Ever gotten money back from a machine shop?

-
Thanks for clarifying. I had to think there for a minute I don't remember ever being called arrogant before?
Please remember that hosehead not only welcomes it but he instigated too.
I almost forgot - HEY YR! Mines bigger than yours....
:popcorn: Ok maybe I misinterpreted the "arrogance" my bad.
Definitely bang on with chest thumping tho.
Carry on with your knitting lol

And........on to happier topics. It's in! I need a nap.:lol:

IMG_0756.JPG

Im always surprised those lift plates dont strip the holes out.
Lools awesome.
Video soon!

Edit...and LOOKS awesome too lol

Last edited:
Never used one of those either they always seemed... well, like it's going to strip the bolts out like you said LOL

That's what I thought at first too. I started to think about it and realized I've never heard of one stripping out. Worked without incident though. I like them for engines that are sitting around also. Seals up the intake nicely.

And a bb and alum intake If ever it would fail that would have been the time
Ive never heard one strip out either.
On my shopping list
Never used one of those either they always seemed... well, like it's going to strip the bolts out like you said LOL

That's what I thought at first too. I started to think about it and realized I've never heard of one stripping out. Worked without incident though. I like them for engines that are sitting around also. Seals up the intake nicely.

I read somewhere that if you do the math, the strength of one of those bolts could hold up the engine easily (not that I've tried it!). I've used the plates several times...it sure is easier than a chain slung across the engine!

I read somewhere that if you do the math, the strength of one of those bolts could hold up the engine easily (not that I've tried it!). I've used the plates several times...it sure is easier than a chain slung across the engine!

It's not easier than using an engine leveller when installing so you can tilt it and then make it flat again...

It took me more time to take the pictures than it took to put the engine in...

DSC04713 B.jpg

DSC04751 B.jpg

DSC04756 B.jpg

DSC04758 B.jpg

DSC04764 B.jpg

DSC04786 B.jpg

The problem is when you port the intake, the bolts are strong enough but the manifold isn't.

Don't ask how I know. It's a bunch of welding to fix it. When I port an intake I make sure I write on the receipt do not pick up engine by intake manifold.

That's what small claims court is for, and I dare say you have more than a couple of bucks coming back.

time is money, and money is time for those in the business of service. More service means more $$$$$. I went to a engine shop that built drag motors, had them install hardened seats and new valve guides in some 906 big block heads. When I got home, I checked what they did. One head was perfect, the other head all 4 exhaust valves let alcohol run right threw. In a dark room, I shined a flashlight through the exhaust port and all 4 valves had a 1/8 moon of light coming through.
It took me 4 hours of lapping at home to get those 4 valves to seal. I didn't say a word, but they've never done anything else for me as far as machining goes.
  • I do as much of my own shade tree work that is possible. Never lost a cam or engine, ever. But I don't double check, I triple check because I know how many mistakes I can make from sunrise to sunset :D

A leveler would be nice, but it probably wouldn't work on things like my straight-8 Buick because the boom won't go high enough to clear its massive front end. Then again, a carb plate won't work on that either. :)

The carb plates are a confidence grow on you sort of thing. At fist I had my doubts, after about 10 engine installs, I quit worrying and use them all the time.

UPDATE: spoke with the builder today. He agreed to send me a check for $200. I felt that was fair for what I was out.
He told me that his helper did some of the work on the engine including the dist shaft bushing and the oil galley plug. He said the guy has put together tons of engines but maybe not that many Mopar's.
I guess we now know how everyone feels on the topic. Lol. I just thought I'd let you guys know.
I'll keep you posted on if this thing grenades or not.:lol:

Reasonable. It was a good gesture on his part. Looking good btw. May build myself a couple of them plates.

5/16"-18tpi has a clamp force of 3342 lbs. grade 5.
Grade 8 clamp force is 4700. Its not the bolt you need to worry about. Torque is only 17 ft lbs dry.

-
Back