Ever gotten money back from a machine shop?

-
Sorry for the wordy-ness and these will be my last comments.
Anybody who has ever done any work for cash from others faces the challenge of delivering value for dollar. Everyone who does work for others and is posting has made mistakes that were not caught before a customer received the deliverable. As a customer, the responsibility through the process is to communicate, trust that the value will be there in the end, and if it's not, conduct yourself in a respectful way to arrive at a solution that makes you happy. As the vendor, the responsibility is to communicate and deliver that value. In your instance you stopped the process because you lost trust in the product immediately. It's not unexpected as the deliverable had both obvious and hidden (an uncovered by a 3rd party) issues. I get that.

I've said it before on this site - it's not the mistakes that matter because we all make them. It's the recovery. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had to pay out in parts and/or cash to make problems right for a customer. The couple projects that had big issues either by my fault or a new part failure I paid thousands and worked twice as hard to make right for them. I feel blessed that I can count the guys who allowed me to fix things that didn't deliver for them as very good friends (as in we've kept in touch over years, multiple sales & jobs for them). I place a very high value on showing respect for people and having it be shown to me. That may be why I have the opinion I do on the subject.

So with all due respect, the right thing at the time would have been to call the builder at that point and communicate. Give him the respect of deciding for himself what the next step is given you are upset, feeling taken for a buck, and nervous about other issues. Maybe he was rushing the job because he's new to the position and as a new owner he's being pulled and pressured by everything. Maybe he rushed it to get it and others out before he left for vacation. Maybe he had personal issues distracting him while doing it. The choice to make it right should have started with him and been made by both of you, not been made unilaterally. I think ultimately he will refund you something because it's in his business's best interest to do so and it gets you out of his face. Not because he feels he owes you. I don't feel he owes you because you cut the transaction off and did not allow him to even decide if he could make it right even by paying the other guy for parts and time. I understand your side and motivation and respect the motivation for the choice to move to a perceived better builder. However you denied the builder any input on a solution to what were really his problems, stuck a one-sided story on the web, assumed he's avoiding you because you didn't know about a planned vacation and he didn't return your call promptly, and now want money back.

Thanks for the second response Moper but I gotta say, I understood your point the first time. We just happen to disagree. I didn't do anything wrong. I had to look out for the guy who spent all the money.......me. Lol.
I have a very busy job. I work freelance and if I screw something up, I probably don't get a second call. Due to my schedule, I had this builder(who I have used before and have a good relationship with) build the engine. Even when I was getting delayed again and again, we always were civil and friendly with one another.
Also, I completely understand that you think I broke the agreement by not giving him a chance to fix it. Let me give you a list of reasons why:
1. When I brought him the last batch of parts, including paint, he said my timing was good because he was about to paint it orange. I had turquoise paint with me. He never asked me what color.
2. When I arrived to pick up the engine, the balancer and oiled pump weren't installed.
3. Gives me a story about the "tight" distributor bushing. I take the motor without giving him any grief.
4. Next day I discover the old bushing still lodged in the bore.
5. I spend over an hour troubleshooting th oil pressure issue. No galley plug installed.
6. No oil slinger installed.

I paid a good amount for just the ASSEMBLY of this engine and didn't feel I got what I paid for. That's all.
And, believe it or not, I'm rooting for the guy. He's a good guy. I just happen to think it's the right thing to do to give me a little something back since I didn't receive a fully assembled engine. That is what we agreed on and what I paid for. Not to mention the multiple mistakes that were made.
Also, my friend who was helping me reminded me that he'd probably rather give me a little cash back than deal with a motor that had been run without oil to the top of the engine.
So, while I appreciate hearing your opinion, we will just have to agree to disagree.
If he doesn't give me a dime, that is fine. I will look for another shop.
If he wants to give me a little something back, I'll still willing to work with him. The machine work looked great and the engine has run perfectly the two times I've run it so far.
I COMPLETELY understand that I decided to open up the engine and I will deal with whatever the engine builder decides to do. I just feel that whether I get a dime back or not, I needed to fix these things myself. It was the best decision for me at the time and I still feel the same way.
I'll keep you guys posted as it develops. As long as the thing runs good, I'm fine.

Thanks for the second response Moper but I gotta say, I understood your point the first time. We just happen to disagree. I didn't do anything wrong. I had to look out for the guy who spent all the money.......me. Lol.
I have a very busy job. I work freelance and if I screw something up, I probably don't get a second call. Due to my schedule, I had this builder(who I have used before and have a good relationship with) build the engine. Even when I was getting delayed again and again, we always were civil and friendly with one another.
Also, I completely understand that you think I broke the agreement by not giving him a chance to fix it. Let me give you a list of reasons why:
1. When I brought him the last batch of parts, including paint, he said my timing was good because he was about to paint it orange. I had turquoise paint with me. He never asked me what color.
2. When I arrived to pick up the engine, the balancer and oiled pump weren't installed.
3. Gives me a story about the "tight" distributor bushing. I take the motor without giving him any grief.
4. Next day I discover the old bushing still lodged in the bore.
5. I spend over an hour troubleshooting th oil pressure issue. No galley plug installed.
6. No oil slinger installed.

