FiTech EFI system

-
so how big is this fuel command center thing? that thing looks like a mess. where are you mounting that abortion? i'd spend the money for an in tank set up before i put that thing under my hood.

From what I've seen it doesn't seem like its all that big. I know while doing some research I stumbled across a Corvette forum post where a guy just used the brackets where his charcoal canister use to be. Also, saw something on one of the car shows on velocity where they used a Holley version of the same system. It tucked away nicely on the car they were working on.

With that said I would like to see where guys are installing these on A-Bodies

i agree i'd like to see them installed. so far there the installation pictures posted suck.

that thing is still just added clutter in my opinion. do it right the first time and use a proper tank with a pump in it.

From what I've seen it doesn't seem like its all that big. I know while doing some research I stumbled across a Corvette forum post where a guy just used the brackets where his charcoal canister use to be. Also, saw something on one of the car shows on velocity where they used a Holley version of the same system. It tucked away nicely on the car they were working on.

With that said I would like to see where guys are installing these on A-Bodies

post 143, if you are interested in how it fits in an early a.

Not any room left to tuck away. Battery is in the trunk, windshield washer bottle is hidden under the fender support and rad overflow is hidden under the other fender. Had no where else to put the fuel command center. LOL

But it sure works nice. ( happy face ) Especially starting cold and not touching anything while it warms up.. Going to try to run it throughout the winter, every couple of weeks or so and see how it performs at -10 to -15 Celcius. Only drive it when the roads are dry and without salt on them..

attachment.php

thats what i thought. no way would i be running that thing under my hood. so wortht eh money to put it all in the tank in my opinion. that thing looks like an after thought. glad it works nice for ya though.

The FCC is a lot smaller than I thought but I agree I was not happy about installing in the engine compartment.
That said I found a way to mostly hide mine; will post pics soon.....:eek:)

I don't think I'd want a fuel tank in the front, of any kind.

Be like driving a pinto around in reverse....

Guess you never had a drag car with a fuel cell in front that goes 135 mph or a street/race car with an inline fuel cooler then.......lol No biggie to me!

I think the tanks inc. fuel injected tank would be the way to go, just add their fuel pump and the cost is not that much more thanb the fuel command. and it would be a lot cleaner install.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ct_id=480/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd480.htm

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=227/mode=prod/prd227.htm

This is probably the way to go. Price difference is only $45, plus you might be able to recoup some money from your old gas tank and sender and fuel pump. (I know I could because all of that is less than a year old! :banghead:)

No need for a regulator either, since the system has a built in regulator on the throttle body.

If you saw the construction on the command center you'd be surprised.
I agree that i would also prefer an in tank pump, but the command center is just an option for the guy that doesn't want a fuel cell, or sump, or to drop the tank, or run a frame rail pump.

We sell plenty of these.
UNIVERSAL ELECTRIC EFI INLINE FUEL PUMP | BOSCH 044 STYLE | AN-10 INLET | AN-8 OUTLET

BUT the initial shock of "really...a gas tank up front...." goes away when you hold the thing. It feels like a .750 inch wall piece of round billet aluminum. and it's not nearly as big as you'd think...the bottom portion isn't much bigger than a soda can.

View attachment 20151209_145706.jpg

Last edited:
I think the main reason behind command center was to be able to easily
Install EFI without having to run anther fuel line for return. Although it does need a vent ran back to the tank. The command center only holds about a quart of fuel, a carberater has about half of that amount in the float bowl? No reason you can't hide it either.

The fuel pressure on both of the low and hi gauges read 0. It just wasn't getting any gas.

Gotcha, sounds like more a supply problem from your fuel pump to the command center pump then?

Can the command center be mounted in the trunk?

In my opinion, not a good "plan." NHRA mandates a sealed firewall between trunk and passenger compartment for rear battery / fuel cell. Can you spell "Pinto?"

TFD0742.jpg

I think the tanks inc. fuel injected tank would be the way to go, just add their fuel pump and the cost is not that much more thanb the fuel command. and it would be a lot cleaner install.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ct_id=480/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd480.htm

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=227/mode=prod/prd227.htm

I agree with this. The CC is a great option for those that want simplicity, and I'm glad they thought enough of those people to offer it, they even have the external kit which really seems like they care about the customers needs, I like that. But in all honesty with less than $100 difference I personally think the CC is really ugly and would get the in-tank.
The aeromotive also is a great option for some people, but I think it's way over priced. Spend almost $500 then start cutting an old tank, forget it, for the same money you can buy a whole new tank and pump kit. I am getting the FiTech system, just not the CC.

And as always, to each there own.

I put my car together over 12 years.. EFI was the last thing I did.. Really didn't want to put another new fuel tank in, modify the trunk and on and on. Might have done a lot of things differently if I did it again.

With no garage available anymore, I was able to install the efi and the command center, in 2 evenings, with minor tools, in my apartment parking lot.

And with the way it performs, it was a win for me.

And as always, to each there own.

I put my car together over 12 years.. EFI was the last thing I did.. Really didn't want to put another new fuel tank in, modify the trunk and on and on. Might have done a lot of things differently if I did it again.

With no garage available anymore, I was able to install the efi and the command center, in 2 evenings, with minor tools, in my apartment parking lot.

And with the way it performs, it was a win for me.

This is also true. I wonder if the command center could be "hidden" in between the grill and the support.

they should have called it the flux capacitor......looked better under the hood of the Delorean . Might have just mixed up star trek and back to the future:burnout:

3422030057_2bf49600d1.jpg

The best summary of the pinto, IMO.

The command center really is a bit smaller than I thought. The pop can is good perspective.

That said, I don't think any EFI surge/sub tank on the street compares to any front-tank racer. Not many jerkwads pulling out in front of you in a 1/4 mile speed test.

Of course, I'm not a big fan of the whole FItech thing. If I were to go EFI, it would have to be port injection.

But, as noted, the command center thing is better than I originally thought.

Its filling a niche of FI for driveway mechanics on a budget and sounds like it works pretty well, certainly better than some of the $2K+ big name systems. Its still cheaper to install factory multi port system. Factory might be a bit more if you figure in flash/tuner to make up for non computer friendly cam but a better system.
I would be skeptical of the electronics of the system sitting on top of hot manifold but time will answer that question.

Lots of these systems have come and gone in last 20 years, holley pro-jection(sucked!!) and lets not forget Edelbrock Proflow injection, worked pretty well if you are a retired nasa computer programming engineer. Accel was problematic. GM TB crap was just that, GM crap. Worked but not for any real performance.

I still think the factory Magnum multi port is one of the best systems going and with tuning, well capable of big HP numbers, cheaper than anything,replacment parts at 7-11 and great MPG if built right. Easily obtainable for $200, throw in a harness for $700 and they both need a fuel pump so I think the cost is very similar.

Keep us informed of long term testing guys. I would be interested in any MPG figures you might have just for morbid curiosity

I still think the factory Magnum multi port is one of the best systems going and with tuning, well capable of big HP numbers, cheaper than anything,replacment parts at 7-11 and great MPG if built right. Easily obtainable for $200, throw in a harness for $700 and they both need a fuel pump so I think the cost is very similar.

That's what I'm putting in my Dart ;-)

Is this an option for the LA engine, or only the magnums? Is there a thread on it, I searched to no avail.

-
Back