• Mix (explain how)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m looking for opinions on shop floor drains. My initial plan was using 4 12x12 basin drains (marked by the red circles) but I’ve been debating if I’d be better off doing two long trench drains (blue) or maybe a trench drain on the right and the basins on the left. For a little more info on the planned layout of the shop the top right corner will likely be where I park my truck, so I’ll definitely want a drain in that area. I’ll be installing a 2-post lift (yellow) and don’t want any type of drain directly under it for any spilled oil to run into or to interfere with the wheels of a oil drain pan or engine hoist which is why I have the basin and/or trench drain stopping short of the lift. I would still slope the lift area floor toward the drain, that way if I want to wash out the underside of a vehicle on the lift, it’d drain out.
For the left side of the shop, I’ll also eventually be buying a movable 4 post lift which will probably be in the top left section of the picture and a rotisserie in the bottom left corner. Any body/paint work I do will likely be in the bottom left corner as well, so having a drain there will be nice to be able to wet the floor down before painting to keep dust to a minimum.
I did already buy the basin drains but have been having second thoughts and may take those back.
Thoughts?

18B539AA-15B4-4C99-A126-260168D0757A.jpeg

Whatever you do, make sure the floor slopes toward the drain

We get Winters here, and it is not unusual for me to pull a car into the garage, covered in snow

In a few hours, that melts and fall on the floor
Now, I have one drain, pretty much dead center under the car, BUT some of the floor slopes away from it and the water as it melts runs all over the place, instead of into the drain...drives me crazy

While I got your attention, is Mas Kitchen still around (do I even remember the name correct ?)
You remember my story, how I ordered the 16 Oz country fried stake, and they were out so they brought me two 12s
That place

Whatever you do, make sure the floor slopes toward the drain

We get Winters here, and it is not unusual for me to pull a car into the garage, covered in snow

In a few hours, that melts and fall on the floor
Now, I have one drain, pretty much dead center under the car, BUT some of the floor slopes away from it and the water as it melts runs all over the place, instead of into the drain...drives me crazy

While I got your attention, is Mas Kitchen still around (do I even remember the name correct ?)
You remember my story, how I ordered the 16 Oz country fried stake, and they were out so they brought me two 12s
That place
Yeah I’d definitely wanna make sure the slope is right.

I’m guessing you’re talking about granny’s kitchen. It closed several years ago, became “Dad’s Restaurant” that place was a wreck. Once they closed, a couple from Nashville put a restaurant in there called Vicki’s. That place is AMAZING! All made from scratch food. I have yet to order something that wasn’t delicious!

Here’s another option I’m thinking of. Trench drain inside the doors and slope the first 20’ toward the door and leave the rest of the floor flat.

0CF62151-5C14-4993-95A9-D40640ECF0A7.jpeg

I just can't picture this. What do you plan to do in your garage in the middle of winter (only time it freezes in KY). I live in Washington State (think same latitude as Maine). When you pour the floor, pour an apron at least far enough so there is no joint under the door seal by 6 inches and then you can sweep the water right out. I've never had a seal freeze to the floor on either of my shop doors.

Recommend painting the floor with epoxy paint as soon as the floor is REALLY finished drying. Keeps water from soaking into the floor (as well as oil, grease, trans fluid, etc.).

Just my opinion- two drains each one just inside the rollup doors for melting snow and car wash down. Sloped, no trench. No drains by work area's as I have already lost too many sockets and nuts /bolts.

I’d be concerned with it freezing at the door and risk damaging the seal when the door opens.
As long as the floor doesn't have a notch for the garage door, you'll be fine. With a notch, water collects there and will freeze the door down.

I met with the concrete contractor this evening to go over options and here’s what we came up with. We’ll be putting a trench drain (blue) in 15’ from the doors and 6’ from either side wall. The first 30’ of the shop will all drain toward the drain, the remainder of the shop will be flat. He also has a 40x60 shop and he later his out very similar, other than he did his drain at 20’ and sloped the first 40’ and left the remaining 20’ flat and he really likes it laid out that way.

623E5120-800E-4C50-B58B-287385FDC5D4.jpeg

Whatever you do.

DO NOT PUT IN DRAINS!

Reason being.
You will have to clean them out.
Lose tools in drains or the dropped nuts etc.
Crappy grate to cross with vehicles etc.
Bent grate and tripping hazard.
Kids trikes cant cross.
Stagnant water
Smell of rotting debris.
Sweeping garage floor makes a hurdle.
Creeper can't roll over.
Uneven floor.
Cracking cement at drain edges
Cold draft in winter.

Many people who have built a garage around here and put a drain in end up filling it in 10 years later.
If you spend the money on a few extra loads of gravel to get the shop floor above street/road level, water will naturally drain out of shop/garage. Long term make your life easier.

I can't understand why it's a trend to put a make work program in your garage.

1) Where are these drains leading?
2) What is Your topographical elevation vs the nearest large waterway or reservoir?
3) What are the building codes there concerning this? Where I'm at in PA, code banned "in shop" drains, over 2 decades ago.

1) Where are these drains leading?
2) What is Your topographical elevation vs the nearest large waterway or reservoir?
3) What are the building codes there concerning this? Where I'm at in PA, code banned "in shop" drains, over 2 decades ago.
1) The drains will either be going to daylight with one-way caps on them, or going to a dry well.
2) We’re about a mile from a watershed lake.
3) I spoke to the plumbing inspector and building inspector, only building code I need to adhere to is minimum of 10’ from property lines and the bathroom plumbing needs inspected. Everything else is free game.

-
Back