First EVER run

-

mopar_nocar

Reaction score
went out to the track last nite. best time i ran in the cuda was a 15.59 @ 89mph.

best 60' was 2.2 seconds.

current set up:

318 .060 over
-302 heads w/360 valves ported @home.
340 Repro cam
stock exhaust manifold out thru 2" dual exhaust w/h-pipe
3.55 gears
stock converter

am in the ball park with what can be done with this set up or what?

sb

I think you can get a little more out of it with a slightly looser converter and maybe some headers, but thats a respectable time, no matter what anyone says. Its quick, but not blazing. Good numbers for the 318 and setup. Do you have the stock pistons? The time may be a little slower than it could be if you are running big valve 360 heads with the stock rotating assembly.

That will lower the compression even furthur and throw away valuable low end torque, which doesn't help your 60 ft time.

My 318 with stock bottom end and heads, Comp .440 lift cam, 4 bbl, manifold, 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust runs mid to high 15's with 2.76 gears in my Duster, so your time is in range, but it could be better. You could get down into the low 15's easy, depending on setup.

-Justin

its the stock pistons,rods and crank.

i'm running a 27" tire....and its a peg leg....that one wheel burnout is real impressive! lol!

best results came shifting out of first early (about 4500) and leaving the car in 2nd gear all the way to 5K or so and shifting into 3rd right before the traps.

sb

mopar_nocar said:
its the stock pistons,rods and crank.

i'm running a 27" tire....and its a peg leg....that one wheel burnout is real impressive! lol!

best results came shifting out of first early (about 4500) and leaving the car in 2nd gear all the way to 5K or so and shifting into 3rd right before the traps.

sb
Yeah, I run a 27" tire too, 235/70/15's to be exact. I shift at 4500 in each gear, as my cam is designed more for low end grunt. It has similar lift charactersitcs to the 340 cam, but the duration is a bit different.

What rear are you running? The stock piston will lower the compression to a very low level with the bigger valves, something like 7:3:1 without using a thinner head gasket or milling the heads. Did you pop the heads on with bigger valves, or was more machine work done to the heads/block? If you can get the compression up, you will regain some of the lost low end torque and drop the e.t. down some more.

Also, how is traction? Do you have any tire spin during the pass?

The 302 heads he is using are closed chambered 318 heads not 360 heads. The will raise compression a bit. He added 1.88 valves from a set of 360 heads to them. I think there is still a lot left in that combo with some tuning and maybe a few changes.

First thing I would do is add a set of 3.91s with a sure grip and get some 26" tall slick or M/T drag radials and swap in a good converter.

What are you running for a carb and intake ?

sounds like my dart before the big block, stock lower end stock tranny stock 2.73's a good carter 650 15.6's all day,then 77' 188's 360 heads milled down for comp. 727 with 3800 stall manual VB,8 3/4 4.56's 29x10 MT's 450-455 MP cam,650 demon,race mufflers 8pt cage,an no interior,glass hood an she was running 13.10's,then i put new KB's in the holes a 511-517comp cam an 750 DP holey nothing else she was running 12's then i pulled the motor an the Big Block whent in!

intake is a OLD holley street dominator. the carb is a 625 CFM Carter.

i have the 3.55 gears in a 8.25 rear end right now. i need a sure grip as i had quite a bit of tire spin on all but one of the passes.

when i built the engine i milled the deck to leave the pistons .020 in the hole, the heads are the small combustion chambers 'swirl ports.' i suppose i could have gone all the way to zero deck, but i was concerned with driving it on the street...

i ran 31* total timing, no bogs, no funny stuff on any of the runs, it does NOT like to pull past 5K, which could be heads or (more likely) cam and using stock exhaust manifolds and 2" exhaust!

i have the later model (lock up) type of tranny, convertor is definitely a limiting factor here. how much convertor could i get away with and maintain street manners? and where can one acquire one for a lock up type tranny?

3.91s might be a bit much for street use...i'm not sure about using them on a basically daily driver type car. when i drive it to work its a 20 mile one way mostly free way drive...3.55s have me turning about 3K to keep up with traffic...

btw, the car weighed in at 3350! its a fat little piggy!

I didnt even notice the exhaust. Headers and a good 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust will be the biggest gain. That intake isnt the best choice either. If you want a good jump in power with out killing street manners I would pick up a stock 340/360 spreadbore intake and have Demon Sizzler build you a Thermoquad and do the exhaust. That cam should be fine for the combo.

Finding a good quality converter for a lock up trans may be a chore without spending a lot of cash.

AdamR said:
I didnt even notice the exhaust. Headers and a good 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust will be the biggest gain. That intake isnt the best choice either. If you want a good jump in power with out killing street manners I would pick up a stock 340/360 spreadbore intake and have Demon Sizzler build you a Thermoquad and do the exhaust. That cam should be fine for the combo.

Finding a good quality converter for a lock up trans may be a chore without spending a lot of cash.

Isn't that 340 repro cam a little mild though? Could the guy use a CompCams XE268 and get a little more balls out of that motor?

I think the 340 cam is plenty for what hes doing. I bet with a good set up he could get low 14s with it.

