Feeler Thread Tubular K Members for Stock suspensions.

-
Well I'm confident the K-member alone will be under $1000 the complete package will be a different story. I'm hoping to be in the 2700 range for everything.

It's going to be 1 3/4" 4130 tube with all the factory mounting locations retained including the steering box. It will be designed for street use from the begining and will be beefed up just for that reason.

So if you use mild steel, do you have any idea what the weight savings might be over an original?

I know its only in the planning stages but obviously that would probably be one of your main considerations...

I would be interested if the price were right. There is a member here that makes K-frames. Without going into to details, the reason I am considering going with his is the (memory may be a bit foggy) is you can buy the frame from him and then deal with the local parts stores for the rest. I get my stuff from a certain NAPA store, and he gives me a steep discount on stuff. And if I remember right he quoted me 800 or so for just the k-frame.....

Cap auto products is already making that exact product. I have it on my car. I think you are wasting your time to be blunt and honest. Steve

I am interested if it has the ability to use a rack and pinion, use stock lower control arm, no bumpsteer, and chromoly construction. A low price would be nice too.

Im also interest but like said CAP auto are already

making them for less than 1000$ I think so

will need to be cheaper if he wanna sale few

of them

but for sure Im interest

PS.CAP are selling them in CANADA
by karbelt

with packages like this for Chevy selling for under 500.
KM0051R.jpg

And where I read posts like this on other forums and I quote from another Mopar forum : why are the ones for Mopar available so high in price? anywhere from $2500 to $3800+ I can get same thing for my Cobra for $600

I find that I would like to get my 64 Signet a tubular K-Frame for usage of any oil pan and have discussed this with C.A.P. who makes such a unit now for usage with either a stock steering box or Rack and Pinion either way with Torsion bars which I love and so did Chrysler. I may just wait til I get exactly what I need because the prices we pay as Mopar people spending has always been out of the ball park so to speak. All this just to save weight as my Signet weighs in at 2540 pounds as it tis.

All I know is I am interested but only when someone comes off there high horse and gets with the program

So if you use mild steel, do you have any idea what the weight savings might be over an original?

I know its only in the planning stages but obviously that would probably be one of your main considerations...
We won't be using mild steel. 4130 is Chromoly

Cap auto products is already making that exact product. I have it on my car. I think you are wasting your time to be blunt and honest. Steve
CAP has a bad history of fitment issues and breakage and their kit is priced up there with the rest of them.

with packages like this for Chevy selling for under 500.
KM0051R.jpg

And where I read posts like this on other forums and I quote from another Mopar forum : why are the ones for Mopar available so high in price? anywhere from $2500 to $3800+ I can get same thing for my Cobra for $600

I find that I would like to get my 64 Signet a tubular K-Frame for usage of any oil pan and have discussed this with C.A.P. who makes such a unit now for usage with either a stock steering box or Rack and Pinion either way with Torsion bars which I love and so did Chrysler. I may just wait til I get exactly what I need because the prices we pay as Mopar people spending has always been out of the ball park so to speak. All this just to save weight as my Signet weighs in at 2540 pounds as it tis.

All I know is I am interested but only when someone comes off there high horse and gets with the program
Thats my end game here is to offer a quality unit for an affordable price. The Cap K-member by itself it $1395 and still has no provisions for a steering rack built into it unless you ask for it from the start. I want to have both already built unto the K-member so when you decide to switch to a rack you can very quickly and affordably.

ok don't take any of this personal or as a shot . this is just what pope into my head when i saw the post.

personally i don't see why anyone would put a tube k-frame in just to run all stock suspension stuff. seriously what advantage is there? at the most maybe a couple pounds is all i can see.

where i see that you may run into problems is making it build-able from all stock suspension stuff to a full rack set up using the same frame itself. guess it could be done but i also think any weight savings if any in the first place will be thrown out the window having to put mounts for a rack,steering box, idler arm, strut rods..etc..etc..

good luck, hope it all works out for ya but its gonna be tough i think. i also think people will be very surprised as to how expensive it will be in reality after piecing it all together. hell a stock rebuild on a front suspension can get to $1500 real easy when doing everything and converting to large bolt disc (unless your getting a lot of free parts), add close to a thousand more for the new tube frame and your not far off from something like an alter-k which includes everything to drive in the garage with a stock suspension and drive out in a couple days with a coil over rack and pinion set up. only thing you need to supply is grease and brake fluid..

like i said man, good luck. keep us posted.