I paid a good amount for just the ASSEMBLY of this engine and didn't feel I got what I paid for. That's all.
And, believe it or not, I'm rooting for the guy. He's a good guy. I just happen to think it's the right thing to do to give me a little something back since I didn't receive a fully assembled engine. That is what we agreed on and what I paid for. Not to mention the multiple mistakes that were made.
Also, my friend who was helping me reminded me that he'd probably rather give me a little cash back than deal with a motor that had been run without oil to the top of the engine.
So, while I appreciate hearing your opinion, we will just have to agree to disagree.
If he doesn't give me a dime, that is fine. I will look for another shop.
If he wants to give me a little something back, I'll still willing to work with him. The machine work looked great and the engine has run perfectly the two times I've run it so far.
I COMPLETELY understand that I decided to open up the engine and I will deal with whatever the engine builder decides to do. I just feel that whether I get a dime back or not, I needed to fix these things myself. It was the best decision for me at the time and I still feel the same way.
I'll keep you guys posted as it develops. As long as the thing runs good, I'm fine.

Just because I don't want to respond to all of it, but unless the customer requested a certain color, it gets the color it cam with from the factory. I can't see that being a big deal.

I never run an oil slinger. There is zero need for it. If you are worried about getting oil to the timing chain and gears, drill a small hole in the cam plate. The slinger doesn't do a damn thing. Another no big deal to me.

The machine shop that rebuilt my 318 that had 273 Commando air cleaner, Commando AFB, and Commando finned valve covers painted the valve covers blue.

DSC01277.JPG

The machine shop that rebuilt my 318 that had 273 Commando air cleaner, Commando AFB, and Commando finned valve covers painted the valve covers blue.

View attachment 1715081250

Did you ask for that? Personally, I can't stand that color. The guy I used for machine work before I started doing it painted all his engines that color unless you specified otherwise.

The Chevy guys were pissed off when they got that paint color.

I just enjoy you guys going at it! Entertaining stuff. Just razzing you a bit.
And I just thought I'd have a choice of my engine color. Yes, it's a 440 but it's going into a 65 Plymouth.

I know some engine builds who won't paint anything black. Unless you ask for something else, you get black.

Looks like dibbons got something that didn't match his year as well.

I should say all racing engines I did/do are black. The street stuff got OE color.

I know some engine builds who won't paint anything black. Unless you ask for something else, you get black.

Looks like dibbons got something that didn't match his year as well.

I should say all racing engines I did/do are black. The street stuff got OE color.

I hear you. Mine is a street strip car. Looks stock on the exterior. Trying to go stealth/sleeper looking. Lol. Jpar can tell you all about it. Here is the junk in question:

IMG_0316.JPG

I did not ask them to screw up the Commando valve covers, some day I'll restore them myself, back to the Hemi wrinkle black. I always assume that blue was Mopar 318 engine blue, but now that I look at it again it almost looks like Petty blue!

Okay I get it you didn't say that you lied but you were the first person to use the word lie and it was used in the context of your suppliers lying to you about parts coming but then you went on to say how your piston guy would tell you one time and you would tell your customer another time and when you told your customer 10 weeks did you tell your customer that that was your best guess? Or did you tell him it would be done by then hell or high water?
As far as me opening up a shop there will be absolutely no way I could last a doing something so repetitive and unchallenging. But I already said that. I am definitely not bitching about how much it cost. I am bitching about paying good money and getting crap in return! As you say you could train a monkey to put these together could I please have your best monkey on this for my 5K? I'll gladly give you another K to double-check your monkey no problem!
I just rather be told the truth because I'm a big boy now and I can handle it. There were shops that were small that could do my motor cheaper and have good reputations but I chose a shop that I was comfortable with. I had my compliance and I had my b****** about how long it took don't get me wrong but in the end they did it right! That motor is badass (wanting to show you that first hand) next time it will be machine work that's necessary that I can't do only. So just as an FYI to you I'm not going to take any kind of stance where it's okay to miss this or miss that at this kind of dollar amount. Every last red cent of my money has been made honestly and that's the way I intend to spend it on someone who's going to treat me with complete honesty and professionalism. I'm sure you've came across the few Concrete Man in your days and to say they didn't earn their money would be a big joke especially here in the northwest or anytime you open a hole to put in a foundation it turns into a mud pit quick. YR why don't you open up a concrete business and carried 150 lb forms up and down muddy hills all day and I'll open up a shop and sit on a stool in front of the machine.

How did I lie? I told my customers when the crap would show up.

