Guess that bolt ....new game

-
They are designed that way for clearance under the dust shield and the back of the engine block .

I get the thin head, but why the grooves?

I had figured that the grooves on the top were to reduce the chance of cracking from repetitive flexing motion of the flex plate .......the grooves reduce the flat area that could crack??????

im just guessing ...I have no documentation of that ...just what I think.

I kinda wonder if the factory used a special socket that fit the grooves because of high torque on a thin head.

Flex plate bolts don't have a whole lot of torque on them. 35 ft/lbs I think!! Geof

Some don't have the slots in the bolts. You see this on flex-plate, flywheel, torque converter. and clutch fan bolts. So I am not sure why they are there but you don't always see them on later years.

this one will be interesting....what do you guys think....no clue given by request

Attachments

• CIMG3076.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 234
  • CIMG3075.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 227
I believe that's one of the bolts on the front of the small block, maybe the thrust plate bolt, and I believe that goes on the bottom right corner for the oil to pass through out of the valley area and onto the timing chain slinger!! Of course I could be wrong!!!...

Apart from the engine and tranny internals I've removed every bolt on an A body and don't recall that one. Then again, could be my Alzheimers. :)

I believe that's one of the bolts on the front of the small block, maybe the thrust plate bolt, and I believe that goes on the bottom right corner for the oil to pass through out of the valley area and onto the timing chain slinger!! Of course I could be wrong!!!...

Yup, easy one!

that very first one doesn't look like any of my pressure plate bolts....mine are all 3/8.that looks like a 4 speed side cover bolt.

yup......it caught my attention being so unique ...I don't recall this bolt in a BB so I think its SB only ...this one came from a 70 318 I junked recently.

that's pretty good that you got it with no clue given :thumblef::bball:

yup......it caught my attention being so unique ...I don't recall this bolt in a BB so I think its SB only ...this one came from a 70 318 I junked recently.

that's pretty good that you got it with no clue given :thumblef::bball:

holes a dead giveaway.

Keep it going Rani. It could become a reference thread for hardware ID :)

ok, for uncle Geof since his phone didn't let him upload

Attachments

• image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 179
this screw has been an interesting fastener to me ......when I was putting a 68 cuda dash together I did some research on it and I found the same screw in two different lengths, R/T specialties also lists two different lengths ....not a huge difference in length but enough to make them noticeably different.

I have found this same type of screw on a 71 demon with the standard dash as well as B-body rally dashes.

where I am unclear is which dash uses which length version.

I almost want to say that the 67-69 cuda dash uses both lengths but the placement is still unclear to me.......I almost want to say that the longer ones are on the dash face and the shorter ones go upward through the cluster to top lip of the frame.

also I have found this screw in two different finishes .....the cuda dash takes an argent silver finish....most 70+ ones I have seen are a black phosphate finish.

Umm, I am not looking for the application for this screw, that would be too easy!! I am looking for someone to name the style of this screw, or maybe more appropriately, the correct name for the style of head on this screw!! You know, like the drywall screws are Bugle head, and the sheet metal screws are Pan Head?? Without peeking or googling, I want someone to name that screw!!... Geof

-
Back