your motor previously big fans of a product called "stop leak"?

Problem I've had, I'll put as a question to you, were you or any (well I know not you) or any of the owners of your motor previously big fans of a product called "stop leak"?
I am not. I hope the PO wasn't

What electric fan do you have and how is it controlled? Do you have the hood to radiator support seal in place? What water pump?

i never did see what the temps were?or did i miss it?some engines just like to run a tad warmer

You can test the accuracy of the infra red gun,just drop your drawers and point it at your crotch. Should read close to 98.6.

J/k. If you look at a thermometer,like i have in my shop and point it at the same area, should be close. My shop is 74 degrees,infra red is 72.6. Close enough for me. So accurate within 2 degrees per hundred.

You can test the accuracy of the infra red gun,just drop your drawers and point it at your crotch. Should read close to 98.6.

J/k. If you look at a thermometer,like i have in my shop and point it at the same area, should be close. My shop is 74 degrees,infra red is 72.6. Close enough for me. So accurate within 2 degrees per hundred.
Well maybe your crotch runs 98.6 heehee.

IR guns just read surface temperature. How reflective the surface is also changes how the gun reads it, ie, a black radiator hose and a shiny aluminum radiator tank wouldn't necessarily read the same temperature, even if they were the same temperature. Also keep in mind that some materials will take longer to reach the same temperature as the water, because again you're reading the surface temperature of the object not the actual water temp.

IR guns are a decent way to check to make sure your gauge is in the ballpark though. They shouldn't actually read the same temperature as the gauge, but close enough.

Update: while I know the infrared temp gun isn't fool-proof, I used it tonight. Nothing I checked it with was over 180'. Hoses, timing cover, radiator, trans cooler, intake manifold, etc. At the same time, the Sun Pro mechanical gauge was at 210'.

I like auto meter gauges. Tell me which gauge you would go with?

Sounds like a gauge problem. Are you using the sender recommended for the gauge? 30* is too far to be off even with an IR gun. I have an autometer gauge in my Duster in addition to my Dakota Digital fan controller, both read from the same autometer sender. The gauge reads about 10*F hot in the normal operating range for me, so, I don't know that autometer gauges are any better. The readout from the Dakota Digital controller matches my IR gun pretty well, as well as the stock gauge too, which runs off a stock sender (2 different sending units). Of course the stock gauge is just an estimate since it lacks actual degrees, but it still matches the range better than the autometer gauge. Those little extra gauges just aren't super accurate.

And, 210*F isn't really that hot. I mean, it should be the upper end of where you usually run, but it's not alarming.

If you do not have a full length spring inside the lower radiator hose the hose can collapse at higher rpms causing your restriction and overheat at highway speeds.

If you do not have a full length spring inside the lower radiator hose the hose can collapse at higher rpms causing your restriction and overheat at highway speeds.

If cooling system is under pressure, how can a hose collapse? The spring,my understanding was it was only supplied in certain vehicles for preventing collapse in the vacuum filling process. I would think the spring inhibit flow if anything.

I your bottom hose is collapsing, you have a restriction in the radiator not allowing the pump to draw water in the engine.

I run a spring, a 1973 radiator,and a7psi cap. I don't want to find out at 7000rpm that my hose might be collapsing. I want to have confidence in my cooling system. This has been working for me since 1999.
Not having a spring is like walking into a quarantine room, without a hazmat suit. Or having swx without a condom. At least that's how I see it,lol

-
Back