Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Misty had gotten a pretty good coat of dust and grime from the spring pollen and general dust from sanding and sweeping up. It was hot as hell today so Aaron and I pushed her out and gave her a bath after dinner. Hoping to get the steering column back in the car tomorrow as well as detailing the under hood wiring harness. All in between ferrying kids to soccer scrimmages 45 minutes away early in the morning and mid afternoon.

Attachments

• cm.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 480
That Red is gorgeous!!! Love it!

Thanks Alex, My son and I debated for the longest time about it. He liked B5 and a new Jeep blue thats not metallic. Basin Street Blue and black. I love the oranges because the contrast is nice with the black stripes. But after hashing it out, we decided that we needed to paint the car a color you could actually get on a 74 Plymouth. So E5 Rallye Red was our choice.

Red...it just screams fast. I am not sure any blue can do that!

We are so happy with our choice of color. I grin as wide as the ocean when I walk through the garage.

My middle son is going to the Junior Olympics as a high jumper and he is playing soccer on his high school team.

I had big plans for working on the Misty this past Sunday, but my middle boy had a soccer tournament (not a scrimmage, he's not good on the details) an hour away that began at 8:00am that ran through 5:00pm. I wound up spending the day with him at the soccer tournament. It was time well spent, he's a great athlete. ( I was captain of my football team back in high school. I'm so proud of him even though I don't have any football players! )

The car is very patient, she waits with no complaints for us to spend some time on her. It's almost like the car gets younger as we progress, but these children are growing up and I just can't miss that......

Don't worry about the duster, family is way more important than material things.
The Duster will be done some day, just be patient.
I have 5 kids and 5 antique cars, and a awesome wife.
None of the cars are finished, but all drivable.
That means 11 things that need my constant attention.
Then add in the house, life in general. It happens to everybody.

Our driveway was looking shabby, so Aaron and I used Blackjack filler to fix the cracks and their sealer to re-coat it. It looks a lot better now.

I have managed to tinker with little stuff here and there on the car, but nothing major to speak of. I just get so damn busy in the summer.....

Attachments

• coat.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 409
Family first. The hoist is here when you need just call.

Happy summer! 97!
AlV

I made it out to the garage today! My son Aaron ordered a set of Rock sliders for his '14 Wrangler Sport. It didn't have any running boards from the factory, so we pushed the Duster out to the driveway, pulled the Jeep in and installed the Sliders this evening. While the bay was empty after the Jeep was done, I brought in my Suburban and tightened up the air dam that was jarred loose on a random snow bank this past winter.
I need to get the land yacht ready to go to Virginia tomorrow with my middle son who will be competing in the AAU Junior Olympics over the next few days. As usual, Misty is tucked back into the garage and will just have to wait a bit longer....

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 401
  • kit.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 387
  • bare (1).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 370
  • slider.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 368
  • chevy.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 372
While I'm off topic, here is one bad *** machine. Whiskey and her three sisters, Iowa, MO and Jersey were the finest ever to sail. I wish our Navy still had shore bombardment capabilities like this old girl used to provide....

View attachment image-1333887109.jpg

I took the family to Canada on Vacation! A few days in Niagara Falls a few days in Toronto and a day in Ottawa. I was a nice trip, we all loved it! Hope to get back working on the car very soon....
OH yeah, we listed our house for sale too. We are looking to build new, with a four car garage
:cheers:

Attachments

• yellow.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 330
  • falls.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 344
  • rog.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 339
  • ott.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 316
Vacations are great. I am waiting to ensure I can retire here before I build the garage! Now get back to work.....I am almost done.

As soon as I figure out how to position the rotating assembly of my motor, buy a rebuilt distributor and hold down over the next few days, This motor is going in the car this weekend.....

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 308
  • bay.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 304
Whatcha mean by position the rotating assembly.....it goes in that empty hole under the hood with the oil pan facing down, pulleys to the front.....lol

Ahhhh. I see what you mean. I wasn't thinking straight. Wife just had me flip through 50 pin up pics of her....was distracted. Pull the plug and slap a bfw on there. That is the joy of having access to a shop with run stands. Able to hook everything up, adjust linkages, carb, timing while out of the car.

The weekend will be here before you know it. I'm guessing you and the kids are getting pretty anxious. Heck, I'm a bit excited for you myself. It's been almost 4 years since you started the thread.

Has it been that long??? lol
I meant what I said when I said "low to no budget"
The car was $200, the motor was $400 complete carb to pan less the dizzy, 904 transmission with TF2 shift kit $165, all the body panels were less than $600, even my welder was used at $50. About $350 for welding wire filler and sand paper.
Final plastic, 2K primer, blocking and paint $3,000 (done at a shop, a gift from my amazing wife)

I was blessed to have a nice guy GIVE me a set of 340 hi-po manifolds.

I bought a brake line set from finelines for $85 on sale. And that's where I am. No expendable cash to spend right now but that motor is going in. We won't be able to fire it due to no fuel line, battery, or radiator, but the little blue beast will be off the floor and in the car sitting on 2 new spool mounts! ( and I'm borrowing the engine hoist :D )

I can't do anything about how long it's taking, But I am enjoying the ride.....

Well keep at it, looks great. Are you looking for anything besides a distributor?

After the radiator, it's a lot of little things like plug wires, hei module, belts, hoses, fuel line.
When that's all done I'll spring for the Jeggs exhaust..

Hopefully we'll be cruising next summer.....It's all good :burnout:

Once you get cruzin you'll never get tired of turnin heads! That ride will do it.

Got our modded column to floor shift column sanded and primed tonight. Going to finish coat it tomorrow and put it in to car prior to setting the motor in the car on Saturday.
Nice to accomplish something after some time off....

View attachment image-2161149330.jpg

Detroit muscle technologies has the gasket sets for the car pretty much from front to back. If you haven't gotten them, I would suggest...keep your feet dry if you get caught in the rain.

-
Back