Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Hope to see this at a show sometime soon. Where are you located in Ontario?
Ya. I used to think that car shows really wouldn’t be my thing. But I really like hearing stories about the cars etc. I’ll have to search some up, once I get her home. I’m from a small town a few hours north of Toronto. Near Coboconk

Judging by the vin and build date it appears to have been a pretty late build. Nice job getting the car back. How was the frame rails and torsion bar cross member after all of that time?

Judging by the vin and build date it appears to have been a pretty late build. Nice job getting the car back. How was the frame rails and torsion bar cross member after all of that time?
Thanks :). Ya, it was a late build that year, so it has the blue 340 engine….which I think is pretty rare. They changed plants that year and switched from orange engines to blue, apparently. I think it will look pretty nice with the blue engine in the blue car
It needed new frame rails and floor pans

6FA37679-55A2-4FD4-9A46-2C71150563F9.jpeg

461B2709-8CDF-4A04-8B83-FC129F2AB25F.jpeg

FFE1D52F-DF80-47AB-B51B-60D5B3A46B85.jpeg

Welcome to FABO from SoCal.
Outstanding story! So glad you were finally able to get your dad's Duster back in the family.
More pics please.

Glad the idiot *** let it set outside. What a dick. Yes I’m in a bad mood today. Very happy for you. Doin a great job.

The Twister package came with a slant 6 or a 318.
Welcome to the site.
Ya, I thought that’s what I read somewhere. Weird that they weren’t offered on the 340 cars. I’m not sure when they were added, but I love the look of them, so they will be going back on the car…..even if they weren’t original

Ya, I thought that’s what I read somewhere. Weird that they weren’t offered on the 340 cars. I’m not sure when they were added, but I love the look of them, so they will be going back on the car…..even if they weren’t original
Maybe installed at the dealer? Dealer installed options didn't hurt the GSS cars that's for sure. Love the look of them.

Does the hood have the holes and seals?

Hey all! Just joined this forum. I’ve been using it for infuriation for a few months (…) Lol. I meant to write *information*
It can provide plenty of both.

Welcome here. That Hydro guy sounds like an obnoxious, thoughtless dillweed; good job getting the car away from him.

Maybe installed at the dealer? Dealer installed options didn't hurt the GSS cars that's for sure. Love the look of them.
That’s a good point. Maybe they were installed at the dealer! I think they definitely add to the cars looks

It can provide plenty of both.

Welcome here. That Hydro guy sounds like an obnoxious, thoughtless dillweed; good job getting the car away from him.
Haha. Thank you!
I should add to this…that the guy I bought it from is actually a very nice person, once he let his guard down. He just had some sort of strong attachment that wouldn’t allow him to part with it. He obviously had no intentions of ever parting it out, or he would have done it over the past 25 years. I was very upset at him back then and initially again when I contacted him this latest time. He is very guarded, but once I went to his house to introduce myself etc, he let his walls down a bit. He told me stories of seeing the car driving down the road in the years before he bought it. Maybe at some point he imagined fixing it up for himself.
I’m actually going to drive to his house and take him for a ride in it once it’s done. I think that’ll be kind of cool too

Does the hood have the holes and seals?
Oh sorry. I didn’t understand the question. I just googled some stuff on them. I meant that the scoops were drilled through the hood, so those holes were there for the bolts. The hood has no holes or gaskets for air to enter. They are just for looks. Non functioning

Haha. Thank you!
I should add to this…that the guy I bought it from is actually a very nice person, once he let his guard down. He just had some sort of strong attachment that wouldn’t allow him to part with it. He obviously had no intentions of ever parting it out, or he would have done it over the past 25 years. I was very upset at him back then and initially again when I contacted him this latest time. He is very guarded, but once I went to his house to introduce myself etc, he let his walls down a bit. He told me stories of seeing the car driving down the road in the years before he bought it. Maybe at some point he imagined fixing it up for himself.
I’m actually going to drive to his house and take him for a ride in it once it’s done. I think that’ll be kind of cool too

I guess that makes some sense. He bought it because of an emotional attachment and the "idea" that he wanted to fix it and drive himself, so not something he would just give up on and flip. And the "I am going to part it out" was just his way to put you off so you stopped asking.

Thanks for telling the story! If you can, scan the photos that you have of the car back in the day and include them...

Last edited:
When it comes to how things could be ordered from Chrysler... never say never.

I hope to see your car at MoparFest this summer, in New Hamburg, Ontario - 1500 Mopars, no judging, no prizes, just a damned good time! August 17 & 18

I hope to see your car at MoparFest this summer, in New Hamburg, Ontario - 1500 Mopars, no judging, no prizes, just a damned good time! August 17 & 18
That sounds awesome! Not looking to enter it in contests, but something like that sounds amazing

-
Back