Freak hit and run today !

-
That is exactly what the regs say online . So if the tire never touches the ground no brake required … lol
But that is the point of a tag axle you put it down when your loaded and up when you're unloaded. They are operated by air and have an air bag suspension controlled by the driver.

And am I wrong about it being a front tire ?

I suspect that was an escapee from a tag axle. It's hard to believe a truck could continue to operate minus a front wheel but I've seen some seriously weird **** in 45 years of trucking. Tags and fronts are the only ones to get a sight window in the hub to check the axle lube. Any drive axle is a sealed unit with no window.

I once worked for a county transit bus company, and we had a bus lose a right front wheel before it even reached its first stop of the morning. My boss wanted that wheel back so bad they put a crew of people to walk along the highway for 4 hours to find it. Then they wanted every bus inspected for any others that may have problems. When I got to work that afternoon and heard the story I told him that I would only have inspected the 2 buses that were normally used to run that route and why you ask because it was a rural route that had minimal stops the average speed along this route was 50 mph and the only time they did wheel bearing service was when they did brakes needless to say the brakes for the 2 buses that ran this route would have brakes that last a long time. I told him going forward every bus should have the bearings serviced annually. They also kept horrible maintenance records and I had commented in the past about this. There work orders only showed that services were done, and all faults repaired so what was repaired. I also warned him the new hybrid buses we had would suffer the same problem because of their regenerative braking, even the manufacture of the buses stated that the brake would most likely last the life of the buses (10 years). I left that job shortly after that incident.

Very sorry to see that, but am glad no people, especially you, were hurt…I’ve seen some pretty terrible CCTV footage of people getting hit by a runaway like that. Hope you can get shined up again!

I believe that the reason why this happens is two fold, one, people simply don't care about the other person and last they don't have insurance. People are careless and uncaring

Your neighbor must have been going fast to total your truck, either way I hate that happened to your truck. Hope he had insurance.
Actually, she was backing out of her driveway. I was NOT directly across the street from their driveway. I was at least 3 car lengths up the street to be careful. I saw it happen. She backed out going way faster than was necessary, and she went back way farther than necessary. When I back out from anywhere, I back up carefully and only as far as I necessary to be able to stop and then drive forward. I watched her blast out of her driveway in reverse going way too fast, and she just kept going and going; way further than necessary. She hit my truck HARD right between the cab and bed with the right rear corner of her car. This was in about 2016. Her dogshit insurance company screwed me hard. They didn't care how nice it was, it was just a crappy little plain Jane, 18 year old, 4 cylinder truck to them. By the time I hired a lawyer to try and get more money, it would not have been worth it to me.

Actually, she was backing out of her driveway. I was NOT directly across the street from their driveway. I was at least 3 car lengths up the street to be careful. I saw it happen. She backed out going way faster than was necessary, and she went back way farther than necessary. When I back out from anywhere, I back up carefully and only as far as I necessary to be able to stop and then drive forward. I watched her blast out of her driveway in reverse going way too fast, and she just kept going and going; way further than necessary. She hit my truck HARD right between the cab and bed with the right rear corner of her car. This was in about 2016. Her dogshit insurance company screwed me hard. They didn't care how nice it was, it was just a crappy little plain Jane, 18 year old, 4 cylinder truck to them. By the time I hired a lawyer to try and get more money, it would not have been worth it to me.
Exactly what happened to a 65 Coronet 500 I had but it was a friend’s wife ! What a ***** she was ! She said I shouldn’t have had it parked there….

-
Back