Front seal pouring out.

-

Frank Mopar

Reaction score
Coming home from the track my trans (904) started pouring fluid out of the front so bad I was having to fill it to get off the thruway. My daughter was driving and I was pulling my trailer so I had fluid to get it going to nurse it home.

Swapped in a new seal and I didn’t think that was the problem but I put it back in and its still pouring out. This is in neutral only. Havent even put it in gear.

Thoughts?

If the bushing was bad I would think a drip long before it started pouring out. I have to take a close look at the snout. That makes a ton of sense. Thanks!

Its an aftermarket converter. 2500 stall. I bet it doesn't have 1000 miles on it but I bet the crap out of it so it could be cracked. Thanks

Common problem with a "off the shelf" low dollar converter. The snout will crack from the corner of the pump drive notch down to the weld. Only way to fix it is to have the pump drive (snout) replaced. Have a reliable converter shop install a quality pump drive.

I neglected to ask. What engine (year), and what year trans. If a 68 or newer engine, and 67 or older trans combination you need a adapter bushing or late size converter pilot to support the converter. Without the proper support the converter can "wobble" and ruin the pump bushing/seal/gear.
But to me it still sounds like a cracked hub.

1974 engine and the trans is a 999 converted to a non lock. Ill have to get the number off the trans to get the year but being a 999 it should be newer. I think. Engine and trans are not original to each other.

1974 engine and the trans is a 999 converted to a non lock. Ill have to get the number off the trans to get the year but being a 999 it should be newer. I think. Engine and trans are not original to each other.
That should be OK.
PS: When you look at the converter pump drive, if it is not obviously cracked, use a magnifier. First time it happened to me, the crack was very hard to find.

I had my 727 do that same thing many years ago. Oil came pouring out the bottom of the bellhousing after a pass at the track. It was a cracked converter hub. It was not visible to the eye. But I stuffed a rag in the conv snout to seal it up around an air hose and applied air pressure to it. It showed all kinds of bubbles coming out of a crack that started at the sharp corner on the drive tang.

Had the snout replaced and took care of it.

I had my 727 do that same thing many years ago. Oil came pouring out the bottom of the bellhousing after a pass at the track. It was a cracked converter hub. It was not visible to the eye. But I stuffed a rag in the conv snout to seal it up around an air hose and applied air pressure to it. It showed all kinds of bubbles coming out of a crack that started at the sharp corner on the drive tang.

Had the snout replaced and took care of it.
This, I was going to suggest pressurizing it.

-
Back