Finished! Brutal 'Cuda

-
Damn, I love 68 Barracudas. And yours looks like it will turn out to be a really sweet one too. I'll be watching this thread.

Talked to a friend of a friend that paints customs, hot rods, etc... does real nice work. Anyway he came out to my house to look at the car (hows that for service!) We got to talking and looks like I may shoot the engine bay, interior stuff, etc... and then move on to my engine, drivetrain stuff.

Once I get done crawling around the car working on stuff he will paint the outside. Anyone have some opinions on this? I would be cool to just have it done all at once but I can see his point.

Oh and I sanded/blocked the primer on the bumpers. They still need some work to get straight, I think chrome probably hides the factory stamping waves, and they are really pretty flexable. I think the brackets are way overkill for how thin the bumpers are.

nates68

I painted my whole car first... Worst decision of my life... If it was me I would primer the engine bay/interior or whole car. Then begin to build/mock up the drivetrain and interior. That way if you have to cut/drill/grind you don't lose ground and have to repaint anything. Once everything is ironed out then I would take it apart, send either the interior/engine bay for paint (or the whole thing for paint) and rebuild it. Then paint the exterior.

Nate, love your build, I'm doing something similar on about the same time frame, your just a couple of years ahead! I am planning on painting mine just like you talked about. Shoot all of the interior, jambs, and engine bay first in my garage. Put it about 75% together; i.e,drivetrain in, suspension in, rewire and plumbing, then take it over to a friends place and shoot it in his homemade-but-works-well booth. That way when it's done and shiny I don't have too long until I can take it out and play. I know myself well enough that as I get closer I am sure I will get a little "excited" to get it out on the road, quickly.

That's my .02

Have you picked a color out yet? I'm going with a dark green all over with black pearl above the body line, with most of the trim blacked out. Haven't decided on rims or bumpers yet.

I have pretty much decided that I will jam it, paint bay, etc... now myself. Then do the body later. I am thinking of a dark metallic grey with matte black trim, accents, maybe hood. I will have to use a pro for the body because of the metallic. I really like Loosenutz 67 dart.

OR.... I may go with a non-metallic and do it myself. I like black or orange.

nates68

man viper yellow with those black accents would rock--you flat out give me inspiration!!!!! Steve

Yeah, a local buddy painted his lemon twist with a bumble bee stripe and it looked pretty good. I'll put it on my short list. Nice thing about yellow is it hides bodywork. Not that I will have that problem, The block sanding is becoming obsessive. :confused::confused:

nates68

Found a deal on a used 80gal 2 stage compressor (see the cracked pulley), so now I have to build a cement pad next to the back of the garage and make a shed, run wiring, etc...
Also am starting on the basement man cave/home theater that I promised by Christmas, framing on up. So it's back to dividing my time between stuff.

However, I have been feeling pain in my lower abdomen, kinda like I got hit below the belt. Went to Doc. today and it's an inguinal hernia.:wack::sign10: Looks like surgery next week. May be a bit before I get some serious progress done. I will keep up here on any progress though.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_4621.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,529
Got through both surgeries, they did each side 1 week apart. It hurts, like a knife is stuck in my gut and vice grips squeezing my nads. Oxy. pain meds can only do so much. I was getting better from the 1st side and now a step back again. Anyway it may be a while before I post up anything interesting but I'm sure before long this surgery will be forgotten.

Nates68

Sorry to hear about the surgeries, going under the knife is never fun (ask me how I know). You'll be back at it sooner than later, though. Nice score on the compressor!

OK starting to get some stuff done again. Thanks all for the kind words on healing, still hurting a bit. Cleaned and powder coated the disc brake spindles, a-arms, and x-member. Man, degreasing the spindle was a chore!
That cast iron is like a grease sponge.

Planning on running either the cordoba 11 3/4 discs and an adapter plate w/ Wilwood caliper, or maybe a complete Wilwood setup. I am also going to run rear discs on the 8 3/4 and I would like the calipers to match at least in color and brand.

Maybe if I feel thrifty I will run factory '76 front calipers but the weight is hard to ignore.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_4816.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMG_4817.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_4818.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,256
Great job , its going to be a sweet ride.
Im finnishing up sheetmetal work on my 68. Its been 15 years coming.
I wish i could do my own powdercoating, nice touch.
I cant deside what color to paint mine. Im swinging toward black on black.
keep it up, look foward to more pics

Awesome ride! i like too see the kids getting involved in these projects...future Mopar nuts!
The spoiler looks amazing..plymouth should have hired you back in the day and made that a standard part of the body :thumrigh:

Long time no post.... Feeling better, 90% or so.

I poured a slab of cement behind the garage to put the compressor on. I will need to put a roof over it so since I'm doing that it will end up being a roof over the entire deck to make it useable (remember, western WA = Rain) Still need to run wiring too. I need to get this done so I can start painting the jambs, engine bay, etc... Taking advantage of the winter months so when it gets warm and rainy (vs cold and rainy) I can be good to go.

I'll post up something more interesting soon.

Nates68

Glad your back to nearly normal... get that roof built so we can see some more progress.

JOE

-
Back