Factory Manual Car to Automatic floor shifter location

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently decided to go from a four speed manual 833 to a 904 trans in my duster. I would like to put in a Hurst quarter stick for the shifter and was wondering if i am able to use the factory hole from the manual transmission or if i have to weld that hole shut and relocate the hole for the new shifter??

Anybody ever put an automatic transmission in a factory manual car?????

Thank you in advance for the help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are trying to "sink" that quarter stick into the 4 speed hole, I'd bet it's too big, plus "if," I think you'd find the shift lever a bit short. Those are designed to be "surface mounted" on the floor.

The manual trans builds req'd a "hump" section added to the tunnel. Converting to OEM automatic shifter could delete that hump add on completely. I have no clue where aftermarket shifters are best positioned through the tunnel.

Hey Jason,

20160529_124508.jpg
floor 29.jpg
I riveted (In case I ever get around to getting a 4spd backin the old girl) a sheet metal cover where the 4spd shifter hole was, and mounted my shifter where it felt best.

Be well,
Pat

I did this last summer. Took 4-speed out, 904 in. 4-speed is back in! LOL.
Honestly, put the aftermarket shifter wherever you want. Back in the day I had a 72 duster Auto and I mounted a quick silver b&m on the floor hump. It had the bench seat with the fold down center. I moved the seat all of the way forward and between not hitting my hand on the dash in park and not hitting the bench in low there wasn't much wiggle room anyways. I loved it. (Long before I ever touched a 4-speed!)
Now this last summer in the 73 duster we had race buckets, roll bar, ect... I took out the hump, riveted sheet metal over the hole and made a 10 inch pedestal mount and mounted it so the shift knob while in drive (ratchet mode) was 4 inches parallel to 3 o'clock on the steering wheel. This of course was all a special set up for my wife to drag race the duster. We qualified it for a passenger and I took her for passes and she loved it, but didn't show enough interest to continue.
That 904 was the best, most lighting quick, responsive shifting automatic I had ever had the pleasure of owning....that 904 is sold and gone with my 4-speed back where it's supposed to be!
DON'T SELL YOUR 4-SPEED STUFF!!!
have fun..

Careful there's a tough crowd out here they'll start bashing you for taking the 4-speed out in the first place. you do what you wanted to and have fun with your car there's no perfect formula for whatever you want to do. Just like I did take it out put it in maybe that's part of your hobby just having fun changing things up. Enjoy!

Oh and the reason I took the hump out and just put sheet metal down was because they gave the driver a little more legroom or I guess foot room down there on the right side.

LOL like Columbo one more thing LOL I never do permanently put down my for Speed hump I just attached it with screws and a seal in a way I can bring it back up. Nothing like taking your transmission off of your bellhousing - those two very hard to get at top bolts while comfortably sitting in the driver seat of your car LOL

LOL like Columbo one more thing LOL I never do permanently put down my for Speed hump I just attached it with screws and a seal in a way I can bring it back up. Nothing like taking your transmission off of your bellhousing - those two very hard to get at top bolts while comfortably sitting in the driver seat of your car LOL

j par,

Thank you for all the advice also thank you for the warm welcome. I know i am going to piss off several "purists" with this build but im not building this car for them LOL when i got her it was just a shell of a feather duster sitting on mismatching axles and a whole random mix of bonus garbage thrown on the floor. I realize my post was deceiving as i never had a transmission in the car so there was nothing to get rid of or change to. I knew that it would be very $$$ to put the original 4 speed (and all necessary parts) into the car so i robbed all my buddies "junk" A bodies to build this car! Welllll and a ford 8.8 with 4.10 gears in it!!!

Anyways i was just making sure that the shifter location didnt indeed matter because i didnt want to cut off the factory 4 speed mounting location for the original and have to fabricate the whole left side of the "Hump"

Hey Jason,

View attachment 1715129035 View attachment 1715129036 I riveted (In case I ever get around to getting a 4spd backin the old girl) a sheet metal cover where the 4spd shifter hole was, and mounted my shifter where it felt best.

Be well,
Pat
Thanks Pat That looks awesome!!!!!

I have a bench seat that im steadfast on keeping in my car so if i could use the factory "hump" location that would be great because its far enough forward to shift through the gears without hitting my bench....(which is actually in a custom location because im 6'3")

Thanks Pat That looks awesome!!!!!

I have a bench seat that im steadfast on keeping in my car so if i could use the factory "hump" location that would be great because its far enough forward to shift through the gears without hitting my bench....(which is actually in a custom location because im 6'3")
Well if you're like me and your kind of tall you might not want it right where the old 4-speed shifter is you might want it a little bit more away from you to the right. My vertigate shifter would touch my knee when I raise my foot off the gas to put it on the break. Just make it comfortable for yourself...

Well if you're like me and your kind of tall you might not want it right where the old 4-speed shifter is you might want it a little bit more away from you to the right. My vertigate shifter would touch my knee when I raise my foot off the gas to put it on the break. Just make it comfortable for yourself...

Ive been looking for an install video for this type of shifter and i cannot find one anywhere. This is my first build and im always finding out that what makes sense in my head almost never pans out when i try to put it into practice on my car LOL. ill keep looking on here for a "how to" on one of these shifters specific to our cars.

If this were mine I would not necessarily re-work the floor. You can surely make a simple sheet metal cover and fit it to the original shifter hole, maybe even stick your new cable through there. Mount the shifter where you want carpet over it etc. I "would like" my shifter somewhat over towards "me" and if the 4 speed hump provided a "platform" that would be great

If this were mine I would not necessarily re-work the floor. You can surely make a simple sheet metal cover and fit it to the original shifter hole, maybe even stick your new cable through there. Mount the shifter where you want carpet over it etc. I "would like" my shifter somewhat over towards "me" and if the 4 speed hump provided a "platform" that would be great

This is what i will do! Thank you for the help!

-
Back