Thats my end game here is to offer a quality unit for an affordable price. The Cap K-member by itself it $1395 and still has no provisions for a steering rack built into it unless you ask for it from the start. I want to have both already built unto the K-member so when you decide to switch to a rack you can very quickly and affordably.

my question is how will you go about this? will you be able to use stock mopar spindles? or will ya have to change them out when doing the switch? if using stock mopar stuff then will it be rear steer? won't that put the rack in the way of the oil pan and possibly headers? if ya flip the lower ball joints to make it front steer i hear ya get into geometry issues, but hey i'm no expert thats for sure..

my question is how will you go about this? will you be able to use stock mopar spindles? or will ya have to change them out when doing the switch? if using stock mopar stuff then will it be rear steer? won't that put the rack in the way of the oil pan and possibly headers? if ya flip the lower ball joints to make it front steer i hear ya get into geometry issues, but hey i'm no expert thats for sure..
No these are just the questions I wanted to hear on this. I was talking to my guy about making the steering box a bolt on member and we were going to stick with a stock spindle. Oil pan issues would arise on a rear steer set-up on a rack so the rack mount would be built into the front of the K-member with offset steering links with built in swapable ball joints (think screw in like the uppers.) Again we need to prototype this out so we are all just speculating on how it would work but this is the time to plan out the best method of attack in my opinion. If we go into this with certain things in mind we can account for changes that will need to be made right away. All of these parts will go through several iterations before I say it's a done deal. This thread is geared to see what you all would think of the set-up if it comes down to being out of reach to get the interchangability I want then we will just concentrate on getting a full set-up to be as affordable as possible.

Another thing is we wont need to make 100 units for this to be affordable either. My guy works in small quantities so if we can only make 5 units because of the demand then thats all we will need to make. Now prices will come down with Volume as with anything but if we start low they can only get lower.

The main advantage the Ford and Chevy guys have is Volume. When BMR makes a K-member for a Fox body they know they will sell 500 units so I know we won't be selling these for $250 bucks But I can say we won't be as expensive as what is out there already.

Oil pan issues would arise on a rear steer set-up on a rack so the rack mount would be built into the front of the K-member with offset steering links with built in swapable ball joints (think screw in like the uppers.)

ok so it will need your lower arms no matter what. got it..

oh ok.. keep track of what all that is gonna cost the customer. in the end it will add up quick.

oh ok.. keep track of what all that is gonna cost the customer. in the end it will add up quick.
Again my end goal is affordability. If it gets out of hand things will change but for the main goal I want to beat the pants off of everyone else in the price/quality department.

An inexpensive way to install a 3g hemi and have power steering would probably sell very well.

Let me add to my initial comments. I am not trying to push the Cap products. I originally bought the whole Cap setup because i could use the the stock 73 spindles and brakes. The lower control arms he makes are tubular,strong, and look very good. I also like his L C A struts. I had the upper control arms but after bad comments and a pic of 1 broken i sent them back. I bought the Firm Feel U C Arms. They are much stronger. The reason you need the tube upper arms is to get more positive caster that is not possible with the factory arms. The car will hold the road much better. I considered the Alterkation system but its very expensive and you can only use the Wilwood brakes which adds another 1,000.00. If i had unlimited money the only way to go is the Alterkation because of the coil over shocks. The torsion bars caused me lots of problems. TTI says their 2 in. headers willl fit but they don't. I had to end up sending them back and getting 1 3/4 headers. BIG MESS. If you are putting a big block in like i did you will have to buy the Schumacher engine bracket kit to go with Abody motor mounts. Cap also has a rack & pinion frame that changes the car to front steer. Oh i almost forgot the tube K frame gives a lot more engine access. THATS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT. Steve

I considered the Alterkation system but its very expensive and you can only use the Wilwood brakes which adds another 1,000.00

thats not true. any brake that fits the mustang style spindle will fit. rms sells and economy brake. its an off the shelf ford set up. not sure of the application though.

does that look like a wilwood set up?

alterK6-17-065.jpg

Again I've read the horror stories about CAP stuff so I will not go further into it you can read it anywhere.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/abodyjoe/71%20dart/alter-k/alterK6-17-065.jpg[/IMG]
Well, Excuse me. Its probably only 500.00 for brakes. Spend 4000.00 for a frame and get cheap *** brakes. Besides i dont like Ford parts on my Mopar. Nice to have something to quibble about.
Steve

-
Back