Like I said, I'd rather tell the customer too long for parts and have them show up early, then to tell them what the manufacturer says, have it show up late and have to deal with that.

So I didn't lie.

What I would suggest you do is go out and open your own shop. Or buy a shop where the guy is retiring. See how fast you go broke.

Also, everyone and their mother knows you can train an organ grinder to assemble an engine. Why does everyone think it hard? Before I final assemble an engine it has been put together several times. If it's a new build it might go together 10 times. All the double checking should be done LONG before it gets final assembled. Unless you like degreeing a cam, checking P/V, piston to head and a hundred other things on final assembly.

You need to open your own shop. Then you can ***** about what it costs, how long it takes, ridiculous customer expectations and deal with **** when it goes sideways.

Okay I get it you didn't say that you lied but you were the first person to use the word lie and it was used in the context of your suppliers lying to you about parts coming but then you went on to say how your piston guy would tell you one time and you would tell your customer another time and when you told your customer 10 weeks did you tell your customer that that was your best guess? Or did you tell him it would be done by then hell or high water?
As far as me opening up a shop there will be absolutely no way I could last a doing something so repetitive and unchallenging. But I already said that. I am definitely not bitching about how much it cost. I am bitching about paying good money and getting crap in return! As you say you could train a monkey to put these together could I please have your best monkey on this for my 5K? I'll gladly give you another K to double-check your monkey no problem!
I just rather be told the truth because I'm a big boy now and I can handle it. There were shops that were small that could do my motor cheaper and have good reputations but I chose a shop that I was comfortable with. I had my compliance and I had my b****** about how long it took don't get me wrong but in the end they did it right! That motor is badass (wanting to show you that first hand) next time it will be machine work that's necessary that I can't do only. So just as an FYI to you I'm not going to take any kind of stance where it's okay to miss this or miss that at this kind of dollar amount. Every last red cent of my money has been made honestly and that's the way I intend to spend it on someone who's going to treat me with complete honesty and professionalism. I'm sure you've came across the few Concrete Man in your days and to say they didn't earn their money would be a big joke especially here in the northwest or anytime you open a hole to put in a foundation it turns into a mud pit quick. YR why don't you open up a concrete business and carried 150 lb forms up and down muddy hills all day and I'll open up a shop and sit on a stool in front of the machine.

We all know the piston guys, as a general rule, lie through their teeth. That's why I doubled whatever time they said and added a week.
Cams on the other hand, are almost always on time if they have the core.
Would you rather I tell you what the lying piston guy says, or tell you what I think it will be? The worst I can do is be wrong and have them show up sooner than I figured. The OP was pissed because he was held up. That's usually what happens. Waiting on **** and then fixing it when it shows up.

Engine building is only repetitive if you are doing PER work. Nothing repetitive about building engines. No two are the same.

Engine assembly is as simple as it gets. Like I said, the work and double checking happens before anything goes into assembly. Why do you think assembly is hard. I can teach you how to screw one together in way less time it would take me to teach you how to correctly hone a bore. Or correctly set a sleeve. Or how you pick a valve job, understand flow bench numbers or how to develop a port.

Assembly is simple.

BTW, I've done concrete. Also roofing.

I'll open a concrete business as soon as you open an engine shop.

I'd pay some goofball to carry 150 pounds of anything. Work smart, not hard.

Another great thread getting derailed with arrogance n chest-thumping.
Good work!
chest thumping of course, what do you want us to do trade each other with our best knitting knitted shirt!? Arrogance where the hell do you get that?
BTW, I've done concrete. Also roofing.

I'll open a concrete business as soon as you open an engine shop.

I'd pay some goofball to carry 150 pounds of anything. Work smart, not hard.
Yes well of course you work smart, but you don't start there.
Careful my son is a 28 year old mechanic at a dealership LOL we might be opening our own shop maybe in 10 years or so and you don't want to be starting to concrete business then LMAO!!
Roofing you say? Was that you I saw that one day with the tether cord that went more than halfway to the ground and back up to you?

:popcorn: Ok maybe I misinterpreted the "arrogance" my bad.
Definitely bang on with chest thumping tho.
Carry on with your knitting lol

chest thumping of course, what do you want us to do trade each other with our best knitting knitted shirt!? Arrogance where the hell do you get that?

Yes well of course you work smart, but you don't start there.
Careful my son is a 28 year old mechanic at a dealership LOL we might be opening our own shop maybe in 10 years or so and you don't want to be starting to concrete business then LMAO!!
Roofing you say? Was that you I saw that one day with the tether cord that went more than halfway to the ground and back up to you?

Are you nucking futs? I'll be lucky if I'm still alive in 10 years. I'm OLD. I don't want to start a concrete business NOW. I'm too OLD for that crap.

I have not been on a roof, and paid for it since 1985. Two years of the crap was plenty.

Knit 1, pearl 2.

-
Back