Flexplate is not fits the torque converter

-
Something is wrong here.
Is this vibration present with vehicle stationary, transmission in neutral, and rpm raised steady above idle (holding RPM steady at 2500 or 3000)?
Are you sure this is a 5.9L engine and not a 5.2L engine?

Dam, u have bad luck. I just looked back at ur first post. Im pretty sure that is not a Saturday Night Special unless they changed the core to an 091. They used to be a 764 core that fit the smaller bolt pattern. Call TCI or maybe @transman will see this and comment on them. Kim

Last edited:
Did u ever post pics of the numbers on the motor, the rear of the crank and the front balancer? Post some up. Kim
I've checked some time ago the front dumper, this is what installed and it came with an engine. I'll make a photo of the crankshaft later.

MOP P5007187AB

DAMPER, MAGNUM 5.9 EXT BALANCE NO PULLEY

OEM EXTERNAL BALANCE FOR 93-03 5.9L MAGNUM ENGINES

Here comes the magnum balanced plate, made by hueghes engine
B8446E1F-A4CD-4A8C-A14E-3E62468B62D3.jpeg

Hi
small update, looks like I have to close this thread. The flexplate (Magnum balanced, exactly I needed) installed but the vibration has not gone. Sparks replaced with the new ones, "old" new-previous ones replaced. Compression is the same in all 8 cylinders. Action plan - make more photo, shoot the video of the vibration, post another thread with the help needed.

why some sparks have the difference "color"? it's normal?
upload_2020-10-12_19-26-13.png

Transmission is TCI-111100, motor is magnum 360 5,9l (from Cherokee), intentions are simple - to have the project finished and the car running. no tuning, mods, just running. Maybe later I'll want from the car more :)
Just for giggles, what year is the engine??

It's stated that it's from Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1998 (the only year of Magnum 5.9 installed to this car)

and what means "giggles"? and why?

The plugs are different colors because some are running rich and some lean...causing a misfire...Pull the plug wires out of the cap one at a time with the engine running to see which ones don't cause an idle drop. Maybe pull two right next to each other and alternate them (connect/disconnect). Then remove the plugs keeping them in order, and see if the ones with the whitest insulators are from the cylinders that didn't cause an idle drop. And check the cap to make sure nobody cracked it against the firewall when they removed the trans.

Last edited:
The plugs are different colors because some are running rich and some lean...causing a misfire...Pull the plug wires out of the cap one at a time with the engine running to see which ones don't cause an idle drop. Maybe pull two right next to each other and alternate them (connect/disconnect). Then remove the plugs keeping them in order, and see if the ones with the whitest insulators are from the cylinders that didn't cause an idle drop. And check the cap to make sure nobody cracked it against the firewall when they removed the trans.
Done! Checked step by step each plug, removing the wire causing rpm drop, so all running properly. Today will disconnect the fan and the front dumper, will check if it will change anything.

Hi! another question! if the flex plate is balanced, and torque converter is self balanced, does it matter to position TC vs the flexplate? the stock ATP-Z332 - have one hole moved a bit (that's why it's require hole extension), I'm wondering why? if the ATP-Z332 have it's own weights to balance the crankshaft why it's so important to position it vs the torque conv that in that case should have neutral balance?

In theory it doesn’t matter. But the converter has the 1 offset bolt hole/pad. The flexplate was built to fit it. Dodge has had the offset from 1962 or even b4. External balance never came about till 1971 on the 360 LA. Big block 400 in 1972 440 in 1973. Kim

thanks a lot! is there a way to identify for 100% the casting, if it's magnum? or the crankshaft - looks like before mine ownership, previous owner could swap the crankshaft from magnum to 360 LA, any hints?

PHOTO-2019-11-29-20-34-52.jpg
PHOTO-2019-11-28-19-19-33.jpg
PHOTO-2019-11-28-19-20-01.jpg

Last edited:
There is numbers on both sides of the block and along the oil pan rail on the passenger side. Also under the drivers side head on the block. Post those pics Or the numbers. Kim

BTW, outstanding document about torque convertors, Chrysler

Attachments

• Chrysler.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
There is numbers on both sides of the block and along the oil pan rail on the passenger side. Also under the drivers side head on the block. Post those pics Or the numbers. Kim
one number I can share already -53020006-360.

Hi, small update.
I've changed the torque converter for 10 inch bolt circle, flexplate also changed to "stock" ATP-Z332 with the one hole extension. As the result - vibration became significantly lower, looking at an engine you'll never notice that. but, it's still there. on the parking mode - it's minimum, in drive - it's almost zero, on the road - in the middle rpm it's noticeable. So, right now I have stock front damper, stock flexplate, but still vibration. My next move could be to remove an engine and to balance the crankshaft and the damper and the flexplate and the torque converter all together.

If the engine was bored and pistons changed u could very well have a balance issue. Who knows what may be lurking inside. Does the front dampner/pulley have a bolt on weight? Kim

Hi, finally I've rebuild my engine, all the parts are new, the crankshaft is balanced with heavy iron, now I don't need any balanced flexplates :) works well now!.

-
Back