Getting fed up...

-
Watch out for Rock Auto; I ordered a water pump, received the correct part number on the box, but the wrong water pump inside the box. There was no way to contact a human being so I could explain, arranging an exchange or return all had to be done online, with no place to describe the actual problem. I was offered a full refund for the part, but would have to eat the shipping to return. Their mistake! I put the water pump on a shelf and haven't bought from Rock Auto since then.

Update on Rock Auto. I managed to find an email address by digging deeper into their website, and they responded next day, said I could keep the part and are sending me a new part to replace wrongly labeled, all free of charge.
Wow. Terrific service, once I was able to communicate with a human being.
I’ll continue buying from Rock Auto after this- often they’re the only place to find reasonably priced parts.

Rock auto sells mispackaged parts i.e. the p/n is correct yet the wrong part is in the box. I sent a note with my return and no reply. You should share that email address.

Today I had the pleasure of helping the guy that runs the local saw mill repair his Case 580 backhoe. The NAPA ignition switch failed in three months. The NAPA replacement he had doesn't look promising either. It was hard for me to explain to the old fellow that NAPA is now Chinese junk.

Rock auto sells mispackaged parts i.e. the p/n is correct yet the wrong part is in the box. I sent a note with my return and no reply. You should share that email address.

Today I had the pleasure of helping the guy that runs the local saw mill repair his Case 580 backhoe. The NAPA ignition switch failed in three months. The NAPA replacement he had doesn't look promising either. It was hard for me to explain to the old fellow that NAPA is now Chinese junk.
Agree with both of these...

Watch out for Rock Auto; I ordered a water pump, received the correct part number on the box, but the wrong water pump inside the box. There was no way to contact a human being so I could explain, arranging an exchange or return all had to be done online, with no place to describe the actual problem. I was offered a full refund for the part, but would have to eat the shipping to return. Their mistake! I put the water pump on a shelf and haven't bought from Rock Auto since then.
I just went through this with RA for a mis-boxed caliper. Although a pita to package, they sent me a return shipping label, with tracking info, to cover shipping back. Now, having said that, it will be interesting to see if I get a portion of the original shipping credited to my account.

I always buy small stuff from rock auto The larger items are priced good but the shipping price kills the deal

here is a link to read and contact

Sometimes you have to emphasize. I have a Cub-Cadet mower and have installed a couple starter relays. Now I installed a starter button, as back in the day. Starts every time now, just don't forget to turn the key on. LOL

When I buy from them. I try to buy multiple items from the same shipping location. That way you can save on shipping. Example: I buy 3 oil filters and a couple fuel filters as well as air filters at a time.

And I know I'm not the only one.
This is a parts rant. Replacement parts have become such a hit-and-miss proposition, it seems like it's at less than 50/50 odds anymore. Every time I order parts (and it doesn't matter where the source is, O'Reiley, Napa, Rock- they all sell the same crap now) it seems like half of them go back. Just in the past weeks I've dealt with defective or incorrect master cylinders, fuel pumps, voltage regulators, fuel filters, tires; and timing chains that have more slop in them than the one I'm replacing... seems like half of my "car time" is spent returning or repairing/rebuilding "new" parts, and that's not an exaggeration. And the source doesn't matter anymore, either- what used to be the "quality/go-to" brands are just as bad as everyone else. And it's not just offshore junk, a lot is made domestically too. This is getting to be frustrating as H*ll, and I'm actually beginning to think it would be a better investment of my time and money to just sell it all and take up stamp collecting. Well, that ain't gonna happen- but the thought has occurred to me more than once. But this has definitely taken most of the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby for me. It's becoming a chore that I don't look forward to anymore. I've quit doing side jobs and repairs for anyone else, since I can't guarantee any kind of quality or satisfaction, and I ain't going to put my name on the line for things that are out of my control.
Rant over for now.
Professor Fate: Keep ranting. The poor quality of replacement parts ruined the hobby for me. I replaced all the front end bushings on my Dart with Moog parts only to find the front half of the strut rod bushings on the floor one morning. And I do know how to do this job so not the fault of my workmanship. I, too, replaced master cylinders 4 times before I found one that would allow for proper seating of the brake lines. Back in the '70s we still had factory stuff on the shelf. In the '80's quality replacement parts were available. Then changes started. Slowly, but now it's almost impossible to find a real, OEM quality, replacement part. I've stopped even wishing for the "good old days" as they are gone. Now, thanks for allowing me to pile on.

And I know I'm not the only one.
This is a parts rant. Replacement parts have become such a hit-and-miss proposition, it seems like it's at less than 50/50 odds anymore. Every time I order parts (and it doesn't matter where the source is, O'Reiley, Napa, Rock- they all sell the same crap now) it seems like half of them go back. Just in the past weeks I've dealt with defective or incorrect master cylinders, fuel pumps, voltage regulators, fuel filters, tires; and timing chains that have more slop in them than the one I'm replacing... seems like half of my "car time" is spent returning or repairing/rebuilding "new" parts, and that's not an exaggeration. And the source doesn't matter anymore, either- what used to be the "quality/go-to" brands are just as bad as everyone else. And it's not just offshore junk, a lot is made domestically too. This is getting to be frustrating as H*ll, and I'm actually beginning to think it would be a better investment of my time and money to just sell it all and take up stamp collecting. Well, that ain't gonna happen- but the thought has occurred to me more than once. But this has definitely taken most of the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby for me. It's becoming a chore that I don't look forward to anymore. I've quit doing side jobs and repairs for anyone else, since I can't guarantee any kind of quality or satisfaction, and I ain't going to put my name on the line for things that are out of my control.
Rant over for now.
This is nothing new. I remember going to NAPA and CarQuest multiple times with garbage remanufactured alternators one weekend. We finally clued in and made them test them before we accepted them.

-
Back