That's so awesome that you ran it! I'd love to take my Duster out to the track, but a stock slant 6 wouldn't run nice numbers at all. I'm envious!

mopar_nocar said:
went out to the track last nite. best time i ran in the cuda was a 15.59 @ 89mph.

current set up:

318 .060 over
340 Repro cam
3.55 gears
stock converter

sb

My first trip too!

Lunati VooDoo cam
455/475 lift
pretty much stock converter
30 over flat top pistons
stock bottom
Edelbrock rpm heads
Proffesional Products dual plane intake
725cfm Road Demon carb
TTI headers
2.25 exhaust w/ Dynomax mufflers
8.75 rear
3.55 gears
mini spool

1/8 mile time
73 mph
don't have the 60 foot time with me but I'll post it when I get home.
I WANT MORE!!!!!

mopar_nocar said:

current set up:

318 .060 over
340 Repro cam
3.55 gears
stock converter

sb
Add only a sure-grip and leave the rest alone (well maybe one other change - up the timing to 34* total mechanical). If you keep doing burnouts with a peg leg you will soon need one anyway - and maybe more!!

A very respectable run with your set up. :thumbup:
What kind of gas milage do you get?

fwiw. i ran a 15.0 1/4 and a 9.7 1/8th mile with a peg leg 2.76 and a stock converter my first time out, 3200ft d/a. Some of you guys need to get to tunin! lol

This was ran with the fuel cutting out at the 1000ft and fightin the air. - yet to get back to the track. :thumbup: 3600lb race weight.

D/A - 5200ft
Reaction Time- .004 - Pro-Tree
60 foot- 1.9
330'-5.7
1/8th Mile- 8.9
MPH-75.7
1000'-11.7
1/4-14.0
MPH-95.3

Build - Engine

Cubic Inches: 323 (318 .030)
N/A, Forced Induction (Pounds), Nitrous (HP Shot): N/A
Cylinder Heads (Aluminum, Cast, Ported, etc): Stock port 2.02 J-heads
Compression Ratio: 9.7:1
Cam (Hyd/Solid/Roller - Specs): Hyd Comp Cam, .480lift/280duration
Intake Manifold: Performer RPM
Carb/E.F.I: 650cfm Thunder AVS - Edelbrock
Exhaust: Dynomax Headers - 3" Cutouts
Ignition: MSD 6A, Blaster Coil, Heli-core Wires

Transmission

Type: (904, 727, 4speed, etc): 904
Shift Kit: TransGo TF-2 - Soon Turbo Action Forward Manual Valve Body
Torque Converter (Brand/Stall/Size): 9 1/2" Dynamic. 3,500rpm/3,900rpm Flash Footbrake

Rear

Size (8 1/4, 8 3/4, Dana, etc): 8 3/4"
Gear Ratio: 3.91
Differential: Clutch Sure-Grip

Suspension/Tires

Spring Style (Cal-Traks, S/S, Stock): Super Stock
Shocks: Summit Adj Drag Shocks
Tire Size: 26x10x15 on 15x7 wheels
Tire Type (Radial, Drag Radial, Slick):Slick - ET Drag

Suregrip, headers, 3.55s, 2 1/4 exhaust, in that order is your best bang for buck, and still be streetable, in my opinion. Hows your suspension? You might want to make some adjustment there also. Mike

What was your tire pressure? If you did a lot of spinning out of the hole you might want to run a little less tire pressure. A front end alignment with 0 toe will help some too.

mopar_nocar said:

current set up:

318 .060 over
340 Repro cam
3.55 gears
stock converter

sb

I ran 15.3-15.4 consistently in 69 with my 318 dart
Edelbrock with 650 holley
Dual exhausts with no headers (basically same as yours)
3:91's (This may help)
4 speed

Held track record at Suffolk COunty Raceway for 4 years 69 - 72

Longgone said:
What was your tire pressure? If you did a lot of spinning out of the hole you might want to run a little less tire pressure. A front end alignment with 0 toe will help some too.

You'll want zero toe at full throttle. Once you goose it from a dead stop, weight kicks back. Giving you negative toe, so if you got that serious, you'd want your alignment done with the front end's weight lifted up a inch or so.

Congratulations Shawn.

I will bring the airtank with me next time and we'll let some air out of that puppy. If that doesn't work, we will take the MT's off the Dart and see if they will fit yours.

I know you don't want headers on it. How about finding some 340 manifolds?
Maybe some 2.5" exhaust with an "X" or "H" pipe? I'll bet that, a suregrip and MT's will get you into the 14's.

You sure smoked my 16.9 sec duster. LOL.

hey guys thanks for all the tips.

i don't really want to put too much more $$$ into it, at least not towards racing only...SO sure grip will be #1 on the wish list. if i had it when i did the original set up, it would be in there already.

headers for early a bodies = big $$$, so i'll have to manage with what i have. i may eventually go with 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust, only because i am NOT thrilled with the workmanship that was done for my puny 2" set up.

my suspension is all new stuff. i have .89 torsion bars and new leafs from JCW. everything under the front end is new stuff, and i am running the dreaded F-body front spindle with 11.75" rotors off an M body.

i think a stock slant should put u in the 19-21 second range depending on your gear ratio. with some tuning low 18s are possible. at least that is my best guess. others will chime in with better info, i'm sure.

sb

mopar_nocar said:

current set up:

318 .060 over
340 Repro cam
3.55 gears
stock converter

sb
Watch out for rice!! :sleepy3:

-
Back