General Lee on ebay

-
Just goes to show how out of hand this car "collecting" hobby has gotten.
2 mil for a charger? I don't care who owned it, this is silly.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!2 MILH,nO FUC#*!NG WAY!!Just because that nice blonde Girl had her butt seated on it?!

Is the auction, & the bids, for real? There's another GL that was used in the movies on ebay & it's still in a "reasonable" price range. Famous cars always bring more money than normal cars but 2.3 mil is a little nuts. I am always suspicious of auctions I see online.

I had a friend who passed away several years ago who made a living from buying & selling famous cars. I got to ride in one of the original Smokey & the Bandit Trans Ams. Very cool car!

Justcruisin' said:
Is the auction, & the bids, for real? There's another GL that was used in the movies on ebay & it's still in a "reasonable" price range. Famous cars always bring more money than normal cars but 2.3 mil is a little nuts. I am always suspicious of auctions I see online.

I had a friend who passed away several years ago who made a living from buying & selling famous cars. I got to ride in one of the original Smokey & the Bandit Trans Ams. Very cool car!

its probably because its one of the original 4 close-up cars and the fact that it was owned by "Bo Duke" and that it has been in several different movies that makes idioits want to bid $2.3M. I would rather buy a 427 Cobra.

Someone is restoring the very first General Lee #1 car right now, I wonder what that will bring!! The car was practally destroyed and left to rot. The whole car was almost rebodied. It was the car that was in the opening jump scene of each show. It was just featured in a Mopar magizine.

dukes of hazzard has a huge following,, and that #4 out of 4 cars built for the last duke movie is owned and raced by john,,aka bo duke,,it has a 511 inch HEMI,, only reason its that high famous movie car,,and owned by a movie star his personal car,,all tho who ever the nut was that painted the engine bay black,,doent know that ma mopar painted there engine bays car colored,,
the guy that played cooter,,the tow truck driver on thet tv show,, still makes a living of of it,,he has reunions once a year,,2007 is sold out 27000 people headed there,,,and several general lee clones,, i seen a film clip from last years event,,they jumped a charger,,it went up came straight down,,hit the ground head on,,,well theres another charger in mopar heaven,it was junk after that stunt
maybe ill paint a 01 on my cuda and try to e bay it,,,,

Mopar Muscle did a write up on that event and at the end begged them to stop trashing chargers. the chargers for the TV show all had special "VIN" plates on the driverside dash. GL1 for chases and ground stunts, GL2 for the smaller jumps, and GL3 for the "Good god theres not a streight pannel on that car" jumps.

Ah, what it would be like to have more money than brains.

Chuck :-| I do, unfortunatly its not much money.

It was a for real auction. I just read an article about it on MSNBC. It ended at $9,900,500. What a joke. Sorry but there just ain't no car worth that kind of money.

From the SF Chronicle:

(05-04) 19:37 PDT San Jose, Calif. (AP) --

A version of the General Lee — a 1969 Dodge Charger made famous in the television show "The Dukes of Hazzard" — fetched a winning bid of nearly $10 million Friday in an online auction.

If the bidder comes through with cash or financing for the $9,900,500 price, the car will be the most expensive item ever sold by eBay Inc., company spokeswoman Catherine England said.

Actor John Schneider, who played the blond heartthrob Bo Duke in the show, sold the car, which was not featured in the original show but carries the signatures of the cast.

Schneider, 47, said Friday that he expected bidding for the orange coupe, which has "01" on the doors and is emblazoned with the Confederate flag, to go for $3 million at most.

"In my wildest dreams, two people would get into a bidding war at about $2.5 million ... and I would have been delighted with that. However, I'm three times as delighted as that now," he laughed.

All the living original cast members and crew from the show, which started in 1979, signed their autographs under the hood of the car. It was also featured in the movie "Dukes Go To Hollywood," and Schneider raced it in The Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada.

The actor said he would use the money to help produce a sequel to his 2006 movie "Collier & Co."

"I think I'll go on vacation first and then make the movie," said Schneider, who after "Dukes" acted on Broadway and had roles on shows including "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" and "Smallville.""This is really, really quite amazing."

When bidding escalated this week, customer service representatives at San Jose, Calif.-based eBay called Schneider and recommended he take bids only from pre-qualified eBay customers who could confirm financing and provide other details. Although all eBay bids are considered a legally binding contract, the transaction isn't official.

E-mails to the winning bidder, who uses the screen name "Fishbashr1" and beat out 60 other bids, went unanswered on Friday afternoon.

"The way it works is the money and vehicle swap hands between buyer and seller, but until we hear from buyer and seller we have no way of verifying whether the transaction happened," England said.

The current eBay record sale is $4.9 million for a private jet several years ago.

When I think of all of the perfectly good chargers that have been violated by this movment it makes me ill. I saw another one wrecked in one of those stupid jumps at a recent GL rally. Next time, instead of destoying the beautiful machine, why don't they just give it to one of us!

My $0.02 -LY

wel some one i hope wil let us know if its a done real deal or not,,

it is a world of big dollar people that cant even change a spark plug screwing up our little muscle car world,,and making it hard for us to efford a kool car,,,

but im glad its A MOPAR,, making all this noise,, and not a brand X,,,

busted knuckles said:
Ah, what it would be like to have more money than brains.

Chuck :-| I do, unfortunatly its not much money.

That's funny you mention that, after I wrote that I thought, I do have more money than brains, the problem is it is only $10 dollars, LOL

Chuck

-
Back