exhaust smell while driving....

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
hey guy, ive noticed im getting exhaust fuems into the cab mostly while moving with the windows down. not so much with them up, just down. im positive i have no leaks ahead of the tip. its go the hipo single exhaust set up on it. how far should tip extend from panel? ive dubble checked trunk seal its good to go. any ideas? thanks guys.

It's got to be pulling it in from somewhere in the back, and the windows being up just slows it down.
The trunk seal is usually the main culprit but you say you already chked that.
Other induction spots can be around tail light housings, holes in the trunk floor, rear window gasket. (Any open spots in the body in the rear of the car)

Inkjunkie - I love this phrase in your signature

"Discipline your children so prison guards wont have to later..."

When I was the alignment man at the local chebbie place, I got all the alignments, plus all the squeaks, rattles, leaks and anything else nobody wanted. I RACKED UP at that place too. They all hated me. lol

I learned a LONG time ago when I was a kid how to track down air leaks. The service station owner would ask me to ride with him and give me a lit cigarette. I would run it around all of the windows until I found a spot where the smoke would suck out. ....and yes, I did it in the trunk a few times too. lol Although there might be safer ways, I don't believe there are any better ways. It worked every time.

Thing is i notice it with the windows down, cant really do smoke test with em down. will check the body plugs @ lunch. i re adjusted the trunk last night & did the paper trick (for drag) to make sure its even tutching the seal along the bottom. & it is good to go now but still has smell with even drivers side window down only. are the tips soposta stick out a little with the hipo exhaust? wish i had a smoke machine & wind tunnel to barrow lol!

How is the steering column seal? If you also have a valve cover leak, might get smell from that.

I have cured many cars with this problem. With these systems you will never smell the fumes again. There is also a bubble attachment available with neons

Attachments

• download.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 377
  • download (1).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 350
  • download (2).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 345
That`s part of the old mopar experience, getting high on high test exhaust fumes.:shock:
I tried to seal the trunk partition with plastic when I put in new carpet.
It helped a little but not 100%
Might check filler neck floor grommet?

I used to have to stuff rags down the quarter panels of my 65 plymouth to get relief from exhaust fumes. I learned to soak the rags with oil to keep them from collecting moisture and rotting out the rear sheet metal, too. Hey, I was 16 and my less than 20 year old car was already rotted to hell.

If the hood to cowl seal is bad it will draw engine bay fumes in through the fresh air intakes while driving.

I did the cowl seal and it helped a little bit but when I put another 1/4" wide layer of foam (got it at the $1 store, for sealing window drafts) and layed it on top of the bottom portion of my trunk seal I finally eliminated 90% of the exhaust odor. The other 10% is like Mopar Head stated, "That`s part of the old mopar experience, getting high on high test exhaust fumes."

Ok guy's i think i think i got er figured out.....I found a cuple thing's leaking, 1st i found that the stearing colom seal under the hood was completely off becouse whoever had put it back in didnt bother to recenter it so seal would fit right. that took care of air leaking from colom but still had smell. Sooo i kept looking opened trunk & still had smell back there even after can was off for a little bit. i just happened to be checking it out @ night with my flash lite & noticed some light where it shouldnt be & found that the marker lights in the trunk wernt seated all the way down (were partly setting on the crome pannel of trunk) due to the crome in the middle of the trunk being upside down!!! (black lines down) leaving both lights with 1/4 inch gap around the curved part of the lamp. Fliped crome reinstalled lights & man that seems to make a huge diffrance!! Now that the lights are flush it looks even better back there ta boot. Thanks for the tips guys!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I had the same problem, checked the whole system, front to back except for the exhaust manifold. Turns out 2 bolts on the right side manifold we loose. A little lock-tite and the problem solved.

If you happen to not smoke or don't like the smell of cigarette smoke try this. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SECURITY-SM200-SMOKE-IN-A-CAN-CANNED-SMOKE/dp/B000MWWWEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378656898&sr=8-1&keywords=smoke+in+a+can"]Amazon.com: UTC FIRE & SECURITY GE SM200 SMOKE-IN-A-CAN. CANNED SMOKE: Camera & Photo[/ame]

-
Back