Finished! Brutal 'Cuda

-
Hey Folks,

Now I know why a good paint job costs so much, the prep is a pain.

Nates68

:thumbup: people used to look at me like I was from another planet when I'd say how much I wanted for a paint job, but it takes so much time to do things right and I'm not the type to halfass anything. All your pain will be worth it.

Yeah, there was tons of money, wrappers, some tools under that seat. It was like a time capsule.

I found a Texaco receipt for 40 cents per gallon from a prior owner and a letter from the guy's parole officer.

$1000???? <head explodes>

Bought mine rust free in West Texas for $350. It wasn't running or it would have gone for twice that. To be fair that was probably going rate for 20 year old cars back in 1989. Looked about like this but with stock 4" bolt circle steel wheels and no hub caps.

Attachments

• Round Rock 1998.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,419
Got the garage booth built, paint from SPI should arrive mon. or tues. Added some lights on the sides of booth. The next pics should be stuff with paint on it! Going to start with the pieces first (hood, fenders, etc..) Can't wait!

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_9724.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • IMG_9725.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,371
OK as promised, here's the doors interior side. SPI single stage black, DeVilbiss plus gun. That gun really gets it out there. I know that some people want to paint everything in the orientation that it is going to be on the car (you can lay it on thick when it's flat, vs. the fenders and quarters can run or sag, but this is jet black, non-metallic and I am going to color sand it, so it should all match and look like glass in the end.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_9793.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_9818.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_9819.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,373
OK as promised, here's the doors interior side. SPI single stage black, DeVilbiss plus gun. That gun really gets it out there. I know that some people want to paint everything in the orientation that it is going to be on the car (you can lay it on thick when it's flat, vs. the fenders and quarters can run or sag, but this is jet black, non-metallic and I am going to color sand it, so it should all match and look like glass in the end.

Nates68

Don't forget the black on the inside of the car below the rear seat door panels! My painter did not realize that needed to be painted, had to go back after. Luckily he had not gotten to the outside of the car yet. He did do the upper trim panels. Here is a picture on a Notchback, Fastback has a similar panel on the bottom, it is part of the car structure.

Here is a link to a few pictures of Jeff Ramin's car of the area below the door panel and the trim panels. If you go to his website the July 2002 thread discusses panel installation order gotcha he ran into on the fastback:
http://www.jefframin.org/quarterRegulatorPlastic.jpg
http://www.jefframin.org/leftRearIntPanels.jpg
http://www.jefframin.org/quarterRegulatorPanel.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04028.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,325
Got it! Actually sprayed the entire inside of the car. A waste of paint but I feel better knowing it's ALL black. Now it looks like a cave inside there, a shiny one.

Nates68

Here's some more progress. It turned out OK. I have some runs, sags, trash to deal with but I can deal with it. Nothing some color sanding can't fix, which I planned on doing all along. The last pic. shows some of the orange peel.
The black just looks mean!

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,231
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,267
Wow it really looks nice... I hope if my painter ever gets off his *** and sprays mine Black, I hope it looks as good.

Got the fenders painted, trunk too. Working on some chassis reinforcement, aka. j bars or forward strut bars. I should have done it earlier in the build but oh well. Need to attach to top of shock tower and box it -or- fill the gap where the space is between the shock upper mount and inner fender is. I'm sure a search will give me some ideas.

Thanks!
Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,171
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,204
Some more progress, was a real pain painting around the bars. Ended up welding a short section of square tubing with a plate on the bottom to the upper portion of the shock towers for a cleaner look.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,083
Went to the Good Guys show here in WA. It was inspiring and frustrating at the same time. Some of the cars were so nice, they must have an unlimited budget it seems. But I will drive my car to places without it being in a trailer and have more fun not going to shows with it.

Nates68

Hey updating here. So I started to wetsand 1500,2000 then Meguiars 105, 205. Looked great,real shiny, but had bad urethane wave on the large flat surfaces. Basically looked like cottage cheese (for lack of a better term) when you looked at it from an angle . So I blocked it out with a hard long block w/ 800 wetsand. Then 1200 wet long block (a few times to get the 800 scratches out, ugh) and onto the previous sanding drill. Man this is way too much work and the sandpaper is costing a fortune! I mean it really sucks. But... the front fender and door is an absolute mirror and flat as can be!

So started the hood and well, it's junk. I layed the paint on too heavy and didn't let it outgas enough between coats. So when I blocked it out with the 800 guess what showed up?
Thousands of tiny pinholes, not sure if it's called solvent pop but I will have to sand it and repaint. Not so bad since it's single stage. I will get a pic so you can see what I mean. I was pretty frustrated but at least it can be fixed so there it is.
Did I mention that a good bodyman is worth the $.

Nates68

Color me impressed! Love the spoiler, gonna show it to my body man. Keep up the good work!

Hi Nate, My body guy was wondering if you had any pics of the spoiler pieces before they went on? Then maybe after they were tacked in place? Let me know and keep up the good work!

Great project and nice work.

If I was ever going to build another A-body, it would be a 68 FB in that color. Good choice.

On the spoiler question,the spoiler trunk section is 6 pieces: Top left, bottom left, left end cap, same for right. Quarter panel sections are 4 pieces: top, bottom, and inside and outside end caps. Everything is spot welded with what seemed like 100's of welds as I remember. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Here are a few more pics. You can see the pinhole solvent pop pics in the close up of the hood. I will have to sand and repaint it.
After talking to Southern Polyurethanes about it I should have waited waaay longer between coats. The solvents they use outgas slower than ppg, etc... Thing is, I didn't have that info on any of the paint specs from them so I shot it like any other paint :banghead:
Live and learn, but I was pretty frustrated at first.

Probably wont be updating for a bit as I will be wetsanding and buffing for a while.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_1479.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 823
-
Back