Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Given this was your Dads car I get the sense you are going to keep the car for many years? Sure there will be the things that will need to be fixed longer term based on the job the restoration shop did recently. I like your effort trying to get the car running now. Get it running and drive it around this summer. That will keep the flame going before figuring out how much body work it needs.

Since you’re going to be keeping the car, you really do need to get the factory service manuals (FSM) for your Duster. You can get them for free electronically or buy the hard copy version. Coming on here for the odd item is good but coming on here for every little item will be frustrating for you. We can keep catching the fish for you on items (but you’ll need to wait until peeps respond to your posts) or you can learn to fish so you’re self sufficient. Once you have the FSM, just flip through the chapters to get an idea of how your car is put together. Flip through it before even determining what you want to fix next. Then when you want to tackle something, all the info is there. Yeah it’s going to be intimidating at first but, considering you’re going to have the car for a while, you really should consider learning how to fish. Long term it will be the right thing and you will feel that much better after you’ve tackled the first few tasks.

I’m not saying you need to spend thousands of dollars on a tool chest and tools. Start with a quality socket set, multi-meter, floor jack, jack stands and screw drivers.

Honestly, you can do this! The FSM will instantly tell you how many volts your car is.
Yes, I’ll definitely be keeping the car and it will go to my kids one day. You’re right, I do need to get a manual on the car. I’ll definitely do this.
I already have lots and lots of tools….im a home builder (carpenter) by trade, so I’m a relatively handy guy. Thats what’s frustrating…..the fact that I don’t know much about cars etc at all. I’ll learn though. Thanks!

Thanks again! How do I buy this solid state unit?
I have several. Mine are 6V. If you PM me, I can fix you up with the regulator and a nice little heat sink too. The wiring diagram is found easily online. There are only three connections.

You can remove instrument cluster, join amp meter wires, and run the engine that way. Just make sure no other dash wires touch ground.

The scum bag shop might have amp meter wires on wrong studs behind dash.

You can remove instrument cluster, join amp meter wires, and run the engine that way. Just make sure no other dash wires touch ground.

The scum bag shop might have amp meter wires on wrong studs behind dash.
Oh that’s good to know! It was amazing to hear it run for those brief seconds! Which wires are the amp meter wires ? I’m going to try to take the dash out today. Thanks!

Oh that’s good to know! It was amazing to hear it run for those brief seconds! Which wires are the amp meter wires ? I’m going to try to take the dash out today. Thanks!
When working with the Ammeter wires......Make sure the battery is disconnected first. Both wires are Hot, and the black wire is NOT a ground. One of the wires comes from the starter relay, and the other comes from the alternator. When you take them off of the ammeter studs and join them, you are simply bypassing the ammeter. If you do this, bolt them together and insulate them really well.

Also, it is possible that the fusible link in the bulkhead connector may have been compromised. So, check that if you are still getting a no power issue.

These 2 books should cover what you're needing.

1719405260171.png

Hey guys. A little update. The body is bad in certain light and the paint had crazy swirl marks from sandpaper everywhere. It also had flat spots. I went to a local body shop, watched some videos and bought professional 2 stage polish, pads, sander, discs and a Milwaukee polisher with a quick connect. I got a little lesson on how to do it….and away I went. I have a background in cabinet making and building, so I wasnt going in totally blind. The results are pretty amazing. I had to wet sand twice with 1500 grit, once with 3000 grit, then cut polish twice and finally finish polish. Took me 2 long days, but here are the results. I also installed the stripes. Before and after pics- some anyway

IMG_0593.jpeg

IMG_0595.jpeg

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0615.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

-
Back