Gen 3 426 into aussie a body

-
:
Wasn't arguing just trying to clear up any confusion with what was released by MP. No need for the attitude.

OK...I misread your intent. I appreciate your clearing up the possible confusion.

Im just damn annoyed (with myself) because a lot of this thread has focussed on what I already knew - but I second guessed myself on what I read on another forum - thats why I said " can we move on" ..its polluting the OPs thread.

:)

Sorry, but I have to "pipe in" here a little, as the OP is wondering about the Gen3 426. Indy has their own little hyphen / number system they use -1, -2, -3 on a lot of their parts (blocks, heads, intakes), but they do not refer to the generation of Chrysler's engines. They refer to the different revisions of their parts (as best as I can figure it). I don't care for Indy as a company, so I could care less about learning their little system.

So Rat Patrol, I'm really curious what forum / post you read about the Mopar crate GEN3 426 being a different, outer dimension than the other Gen3s. They're just plain wrong, which I think is important for the OP to know.

Must add though, I think I read somewhere that the Apache head used on the Gen3 426 has a slightly different vertical dimension. I don't know that I'm convinced of that, but that's what someone was saying...

Unfortunately Chrysler Australia being the tight asses they were, decided to use the USA floor and firewall design in the RH drive Aussie units. This put the engine in the same place as you would find them in the US built cars. They then hung a steering box from the RH chassis rail because of clearance issues and not from the K frame like it should have been. Needless to say the chassis rail is prone to cracking where the box is mounted. I guess the right way to do this would be to offset the engine to the left hand side for better steering clearance, move the tunnel and the diff centerline to suit.
Sometimes you have to cut big holes in your floor when your building Mopars.

Attachments

• Transmod_001.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Transmod_002.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 194
Just to correct you here, the engine is not in the center of the engine bay. It is angled across the engine bay. To properly centre it you will need to cut the trans tunnel and also move the transmission over. Then change your diff center location if you want to keep everything in alignment.

Good point Bakerlite , having the engine centered does not necessarily put the whole engine in the center of the engine bay . However there is some room in the tunnel to get it close , or center with some creative clearancing , the RHD Big Block guys do it often .
Also the K set up I showed does have some adjustability , one should be able to find a happy compromise .
Alot depends on the trans you want to use .

HemiDenny .
First of I will say I was impressed on the quality and price of the HDK set up , and was considering this for my car , however as you state , the cost of importing puts it out of reach for some people .
Our RHD steering box mounts on the inside of the right chassis rail (picture )

Attachments

• P1020833.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 171
Yes Bakerlite I agree , Chrysler Australia ( who I guess was heavily controlled by Chrysler USA ) could have done the conversion so much better .

Nice beginings there, is that a NAG 1 you are using .

For the benefit of the US guys, the Aussie licensing rules are pretty strict so these sort of conversions generally need to be signed off by an engineer before they are allowed on the road. It really comes done to how far you want to go with the conversion and if you start to cot out the transmission crossmember or use after market front ends you just add to the complexity an cost of the licensing process so this is not for everybody.

Mo-cars, your mount setup looks really neat and I like the fact that it incorporates the spool mounts given that our cars only ever used the biscuit mounts from the factory. I'm certainly looking at keeping my swap as simple as possible so it looks like the way to go. With the filter do you still need to use the angled adaptor or does it work with the standard vertical mount? I'm just getting some header flanges from TTI and will fabricate from there as far as the exhaust goes.

So Rat Patrol, I'm really curious what forum / post you read about the Mopar crate GEN3 426 being a different, outer dimension than the other Gen3s. They're just plain wrong, which I think is important for the OP to know.
I've already stated - Moparts and the LX Forum.

But it wasn't specific to Indy product - which is where you may be misreading my previous post.

It's a simple issue - on a couple of forums I read of crate 426 cui flat tappet Hemi motors being referred to as "Gen 3" - as opposed to the original FACTORY made 66-71 motors as "Gen 2".

This is the reason I believed the OP was referring to a crate "old school" hemi.

If this terminology is "wrong" in your opinion..... I'm happy to acknowledge it as I'm a victim of misinformation....(probably not a first on the internet....)

But in my defence.....it's not as if I have nothing to contribute on the topic assuming it's a 6.1 block....so clearly I picked it up from somewhere.

Yes HardVg works with standard vertical pass car oil filter .
I'll Pm you a picture ,

Mo-cars, that's a 6 speed GM box and a customers car.

Wow that is nuts about the floor/firewall deal. You guys make us Yank's seem like a bunch of babies in comparison.

Good point Bakerlite , having the engine centered does not necessarily put the whole engine in the center of the engine bay . However there is some room in the tunnel to get it close , or center with some creative clearancing , the RHD Big Block guys do it often .
Also the K set up I showed does have some adjustability , one should be able to find a happy compromise .
Alot depends on the trans you want to use .

HemiDenny .
First of I will say I was impressed on the quality and price of the HDK set up , and was considering this for my car , however as you state , the cost of importing puts it out of reach for some people .
Our RHD steering box mounts on the inside of the right chassis rail (picture )

The steering is really quite different from the LH version. Not just a reverse mirror of ours. Actually it tucks more rearward and out of the way.

Thanks for the compliment.
Someday we will get this freight business handled to be more economical for you guys. I'm thinking a container to hold a half dozen assemblies. I live close to a major air shipping hub.

-
Back