F*&%ing ford!

-

65cuda360

Reaction score
Talk about a pain in the azz! I got brave(or stupid) and decided to change the valve stem seals in our spare ($1000 POS) car. It's a 97 Crown vic interceptor 4.6. Replacing the seals requires a $70 special spring compressor (sohc) and a $50 set of valve cover gaskets. Little did I know when I got into it the valve covers are close to impossible to remove, let alone reinstall with gaskets on them. Changing the seals on most of the valves wasn't too bad, until you get to the rear on both sides. Most of the info I found said to pull the evap. housing, loosen motor mounts, pull the brake booster ect. ect.. What it boils down to is that the 4.6 does not belong in that car! I had to take a break and finish the 2nd side the next day. The compressor has to be levered with a 3/8 ratchet while you fish the keepers out and try not to lose anything! F@#& Ford!

Valve stem seal jobs on newer stuff is for the birds. PITA. If it's not hard to get to the parts are tiny and get lost down an oil galley..

I never thought that motor belonged in anything. I caint stand um.

They've circled the problem.....right in the center of the grill!:finga:

I've owned at least one version of every Mod motor they've built (still own a new 5.0 Stang) and yes, they are a giant PITA to work on. If you check the book, they probably call for dropping the subframe with the motor/tranny attached. No worse than changing the plugs on my old '99 Trans Am.

Newer cars are built for assembly not for repairs. All new cars are a pain in the *** to work on. Try an alt on a VW or a PCV System on a BMW. I could go on for ever.

that circled problem in the middle of the grille, is actually for target practice!!!! :finga: :-({|=

Newer cars are built for assembly not for repairs. All new cars are a pain in the *** to work on.

X2.... when my daughter moves out with her 93 Geo (great gas mileage) my 69 Barracuda will be the newest vehicle here!

You know, I got to thinking yes Fords are a ***** to work on. I had to change a wheel bearing in the front driverside wheel on a Taurus wagon (the last Ford I'll EVER own!) and it took 3 f*ckin days to do! to remove the wheel/tire, and then to knock the rust loose to get the damned rotor off the hub, and then to remove the whole freakin strut, was a PITA, and that is an understatement! As the strut decompressor I got is to big, and its the smallest one available, or well at that time it was anyway.....And I had to take it apart, and try to assemble it INSIDE the damed coil spring of the strut to get it grab just enough steel to decompress it to remove it as one bolt that holds the wheel bearing in place is right behind it, and at the angle it all is, you can't get the bolt out enough to remove it, and then get the wrench out of that location too....And if it "goes flying" it breaks your wrench OR cracks the spindle....Had the passenger side to do just that!

What a PITA to remove! I can say the Olds Cutlass I had many moons ago was about the easiest wheel bearing I ever did.......I've never had to replace or change one in a Mopar so.....The Olds was a beatin car when I got it,. and it traveled regularly on a dirt pounded with pot holes road, for about 2 miles one way just for me to leave home and come back home so. 4 miles a day out and back one time, and if more then it got more wear and tear on it so the wheel bearings took a serious poundin'......

-
Back