Grand Spaulding Dodge

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
This is one place I REALLY wish I could have visited back in the day. How many of the members here have been there, and better still how many members have cars that came from this dealership? Please post pictures of the dealership and any cars that were bought there.

I met Mr.Norm a few years back at a local car show. I got to talking to him and he told me an interesting story.

He said that they used to purposefully advertise on the radio station WLS (AM 89) at night. During the day, they had to "turn down" the power from the antennae that they were using to broadcast from the top of the Sears Tower. At night, they were allowed to "Crank up" the power and the advertisement could be heard from the east coast to the west coast (California). So they would advertise on WLS at night so it could reach out to more people across the country. ---> Very clever...

Mr. Norm is a real nice guy and easy to talk to. I bought some memorabilia from him and got him, his son, and grandson to autograph some of them. Three generations of Mr. Norm!

I told him that I appreciated him "showing up" Chrysler by making the GSS'es and proving that a 440 could fit into an a-body, so then Chrysler offered them in '69. He never really looked at it that way.

I remember those ads on WLS. I really wanted to buy from Grand Spaulding Dodge, but being broke, 14 and in PA it wasn't meant to be.

There in 1971 looking at 340 Demons lots of muscle cars. Didn't buy from him to far away (3 hours) but saw what I liked and ordered one local

Here's a couple I found on the net.............

Attachments

• gs1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 407
  • gs2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 392
A real Legend for sure...just think if he was still doing his magic 2day on the new challys and others,had one of his dusters[72 I think] yrs ago 340/auto ran best of 13.40's in street form thru the exhaust/street tires,smoking the rinds all the way down the track,3.55 gears no mods had 76k one owner,orange/white strips/rallye wheels..didnt know it at time just that it ran better than any stock 340 cars I had previously...funny thing was it got 18-19mpg if you kept your foot out of it but when you stomped it you could watch the gas gauge move..big thermoquad..I didnt even know what grand spaulding was at the time and wished I had never parted with it,it has since been restored to pristine cond and lives in a warehouse in Kc,Mo...with 77k showing...

I met Mr.Norm a few years back at a local car show. I got to talking to him and he told me an interesting story.

He said that they used to purposefully advertise on the radio station WLS (AM 89) at night. During the day, they had to "turn down" the power from the antennae that they were using to broadcast from the top of the Sears Tower. At night, they were allowed to "Crank up" the power and the advertisement could be heard from the east coast to the west coast (California). So they would advertise on WLS at night so it could reach out to more people across the country. ---> Very clever...

Mr. Norm is a real nice guy and easy to talk to. I bought some memorabilia from him and got him, his son, and grandson to autograph some of them. Three generations of Mr. Norm!

I told him that I appreciated him "showing up" Chrysler by making the GSS'es and proving that a 440 could fit into an a-body, so then Chrysler offered them in '69. He never really looked at it that way.

Great story to hear about Norm transmitting off the Sears Tower for his advertising.

Great story to hear about Norm transmitting off the Sears Tower for his advertising.

Thanks, I found it interesting when he told me. I thought that I would share it with our FABO friends.

I remember listening to WLS growing up as a kid. I don't remember the ads...

Larry Lujack just died recently. He was the morning DJ back then, with his sidekick, Tommy Edwards (aka "Snot Nosed Tommy" or "Lil' Tommy"), who now works at a local FM station 104.3 for 70's, 80's, 90's hit music.

The article for Larry passing stated that he was one of the first "shock jocks" that started the whole "Morning Show" thing. RIP Larry.

Didn't close I think Chrysler pulled the dealership rights in the mid or late 70's but the dealership went on as a used lot for a time.

I have a 71 Demon GSS with 57k miles on it and a 76 KZ 900 LTD that was a custom bike sold there too. Not sure if I have any pics of the car on this machine or not.

I have a 71 Demon GSS with 57k miles on it and a 76 KZ 900 LTD that was a custom bike sold there too. Not sure if I have any pics of the car on this machine or not.

Don't tease us like that dud!!! LOL

Here is my bike. You might recognize the lady from the cover of the newest MCG. I'm the guy that talked her into the shirt last summer at the Belvidere Mopar Happening and made all that possible. Got no credit for my work as usual though.

Attachments

• IMG_1776.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 318
Is that THE same shirt on the cover of the magazine!?!?! I knew that looked familiar!

Here is my GSS. It's the only CORRECT and fully documented 71 GSS you will see.
It's not the nicest one out there though but it's good enough for me.

Attachments

• Demon GSS.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 341
Here we are after I spent 25 minutes talking her into this shirt. She thought it was too small for her. I told her is was too small for me, not her.

Attachments

• Direct Conn..jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 269
A old friend of mine has a 71 340 6pak demon that was a Mr norm's car when he bought the car the original owner removed the 6pak setup cause he couldn't get the car to idle right . The set up was still in the trunk when he bought it. FC-7, black interior bucket seats console, white stripes and ramcharger hood

-
Back