Figured id share my garbage..

-
any good/close up pics of the axle splines and inside the spool?

Could it be chassis related? It went hard left, IIRC. Could it have unloaded the left rear tire?

I’ll have to grab some after work if I remember.

I suppose it’s a possibility that happened. I won’t rule out anything at this point. Expected to see obvious broken parts in the rear with the noise/amount of metal paste in it.

I’ll have to grab some after work if I remember.

I suppose it’s a possibility that happened. I won’t rule out anything at this point. Expected to see obvious broken parts in the rear with the noise/amount of metal paste in it.
is there a chance the outer bearing race spun in the housing? that would leave the bearing looking good, but also give you the metal sludge

Doesn’t look bad at all, any pics of the axle splines? Didn’t realize it’s one wheel peel now? Was it howling or noisy?

is there a chance the outer bearing race spun in the housing? that would leave the bearing looking good, but also give you the metal sludge

Pics of splines inside spool please. :thumbsup:

Driver side housing, passenger side, then inside the spool.

IMG_7437.jpeg

IMG_7438.jpeg

IMG_7439.jpeg

Doesn’t look bad at all, any pics of the axle splines? Didn’t realize it’s one wheel peel now? Was it howling or noisy?

Never made any noise, at least that I could hear. I thought the pinion looked a little beat for the amount of miles.

What kind of lubricant were you using? Just trying to throw ideas out there.

Wow, nothing appears bitched there. Leads me back to chassis issue. I know in a chassis car, it would likely be a 4link adjustment. Remind us what suspension front and rear please

Stock style suspension front and rear. Typical split monos, sliders, assassin bars on the back. I don’t see anything out of the norm either but can’t figure out where all the metal is coming from.

None of the chassis or tire possibilities make sense because of the metal paste. And that makes no sense because everything looks so nice.

Can you tell by looking at the wear on the splines of the axle how much spline engagement you have?

Can you tell by looking at the wear on the splines of the axle how much spline engagement you have?

Yes you can, I didn’t measure the engagement amount but I can do that after work. The video I sent you of the end play before isn’t making sense either since I can’t feel that in either bearing.

If it were me, because I absolutely hate doing things like this over again, I'd replace the gears, since you're considering a new ratio anyway, and I'd throw in a new bearing kit. I'd take it to a shop that specializes or you know does a shitload of differential work and have them set it up.

That's just me though. I think throwing parts back in is rolling the dice.

No matter what if that metal was in the oil, it was churning through the gears and bearings and whatnot.

And a car like this. I'd run a spool all day. Yes on the street too.

If it were me, because I absolutely hate doing things like this over again, I'd replace the gears, since you're considering a new ratio anyway, and I'd throw in a new bearing kit. I'd take it to a shop that specializes or you know does a shitload of differential work and have them set it up.

No matter what if that metal was in the oil, it was churning through the gears and bearings and whatnot.

I agree I have a spool in mine no problems on the street

Well, I’ve chalked it up to driver error on what originally happened. Should be dropping off the gear set, third member and bearings here in an hour or so. Housing is all cleaned out.

One axle bearing upon closer inspection is able to slide in and out of the retaining plate a considerable amount. So it’s basically getting all new stuff in the rear end, and it’ll get a good bit of break in miles before it sees any sort of heavy throttle

Well, I’ve chalked it up to driver error on what originally happened. Should be dropping off the gear set, third member and bearings here in an hour or so. Housing is all cleaned out.

One axle bearing upon closer inspection is able to slide in and out of the retaining plate a considerable amount. So it’s basically getting all new stuff in the rear end, and it’ll get a good bit of break in miles before it sees any sort of heavy throttle
So what was the error again? Did you hit a curb or something?

-
Back